22 coaches online • Server time: 02:07
Forum Chat
Recent Forum Topics goto Post need some practicegoto Post Finishing the 60 Gam...goto Post ramchop takes on the...
SearchSearch 
View previous topic Log in to check your private messages View next topic
Dominik

Post   Posted: Dec 10, 2014 - 01:05 Reply with quote Back to top

Mr_Foulscumm wrote:
Your opponent only won because he got good dice and you got bad dice.

Yes.
Quote:
Although, we're certainly not blaming your opponent, since he had nothing to do with the dice that were rolled. Still, damn him for being such a filthy and unattractive lucker!

I did not imply nor say that.
It was not the intent of my initial OT posting to discuss the glory of the win but to point on the CR formula. Evil people brought up the discussion, well aware that my loose mouth entraps me.
Who seperated the posting from the thread?
Mr_Foulscumm

Post   Posted: Dec 10, 2014 - 01:08 Reply with quote Back to top

That would have been Pgoo, and he was absolutely right to do so, since it has nothing at all to do with the thread you originally posted in.

Post   Posted: Dec 10, 2014 - 01:10 Reply with quote Back to top

Match reports are totally the wrong place to put bad feelings or whine. This is not what they are there for. They're there to add atmosphere and fluff to the game (or to keep notes if you must). What on earth can you gain by throwing a tantrum in a match report like a spoilt child?

Remember these are for other people to read, and there's nothing more depressing for site members than reading a whine fest in match reports. In fact I've seen new coaches copy established coaches in doing this. I believe it's your responsibility to write something uplifting, adds commentary, fluff or something funny. Not use it because you're too cheap to pay for a shrink or don't have a wife.

What really makes me laugh, is when a top picker complains about losing to dice. Of course you lost to dice, that's a no brainer. The matches you take, there's no way you'd lose otherwise....duh. There was an infamous one during your time that played a lot of Elves that did this.
Dominik

Post   Posted: Dec 10, 2014 - 01:11 Reply with quote Back to top

Next time its better to delete it since I wondered already publicly about the CR formula and seperate threads with themes and openers like these are not very fruitful.

Harvestmouse: its always the top pickere who complain the loudest about dices since they play to win. Other coaches who try to pose as the relaxed guy but whining in chat on bad dices are hypocrites.

I play a lot in BB though and it helps to reduce the time wasting on gamefinder. I remember my last active day on FUMBBL in 2009 before I paused for five years: I was having a 2 hours bblfg marathon in irc and no cherry dropped down. Then I left.
Harvestmouse:
Are you available every Tuesday night for counseling?
I feel strong ties with you.

Last edited by Dominik on %b %10, %2014 - %01:%Dec; edited 3 times in total
Mr_Foulscumm

Post   Posted: Dec 10, 2014 - 01:17 Reply with quote Back to top

Dominik, people have answered you why you lost 1.4 CR from a single match.

Because: Nurgle.

And you were the one that linked the match report. It's not like people dug it out and threw it in your face. I think maybe, next time, don't write a match report like that at all, because it won't serve you in the long run.

Post   Posted: Dec 10, 2014 - 01:19 Reply with quote Back to top

Well that's progress. Christer isn't making CR public. I think he'd be happy you care about CR, because it's fashionable to say you don't......and he does put work into things like that.

I think average loss would be around 1 CR point, right? You had almost even CR, so that wouldn't have added much. Nurgle are a better team at that TV, so that would probably add the rest. So at the end of the day, it's not that much. Once you go over 170, the CR formula will try it's hardest to beat you back down to size, no matter how much you try and game TV and CRP. So, live with it and move on.
pythrr

Post   Posted: Dec 10, 2014 - 01:22 Reply with quote Back to top

Dominik wrote:
Mr_Foulscumm wrote:
I know how fun it is to feel like your at the mercy of dice. In fact we all do. And yes it sucks. But the dice rolled, good or bad, is at no point your opponents fault.

The dices are nobody's fault, at least not until the admin client is proven true.

do not doubt the admin client!

Post   Posted: Dec 10, 2014 - 01:30 Reply with quote Back to top

The admin client is real. It just isn't what you think it is.

I think what you might be trying to say is 'gloating in a match or match report is also bad form'. Which is true.

Play like a gent, get on and shake hands afterwards. However, in box you lose nothing by not respecting your opponent. This is one of the main problems with the division. Maybe we need a slogan campaign [B] quiet, and keep the gloating and whining for the playground.
Smeat

Post   Posted: Dec 10, 2014 - 02:03 Reply with quote Back to top

Azure wrote:
pythrr wrote:
what's CR?
No idea...but I am a super star! That makes me feel warm and fuzzy inside!

I was a Superstar a couple months ago - then I tried to figure out how Slann work. Razz

CR can be pretty messed up.

(...and what exactly do you think they do with all those dead players?...)
Waterboy

Post   Posted: Dec 10, 2014 - 09:20 Reply with quote Back to top

If you are such a fantastic coach, why do then take unnessary risk like exposing your ag4 player in T1 and throwing blockless blocks early in your turns, which caused early turnovers. You maybe did had some bad dice but not all game. I think we should close it here mate Smile
Purplegoo

Post   Posted: Dec 10, 2014 - 10:28 Reply with quote Back to top

JimmyFantastic wrote:
First thing you should have done was petty in a wiz.
Every single match anyone has ever played they could have played better - you could have played better so don't blame the dice, blame yourself.

Jimmy lives up to his signature. Wink

It’s always a lot easier to blame dice than yourself. It’s a perfectly reasonable human response, and a trap we all fall into most times we don’t win, at least on some subliminal level. But it’s also true no-one has ever played the perfect game of Blood Bowl.

The beauty of FUMBBL is that you can prove that to yourself over and over again. Is it more helpful to absolve yourself of guilt by blaming dice, or to look at your errors and consider what you’d do differently next time?

Either way, it feels a bit like bad form to drag this out over the forum, even if you didn’t mean it to grow the legs it has. The two of you should just settle it on the pitch the next time you run into each other. Or, even better, dance off that we as a forum judge? Freestyle rules, get them uploaded, gentlemen! Wink
Christer

Post   Posted: Dec 10, 2014 - 10:32
FUMBBL Staff
Reply with quote Back to top

The thing you are missing here is that prior to the game, your opponent was a "Super Star", ie a bracket below you. Losing a game like that amplifies the CR effect of the game. Without that, your CR loss would have been lower.

And for the record, the CR number is absolutely not meaningless as some people feel a need to state every time someone asks a question. It's statistically significant as a prediction as to who will win a game. The problem, however, is that people read too much into minimal difference in CR and believe that because the number is shown with two decimals it's super accurate at all times. The named brackets are more accurate to the actual granularity of the system which is why they're the primary thing that's shown on the site these days.

I will refrain from a rant about CR for the moment though..
koadah

Post   Posted: Dec 10, 2014 - 11:35 Reply with quote Back to top

Christer wrote:
The thing you are missing here is that prior to the game, your opponent was a "Super Star", ie a bracket below you. Losing a game like that amplifies the CR effect of the game. Without that, your CR loss would have been lower.

Is it feasible to change that? The match report appears to show the rank/CR after the match. Personally I'd rather see the values from before the match. Or maybe even both. Wink

Christer wrote:

And for the record, the CR number is absolutely not meaningless as some people feel a need to state every time someone asks a question. It's statistically significant as a prediction as to who will win a game. The problem, however, is that people read too much into minimal difference in CR and believe that because the number is shown with two decimals it's super accurate at all times. The named brackets are more accurate to the actual granularity of the system which is why they're the primary thing that's shown on the site these days.

I will refrain from a rant about CR for the moment though..

It's not meaningless but it is not what some people are looking for.

The problem IMO is that the divisions are refereed to as competitive divisions but there isn't much official to 'compete' for in open games other than CR/Rank. CR doesn't seem to fit the bill as it can be manipulated to some extent.

I am looking forward to the 'Championship' or whatever it will be called.
I really hope that one will launch for mature teams at the same time rather than just new teams only.

Post   Posted: Dec 11, 2014 - 20:37 Reply with quote Back to top

Dominik wrote:

Here is your second chance to admit that a dicing took place in our game!

IF I was not diced numerous times in a major the Buccaneers would have won atleast 2 of them by now.

But alas, the dicing is tragically part of the game sir. Deal with it or pick up your little toy men and leave in disgust at the injustice of it all.

Last edited by PainState on %b %11, %2014 - %20:%Dec; edited 1 time in total
PainState

Post   Posted: Dec 11, 2014 - 20:43 Reply with quote Back to top

Christer wrote:

And for the record, the CR number is absolutely not meaningless as some people feel a need to state every time someone asks a question. It's statistically significant as a prediction as to who will win a game.

Interesting...A long time ago in one of my Majors threads, we are talking 5+years. I broke down the field by their average of the Luck O meter over around their past 25 matches, yes, that gold standard of luck.

And you know what I found? Guys who had a average high luck O meter rating, the gold standard of luck I might add, won a lot more than they lost.

Just throwing that out there.

The old Luck O Meter was also a misunderstood stat tracker.