20 coaches online • Server time: 06:37
Forum Chat
Recent Forum Topics goto Post RNG speculationsgoto Post Secret Stunty Cup - ...goto Post FUMBBL HAIKU'S
SearchSearch 
View previous topic Log in to check your private messages View next topic
Azurus

Post   Posted: Mar 18, 2005 - 12:37 Reply with quote Back to top

I don't have much trouble with slow players, my turns are usually about 90 seconds, so the game wil still fit into a reasonable length of time.

As an aside, somebody mentioned having a seperate division/tourney where the limit is enforced, I think a better idea would be to have a tourney with an enforced 2-min turn time, and no breaks. Sounds a bit harsh, but it allows a place where people know they can get a quick game in if they don't have time for a full-length match. (would be about 1-hour games) And of course, anybody entering would know the rules going in and, if they have to take a break, tough, they miss their turn.

Oh, and
DukeTyrion wrote:
How about we just get more stats on coaches on the coaches page.

Average time taken per turn

Because this would result in slow coaches never playing a game, ever, and so not being able to get any faster.

Post   Posted: Dec 25, 2005 - 10:53 Reply with quote Back to top

Da_Todfatha wrote:
Think of it this way, Even if you count the turn limit (4minutes per LRB)its 64 minutes that your opponent has to make his moves total. that's without you taking any time to make yours. give yourself half that time 32 minutes and you are still looking at one and a half hours to play a game.

Quit starting games with less than that amount of time available. Its a game and you should enjoy it. obviously avoid playing games with coaches that decrease your enjoyment of the game.

Plus you could always concede the match and get out of it. Wink

I agree with this on so many levels, for example how many of you guys in here can honestly say that you could play a tabletop game in 1hr and a half? Unless you play TT pretty regularly than that's quite a feat! BB is fun and to have the most fun with it you have to relax and take the time to enjoy it. I'm also a firm believer in avoiding those you know you wont enjoy playing, but if it's a new coach thats really slow, give 'em a chance! Many times for me such coaches given a chance, have turned in to good opponents and buddies.

Azurus: I love that idea for a quick turn tourney, I'm always looking for a quicker way to get my BB fix if I don't have time for a full scale one.
I reckon a better implementation may well be to have a channel for it though. Since the most attractive feature is being able to squeeze more BB into those odd spare hours, the less you must play by "x" date the better in that case.

Bloodnutt: I may not be speaking for the majority here but... Imo bloodbowl, although warhammer even more so, attracts a lot of different people. A significant portion of which are self confessed geeks with calculating scheming minds who love to plan every detail of the game! I agree this can lessen the fun for the opponent who just wants to go for the jugular as such. But come on! Have some good grace and suck it up. It's all the fun of the fair, in my although limited geographical experience GW stores have always been welcoming and friendly to all. Personally I think FUMBBL should reflect that attitude too. I'm also very glad to see it does indeed on the whole.

Sgt.
Laviak

Post   Posted: Dec 25, 2005 - 11:23 Reply with quote Back to top

fairly recently, I had to play a game from a friends computer, which was an AMD 400, with 64Mb of RAM, struggling to run windows XP. Although I really tried to play withing the 4 minute time limit, it was simply not possible to move 11 players in that time. It was frustrating enough for me .. let alone my poor opponent (thanks Chunky).

My usual approaches to slow players ...
1: plan out your following turn during their turn.
2: type away in the chat window, and keep yourself entertained that way.
3: do something else in between - push-ups, sit-ups and other simple excercises are a good distraction.

Peach

Post   Posted: Feb 12, 2006 - 19:52 Reply with quote Back to top

Perhaps when you view your opposing coaches statistics you should be able to view his average turn time?

Post   Posted: Feb 12, 2006 - 19:58 Reply with quote Back to top

I propose that those people who criticize someone for bringing up a topic that's already been discussed, and who like nothing better than to naysay good ideas open their eyes newly and realize there are solutions out there. A chess clock type system doesn't limit your time on any one specific turn so you can answer the door and go to the bathroom and still spend your time how you like.
Fama

Post   Posted: Feb 12, 2006 - 20:08 Reply with quote Back to top

Well, I hate slow players too, and once conceded because my opponent was both very lucky AND extremely slow. I don't think we should make it an automatic turnover after 4 mins or something, for many reasons. But I would like it if there was a channel where fast players could join, and maybe play fast games together. Then again, they'd still have to wait 10 games before playing again. Oh well.

Post   Posted: Feb 12, 2006 - 20:26 Reply with quote Back to top

Peach has got it right. There's no way of implementing time-limits that isn't open to abuse (or isn't unfair on beginners).

If you could see your opponents average turn-time you would know if they're slow or not. If you're impatient then don't play slow players. If you like to take your time then play against similiar players. And if you start a game against someone who is proven slow then don't complain.

I've only been playing fumbll for a week, but I've played 1 person who was incredibly slow (2:30m). I just started doing something else, but I almost had to miss the end to go to work. I've also played games where I got complained at because the game was going over the hour mark. I hurried up. Trouble was my opponent didn't tell me I was being slow until near the end when he was already annoyed with me. It would be better if we knew what to expect.

Of course sometimes you can't help but have a quick turn, and after only a few games the average wouldn't be a very accurate representation, but it would even out.
magan174

Post   Posted: Feb 12, 2006 - 21:13 Reply with quote Back to top

I dont like this thread. Who are we to decide in what way anyone should play? Some are slow some are fast, I'm both. It depends on the game I'm playing.

I see two diferent ways for you to deal with the time problem

1. Send his players off the field. This means less players for him to move

2. Try "Look good in bathing suit, summer 2006". This means you do 30 push ups and 30 sit ups during your opponents turn. In total, 480 of both after the game (if theres not Inj time or extra time). And if there is more time you have to spend during your oppos loooong turns. Do some Burpees. Man are you gonna look good in that bathing suit of yours! Razz

There you got it. If you go for nr 2. Pls send me a piq of you in the "suit" this summer. Rolling Eyes
shadow46x2

Post   Posted: Feb 12, 2006 - 21:14 Reply with quote Back to top

omfg....

i can't believe you buttpirates dredged up this topic again...

what was wrong? was the lack of fouling threads not enough for you?

--j

ImageImage
koadah

Post   Posted: Feb 12, 2006 - 21:19 Reply with quote Back to top

Does anyone think that get the ref is too powerful?

Post   Posted: Feb 12, 2006 - 21:25 Reply with quote Back to top

Is there a Fumbbl rule? if so what is it?

I'd say that if you need our games finished within an hour you should say so before the match is agreed. If you don't say anything then don't moan about it.

Similarly, if you are going to take more than four minutes for nearly every turn you should also say so before the game is agreed.

Post   Posted: Feb 12, 2006 - 21:25 Reply with quote Back to top

koadah wrote:
Does anyone think that get the ref is too powerful?

That's OT, but gtr can be bitterly exploited when it shows up early in the half for a team with dp against a team without dp.

JanMattys

Post   Posted: Feb 12, 2006 - 21:33 Reply with quote Back to top

koadah wrote:
Is there a Fumbbl rule? if so what is it?

I'd say that if you need our games finished within an hour you should say so before the match is agreed. If you don't say anything then don't moan about it.

Similarly, if you are going to take more than four minutes for nearly every turn you should also say so before the game is agreed.

In the rules it is stated that you are expected to have at least 1h30m of time to finish the game.

Post   Posted: Feb 12, 2006 - 21:34 Reply with quote Back to top

I got thru a 1hrand50mintue game the other day. painfull!
espically considering it was ~TR130.
maxlongstreet

Post   Posted: Feb 12, 2006 - 21:38 Reply with quote Back to top

I play chess online, and all the major sites have various time controls that work flawlessly. What's the big deal? I understand that this is a free site, and that Skijunkie or someone would have to generously code it--Other than that, there's no reason it couldn't happen.
 Jump to: