45 coaches online • Server time: 14:43
Forum Chat
Recent Forum Topics goto Post Making Assassins mor...goto Post ramchop takes on the...goto Post NAF Charity Tourney ...
SearchSearch 
View previous topic Log in to check your private messages View next topic
chunky04

Post   Posted: Oct 16, 2005 - 22:54 Reply with quote Back to top

I suggest you try starting a group and actually trying to start up a tournament and seeing exactly how limited fumbbl is in this regard fool.

Our goal every season with the regionals is:

1) Try to avoid byes

2) Try to have everyone play everyone in each division.

Unfortunately, for the former you need an even number of teams. The main solution we have thought of here is for one of the admins (obviously one not in the regionals already) to use another team. However, there are a number of problems with this. First off, there will undoubtedly be people who whine about why that guy gets two teams. There is also the problem of trying to fit in another scheduled game into the admins schedule. Ideally we'd be able to make a joint admin account on fumbbl and play the games with whoever can at the time, but even with this there is still the issue of the admins motivation - he still ain't going to be playing as though getting out of regionals depended on it.

2) This is the really tough one - for this we need exactly 24 coaches, or to change the entire structure of the league between each season - something we've already tried to stop doing after many complaining about the league changing too often. Now, we could use a Swiss draw to make Regional even tougher, as winners would play winners tourney style. Swiss causes a lot of problems with regards to forfeits though, which is why we discarded it in the past.

If you can go back and find some of these good interesting ideas that were shot down without logical reasoning given, by all means do so. The most common reasons by far though are that we've already either used them before or thought of them and thought of reasons why they won't work, or that fumbbl is simply too limited to allow us to use them.

Post   Posted: Oct 16, 2005 - 23:44 Reply with quote Back to top

My 2 cents worth,
Were 3 Regional tournaments considered as follows: 2 tournaments of 10 (all filled) and 1 tounament of 8 with the filler. In the 10 team groups everybody plays 7 of 9 opponents. In the pool of 8 you play all 6 opponents and have a bye, but at least everybody gets the bye.
cheers,
Arta
ClayInfinity

Post   Posted: Oct 17, 2005 - 01:22 Reply with quote Back to top

The objective is to remove byes altogether Arta, not give everyone a bye. You need 7 games to give those that do promote the opportunity to build a competitive TR... If we can recruit that mystical 28th coach, we will have no byes whatsoever.
Rabid_Bogscum

Post   Posted: Oct 17, 2005 - 02:39 Reply with quote Back to top

Have a friend who moved house and has been offline for 3 weeks. He just got adsl modem this morning.. Ill keep you posted ASAP he should be able to make it 28
ClayInfinity

Post   Posted: Oct 17, 2005 - 06:01 Reply with quote Back to top

New SWL Admin

With the departure of neverborn on a sabatical and the desire to keep the new blood happening, I'm pleased to welcome gumbi to the world of SWL Admin...

He is only on training wheels and has no specific responsibility, but he will be able to help newbies out and do as much admin stuff as any other admin...

Well done mate, you've finally reached your goal Smile

Clay

PS - if there are any rules introduced re the banning of Zara, then you'll know who did it...
Laviak

Post   Posted: Oct 17, 2005 - 06:55 Reply with quote Back to top

I wouldn't mind joining in with the regionals I haven't got much in the way of suitable teams .. i guess the wood elves are close, but could do with a couple more games. I also had some amazons that would have been about right (they were retired quite some time ago unfortunately Sad ).

I guess I could see how well the woodies survive Wink

ClayInfinity

Post   Posted: Oct 17, 2005 - 07:09 Reply with quote Back to top

I should point out that joining the SWL requires a) a new team and b) that team must be Amazons, Gobbos or Flings due to racial balance issues.
Virral

Post   Posted: Oct 17, 2005 - 07:24 Reply with quote Back to top

Can someone explain for the benefit of the hard of thinking (me) how the regional draw is set up? It appears like we are already half way through a season which is twice as long as normal.

I am assuming that we go from Round 7 and ignore the previous 6 rounds, I guess I am just confused as to why they were included at all if they are matches we are never going to play. Or am I totally off the mark, and we should be playing all 13 rounds if we have a regional team?

Many thanks from the much confused.

Post   Posted: Oct 17, 2005 - 07:50 Reply with quote Back to top

Nope, you're absolutely correct. The structures fumbbl has in place for tourneys are pretty clunky, and each season we have a bit of a task to try and work out how best to fit the regionals into it, trying to avoid byes and make groups as even and fair as possible, with the avoiding byes taking precedence. In this particular case, 27 was a really awkward number to try to accomodate. You need a multiple of 6 to divide into 3 groups, and a multiple of 4 to divide into two even groups. You also need an even number to ensure no byes. In this case we had none of these. In the end we went with two groups, and are strongly hoping to get one more player to fill the gap.

Since fumbbl round robins mean all teams play all other teams, this means we get a bunch of spare rounds generated just to help confuse people.

Post   Posted: Oct 17, 2005 - 08:25 Reply with quote Back to top

Soooooo.... instead of the high elves I thought I was playing, my ogres are about to "enjoy" a match against a Khemri team?

Well, thats just awesome!

Post   Posted: Oct 17, 2005 - 08:45 Reply with quote Back to top

Long term fumbbler Laviak has agreed to join the SWL and is taking Amazons... once his team is in, then he will replace the "Filler" team... so if you have the bye round 1, then you are now playing Laviak's Zons...
Rabid_Bogscum

Post   Posted: Oct 17, 2005 - 09:03 Reply with quote Back to top

Guys.. just a minor BIG ASS complaint.... I notice that there are 7 new teams in twahns conference but only 3 in mr whippys.. racial considerations aside I had assumed this was to be a more even.. and in my opinion fairer spread. Doesnt seem awefully fair to pit a new paper team against a higher proportion of established teams Sad
JoeKano

Post   Posted: Oct 17, 2005 - 09:04 Reply with quote Back to top

" You can please all of the people some of the time, some of the people all the time, but you cannot please all of the people all of the time"
To those who feel a bit hard done by as far as the draft, the regionals draw, the racial balance issue, try to keep in mind that the admin lads do what they do to please as many of us as they can. Sometimes you will lose out, we have all had moments in our fumbbl history where an admin decision has been disappointing to us or felt it was unfair. But we have to remember that the world does not revolve around just us, as much as we would like it to. Unless your a really big fat guy like me and generate your own gravity field in which case....

I thank the admins for once again making the hard calls, doing the hard thing, and trying their best to keep this comp exciting and entertaining and enjpoyable.

To those of you disappointed, put your concerns in writing and ask that they be considered for next season. For this season, suck it up, show us you got the balls to face adversity, and get out there and prove " You da MAN!" ( or woman ) in the only way that matters, playing hard, taking no crap from your opponent, kicking im when hes down, crowd pushing that bum, running home that TD and playing like it matters!!!

And if it aint your season well in about ten weeks , seems to be average turnoveer of seasons with delays etc, maybe it will be.

Now, im not an admin, i have only been here since season 3 but all in all i think over the history of the comp the admins have managed to please most of us most of the time........

Last edited by JoeKano on %b %17, %2005 - %09:%Oct; edited 1 time in total
Drokmar

Post   Posted: Oct 17, 2005 - 09:06 Reply with quote Back to top

Good to see you took the plunge Laviak Smile Look forward to maybe facing you next season, given i'm in a different Division this season Smile
Espionage

Post   Posted: Oct 17, 2005 - 09:21 Reply with quote Back to top

I like the fact all I have to do is show up, and sombody organizes everything, you don't get service like that much these days...
 Jump to: