46 coaches online • Server time: 21:02
Forum Chat
Recent Forum Topics goto Post Finishing the 60 Gam...goto Post GIF Guidegoto Post TSC Draft
SearchSearch 
View previous topic Log in to check your private messages View next topic
torsoboy

Post   Posted: Feb 17, 2008 - 14:34 Reply with quote Back to top

def909 wrote:
PurpleChest wrote:
Every month or so i try and adopt a noob. talking to them at length a couple of times and maybe spectating a match with them, or that they play. Several of these have stayed and grown and become good fumbblers. I would urge any veteran coach (100 games or more) to be trying to do the same. And to do so fairly, offering them advice not just to recreate 'your niche gaming choices' but introducing them to the whiole variety of fumbbl play..

This "adopting a noob" thing got me thinking... There should be an easy way for noobs to find a mentor. I´d happily help new coaches learn the game on a regular basis, but I only ever do it when I stumble upon a noob on gf.

The whole point of having #fumbblacademy is this.

When I joined, I felt lost in the main channel because there are so many names. After joining #fumbbl_academy (slightly different), it became much easier to get hooked because I had regular coaches to talk to every time I logged on. I thought BadMrMojo especially did a real good job of being patient and thorough enough to explain to this noob here how to play. That aside, the regulars on #fumbbl.nl have kept me coming back again and again.

It's all about being recognized - the ones that leave without a trace never made any friends here.

Post   Posted: Feb 17, 2008 - 14:37 Reply with quote Back to top

CaienCamelle wrote:

You mean the one which starts...

Yup thats the one.
shadow46x2

Post   Posted: Feb 17, 2008 - 14:41 Reply with quote Back to top

torsoboy wrote:
It's all about being recognized - the ones that leave without a trace never made any friends here.

torso hit on a damned good point also.....

want to have this community feel more "welcoming" than it already is?...

how bout stop using IRC as your personal rules lawyer, and come in and chat with people, and make friends?

--j

ImageImage
Pirog

Post   Posted: Feb 17, 2008 - 14:44 Reply with quote Back to top

shadow46x2 wrote:
i'm curious....

people around here know me....they grasp the concept that i'm not here for "emotional fulfillment"...

but why is it that every time i speak my mind on a subject, everyone immediately jumps to the conclusion that i'm some fractured little boy with permanent emotional scars?

it's always amusing to see how long it takes someone to come to that bogus conclusion Smile

--j

Because the concept of evil is quite unmodern. So people will instead explain why you are acting in a disturbingly antisocial way by assuming that you are somehow emotionally damaged.

I for one can't understand how someone who openly admits that he enjoys verbally abusing what he sees as defenseless and weak people can be happy with his own life. It's tragic and cowardous behavior.

You just strike me as a lonely person. I'm glad that you have carved out a position for yourself here in the Fumbbl community, but I would have wished you a more pleasant position than being the resident bad guy that people have somehow grown to tolerate. It seems to take a lot of time and effort to uphold it as well, but you seem to thrive on it. I checked out your bio and you have quoted things like "Shadow is one of those guys, that even when you know you are right, will make you feel like a weak little wus that should have never opened your mouth.". A person that is proud of such comments doesn't strike me as someone with a lot of friends.

I hope it satisfies your curiosity.

Last edited by Pirog on %b %17, %2008 - %14:%Feb; edited 1 time in total
ChrisB

Post   Posted: Feb 17, 2008 - 14:45 Reply with quote Back to top

Amazing how quickly posts go off topic here.

Part of good posting etiquette is staying on topic.

The aim of this post was an interesting view of someones perceived issues and some suggestions in trying to solve them.
OneEye

Post   Posted: Feb 17, 2008 - 14:49 Reply with quote Back to top

shadow46x2 wrote:
i'm curious....

people around here know me....they grasp the concept that i'm not here for "emotional fulfillment"...

but why is it that every time i speak my mind on a subject, everyone immediately jumps to the conclusion that i'm some fractured little boy with permanent emotional scars?

it's always amusing to see how long it takes someone to come to that bogus conclusion Smile

--j

LOL!!!

Anyone who has read HALF the forum entries that you have burdened this entire community with does not believe you are "some fractured little boy with permanent emotional scars"... We all KNOW that you are a self-absorbed stain of a human being who has nothing better to do than sit behind your little computer screen and flame anyone who upsets your delicate view on the world.

Shadow ,regardless of what you mummy whispers into your ear when she tucks you into bed please know this, the ONLY people who get upset over what you post are newbs who cannot understand how a person could be so bitter about their pathetic life that they would flame them for asking a simple skill question.

Yes i know this is uncalled for but seriously, why must we all have to listen to the drivel this human waste piles onto our screens daily??

Anywho on to things that actually matter... perhaps it should be mandatory for any new coach to attend a 'training' chat room where they can be advised of the core rules and no-no's of the community before playing? That way they will avoid the nasty early experiences that many of us have had by asking a basic question in chat.

I know this would be diffficult with admins not here 24/7 but it might reduce the mistakes made when first beginning on FUMBBL... of which i have made several! Maybe some of the senior coaches could occupy this room and when free, offer suggestions and advice to new comers.

When playing over the internet you will have all kinds of people and many just don't read the rules in the excitement of playing their first game, or they don't have a clue how to use IRC effectively. Plus if your a first time player, how are you possibly meant to know all the rules... even after a few months you don't know everything! If your the type of player who has been playing BB for years and years, then try to think back to when you FIRST played the game. NO-ONE knew the game immediately because there are so many rules so GIVE NEWBS A FRICKIN' BREAK!!!
PeteW

Post   Posted: Feb 17, 2008 - 14:49 Reply with quote Back to top

shadow46x2 wrote:
....so feel free to turn your psychobabble towards the other peons and try your luck elsewhere, mmkpumpkin?

might want to buckle in, you're screwed with that mindset...
--j

This got me thinking... who actually talks like this?

And then I worked it out!

Shadow is.....

Dr Perry Cox from TV's Scrubs!

Post   Posted: Feb 17, 2008 - 14:52 Reply with quote Back to top

Pirog wrote:
shadow46x2 wrote:
i'm curious....

--j

Because the concept of evil is quite unmodern. So people will instead explain why you are acting in a disturbingly antisocial way by assuming that you are somehow emotionally damaged.

I for one can't understand how someone who openly admits that he enjoys verbally abusing what he sees as defenseless and weak people can be happy with his own life. It's tragic and cowardous behavior.

You just strike me as a lonely person. I'm glad that you have carved out a position for yourself here in the Fumbbl community, but I would have wished you a more pleasant position than being the resident bad guy that people have somehow grown to tolerate. It seems to take a lot of time and effort to uphold it as well, but you seem to thrive on it. I checked out your bio and you have quoted things like "Shadow is one of those guys, that even when you know you are right, will make you feel like a weak little wus that should have never opened your mouth.". A person that is proud of such comments doesn't strike me as someone with a lot of friends.

I hope it satisfies your curiosity.

Man Pirog you suck!!! You used at least 3/4 less characters than me but it just sounded so good!!!!

Well done!
Pirog

Post   Posted: Feb 17, 2008 - 14:54 Reply with quote Back to top

Quote:
This got me thinking... who actually talks like this?

And then I worked it out!

Shadow is.....

Dr Perry Cox from TV's Scrubs!

And Perry Cox is a self proclaimed jerk and tough guy who feels big by belittling people around him. And people tolerate him to a degree because everyone else knows that he is really a fractured little boy with permanent emotional scars.
PeteW

Post   Posted: Feb 17, 2008 - 14:55 Reply with quote Back to top

I'm now wondering how many people could get banned by breaking the following rules...

# Personal attacks and excessive abusive language is not accepted. Discussing other people's styles of play does not qualify as personal attacks.
# Offensive language - including but not limited to racism, sexual harassment and religious persecution - is not allowed in any form.

Very Happy

Post   Posted: Feb 17, 2008 - 14:56 Reply with quote Back to top

HAHAHAAHAHAHAAHAHAHA....

here's more of that holier than thou attitude....

Pirog wrote:
Because the concept of evil is quote unmodern. So people will instead explain why you are acting in a disturbingly antisocial way by assuming that you are somehow emotionally damaged.

so now i'm evil?...funny...i'd say my family, my friends, my coworkers, associates, anyone who actually knows me, instead of seeing words on a medium, would greatly disagree with you ...good thing your opinion amounts to jack squat, huh?

Pirog wrote:

i never called people defenseless and weak....but if that's your opinion of the people on this site, feel free to have it...i don't share it...

i think there's a very big difference between "defenseless and weak" and "refusing to educate yourself"...

Pirog wrote:

yes, pirog...more ignorant psychobabble....you totally found me out, i'm a completely lonely person...

while my life isn't a million dollar escapade everyday, it's *far* from lonely...my personality takes no effort to maintain or uphold, it's just who i am...abrasive, in your face, no holds barred.....in my opinion, everyone should be like this....people would use their heads a lot more if they were....

and for the record....i have a nice solid group of friends....i *choose* not to surround myself with tons and tons of friends, because they'd all be superficial, braindead associates....i prefer to surround myself with a small group of genuine people....that doesn't make me less of a person, nor does it affect my personality one bit...

but then again, i wouldn't expect you to understand those kinds of personality traits, mr holier than thou....by the way, how's the weather up there?

as for ol_one_eye...

ol_one_eye wrote:
the ONLY people who get upset over what you post are newbs who cannot understand how a person could be so bitter about their pathetic life that they would flame them for asking a simple skill question

you know...for someone who is obviously not bothered in the slightest by my words....

you sure did spend a lot of time concocting some BS rant about how terrible of a person i am....

ironic, isn't it?

--j

ImageImage
Pirog

Post   Posted: Feb 17, 2008 - 15:02 Reply with quote Back to top

No, shadow, I didn't call you evil. I'm on the side that sees your need to be like you are as a result of some kind of personal problems.

And regarding the houlier than thou comment, I frequently admit to having my own flaws. To some people you and me probably look quite a like in many situations. But the biggest difference is that I'm not proud of myself when I cross the line or hurt peoples feelings. And I don't enjoy people disliking me.
shadow46x2

Post   Posted: Feb 17, 2008 - 15:11 Reply with quote Back to top

Pirog wrote:
shadow46x2 wrote:
i'm curious....

--j

then maybe you should go back and edit your comments....cuz they say differently...

--j

ImageImage
Pirog

Post   Posted: Feb 17, 2008 - 15:14 Reply with quote Back to top

Not really, it's just you that misunderstand me.
foresttim

Post   Posted: Feb 17, 2008 - 15:45 Reply with quote Back to top

Back on to topic I am most certainly in the category of newbie. I've played over a 100 games and am under no illusions as to how crap I am. However I am improving and that's mainly down to assistance provided by people on this site (I have played precisely one game outside of Fumbbl)
So as someone who can see both sides of the argument here's my thoughts for what they're worth.
1) Anyone new should be encouraged to read the wealth of useful advice already on the site,the majority of it being contained in the Help/FAQ section,a link in the welcome e-mail as suggested (I think by Paul) would be good. The answers to most of the threads/questions which attract scorn are in there.

2) Mentoring is good and it does actually exist in an informal way already, the question is should it be placed on a more formal setting as suggested by some posters. I'm not sure to be honest. I managed to find my own mentors (I'll explain how in a minute) but I can see how this place can be a bit bewildering at first. Maybe a sticky with a list of coaches willing to help by observing and playing games with newbies would work.

3) Where do you go if the guides don't have the answer to your specific problem? Posting a thread asking for advice on a skill choice is not usually a good idea unless...Its a bit more than that. If its tailored specifically to a particular player,or your team or playstyle,then the answer isn't always straightforward if you're new and the guides only provide general advice. I've asked advice loads of times on what skills to choose but never in general chat and never in a thread. I've attached myself to several leagues/groups and I ask there. I've never had a rude response mainly because its more personal and hopefully more obvious that as advocated by Shadow I have done my research but still need help. Now I didn't choose to join any of the groups aimed specifically at newbies. I looked around and tried to see which groups/leagues I might like to be a part of long term . I've found that if you can demonstrate a commitment and aren't a complete dick then the existing members are only too willing to help. Lets face it it's in their interests to do so or you won't improve and the satisfaction of beating you will be diminished. It is important that you do your research and choose the right groups,drop into chat channel if they have one and get the feel of things.You will find it difficult to get accepted into any leagues/groups unless you can show a bit of commitment so its important you don't join and leave at the drop of a hat.

4) If you are going to post a thread asking for advice explaining what steps you've taken to find the answer is a good idea. The more info you give the better. I've only posted once asking for advce and it was to do with tactics when you're outnumbered. I explained the exact nature of my problem,what I had been doing to try and overcome it, and gave some specifics. I got loads of useful responses and advice, down to people offering to play me and go through it with me,

To sum up I suppose what I'm trying to say is that on respect of the majority of newbie problems, the help is there if you know where to look. The problem arises in the odd situation that is more specific. I knew when I put my new Zons up for a game in gamefinder that the endless queue of dwarf coaches were cherrypicking me.Why? I'd read Prasomachai's excellent guide to playing Zons which spelt it out! However some of the other cherrypicking isn't obvious unless you are a bit more experienced. It's knowing where to look in that situation that's a problem. Hope that helps .
 Jump to: