25 coaches online • Server time: 11:24
Forum Chat
Recent Forum Topics goto Post Blood Bowl 2024 Edit...goto Post SWL Season CIgoto Post RNG speculations
SearchSearch 
View previous topic Log in to check your private messages View next topic
Manbush

Post   Posted: Feb 12, 2006 - 21:42 Reply with quote Back to top

There are a lot of new players to FUMBBL, and for many it takes time to get used to seeing it on screen rather than on the table gameboard. A few friendly prompts would not be uncalled for if your opponent is taking too much time every turn, but trying to hurry someone up so that they might missclick or make mistakes is a cheap tactic and makes the game unfriendly. If you insist on fast play before the match, you may be able to avoid some slow games. If you request a cancellation or a concession, then that's up to the other player, like it or not.

I put the liquor in the same bottle his and mine, and mine was at the bottom, and, sure, I was obliged to drink his to get at mine
Manbush

Post   Posted: Feb 12, 2006 - 21:45 Reply with quote Back to top

There are a lot of new players to FUMBBL, and for many it takes time to get used to seeing it on screen rather than on the table gameboard. A few friendly prompts would not be uncalled for if your opponent is taking too much time every turn, but trying to hurry someone up so that they might missclick or make mistakes is a cheap tactic and makes the game unfriendly. If you insist on fast play before the match, you may be able to avoid some slow games. If you request a cancellation or a concession, then that's up to the other player, like it or not.
PandaPower

Post   Posted: Feb 12, 2006 - 22:03 Reply with quote Back to top

@max chess only requires one move per turn... and chess players obviously must have huge bladders!!
Mahok

Post   Posted: Feb 12, 2006 - 22:33 Reply with quote Back to top

Isn't it possible to put the average turn time in the coach profile?

Games Won/Draw/Lost: 10/10/10
Average Time per Turn: 7.5 Minutes

Edit: I just saw that i skip one page of this thread and someone mentioned it earlier, sorry for that.

Post   Posted: Feb 12, 2006 - 23:06 Reply with quote Back to top

ok...let's get a few things straight since obviously people are too idiotic to understand

there's this thing *OUTSIDE* of fumbbl called *REAL LIFE*

you should all go outside and take a look at it sometime...

people have children, family, work, neighbors that show up at completely random times, whatever....

and *gasp* oh my god, some people tend to those issues when they come up....instead of ignoring everything and being a recluse who does nothing but rule lawyers, and geeks out day in and day out...

GET OVER YOURSELVES

time limits are *not* going to happen....because i'll simply put..if i get screwed because there's an implemented time limit, and i have someone cover that i need to tend to for 5 minutes...*ALL* Of you are going to have to deal with my bitching and whining until it's changed...

if you can't handle people who tend to play slow...here's a novel idea...DON'T PLAY THEM AGAIN!!!

god, watch some tv on the side, play video games, read a book, be social on irc...ANYTHING! JUST GET OVER YOURSELVES!

not everyone on this site, is as speed demon, perfect players like the rest of you....some of us play a little slower, more methodically, or are trying to learn to be better coaches...

i can't count the amount of times i've played against someone who is slow, and a polite "could we play a little bit faster?" does *wonders*...

simply put...

get off your high horses and GET OVER YOURSELVES!

--j
maxlongstreet

Post   Posted: Feb 12, 2006 - 23:12 Reply with quote Back to top

Gee Shadow, that was a long post. Must have taken you a while to write. There's a real world out there. Don't you have children, family, work or neighbors or something?
magan174

Post   Posted: Feb 12, 2006 - 23:22 Reply with quote Back to top

Quote:
ok...let's get a few things straight since obviously people are too idiotic to understand

there's this thing *OUTSIDE* of fumbbl called *REAL LIFE*

you should all go outside and take a look at it sometime...

people have children, family, work, neighbors that show up at completely random times, whatever....

and *gasp* oh my god, some people tend to those issues when they come up....instead of ignoring everything and being a recluse who does nothing but rule lawyers, and geeks out day in and day out...

GET OVER YOURSELVES

time limits are *not* going to happen....because i'll simply put..if i get screwed because there's an implemented time limit, and i have someone cover that i need to tend to for 5 minutes...*ALL* Of you are going to have to deal with my bitching and whining until it's changed...

if you can't handle people who tend to play slow...here's a novel idea...DON'T PLAY THEM AGAIN!!!

god, watch some tv on the side, play video games, read a book, be social on irc...ANYTHING! JUST GET OVER YOURSELVES!

not everyone on this site, is as speed demon, perfect players like the rest of you....some of us play a little slower, more methodically, or are trying to learn to be better coaches...

i can't count the amount of times i've played against someone who is slow, and a polite "could we play a little bit faster?" does *wonders*...

simply put...

get off your high horses and GET OVER YOURSELVES!

--j

Hear, hear! Shadow46x2 for President! I think that should end this conversation.

Hmm maybe not. I just have to ask you one thing, but dont answer me cause this conversation is over after my post.

What happens if you get, lets say sick, during a game (like diarrhoea) and have to spend some time at the toilet? Or if that female neighbour of yours just realise she want a comp. nerd/BB geek and want to do to you what you've been dreaming about since you found one of her panties in the washer?

Or if you get disturb in any other way and cant make the time limit. What happens then? Should you then be allowed to tell your oppo "brb"? Should there be some specific things that can make you sidestep the time limit? And if so? Where to draw the line?

Just give this idea up! Try to ask your oppo if he/she can play faster and make sure you dont have a tight timetable. I dont start playing if I know that I have to leave in 2h?

And remember this discussion is over and shadow46x2 for President!

-Magnus
Kyyberi

Post   Posted: Feb 12, 2006 - 23:47 Reply with quote Back to top

Oh man, where are all the fun threads? There should be a separate forum for fouling-/slow-things. I don't think anyone has any "news" to this subject. Maybe the idea of #fumbblspeedsters is good, those who can't stand slow players can go there. And stop whining.

If you whine about slow opponents, just think why are you playing this game? When you can answer honestly to that, you can start thinking "how to get there".

And if you have only 1 or 1½ hours time for game, please say it to your opponent when arranging a game. I've said many times in that situation that "my games take usually 1½ hours, so I can't promise it to be over in 1 hour". But if you want a quick game and you don't inform your opponent about that, don't start complaining.

My turns can be way over 4 minutes, if I need to think it throughly. And to my opponent it might seem different, as I think about different solutions and calculate odds for few minutes, and then fail in the very first move.

But my offered solution to you all is that talk with your opponent during the game! That way you can say to your opponent that you need to think a little, you need to take a leak, you need to go to kitchen etc. Or you can say to your opponent that his turns take a lot of times, is there any problems in the connection or something? Usually that speeds them up a little.

Why isn't there this many threads about waffles?

Post   Posted: Feb 13, 2006 - 02:37 Reply with quote Back to top

I understand why slow playing coaches don't like the idea of the 'average-time-per-turn-thing' so here's another idea.

Why not have a field in the profile where you can fill in if you are a fast player or not. You don't have to do, but you can, if you like.

Post   Posted: Feb 13, 2006 - 02:54 Reply with quote Back to top

why do you feel the need to call out people on their playstyle?...

people are going to play slow
people are going to foul(no this does not mean you should run off and start yet another fouling thread)
people are going to stall
people are going to do whatever sort of thing they can think of to win.....

GET OVER IT!

--j

ImageImage
IanFidel

Post   Posted: Feb 13, 2006 - 03:12 Reply with quote Back to top

A time clock wold be nice to judge who wins a tie in a tournament.
But this is still a lot quicker thant table top, so I'm happy!

Post   Posted: Feb 13, 2006 - 03:36 Reply with quote Back to top

shadow46x2 wrote:
why do you feel the need to call out people on their playstyle?...

people are going to play slow
people are going to foul(no this does not mean you should run off and start yet another fouling thread)
people are going to stall
people are going to do whatever sort of thing they can think of to win.....

GET OVER IT!

--j

Because I play this game for fun.
But it's not fun if my opponent needs 10 minutes for a turn.
And I don't have too much time. Thats why i prefer playing against fast playing coaches.

But I can live with the status quo. Just wanted to say my oppinion.

Post   Posted: Feb 13, 2006 - 05:25 Reply with quote Back to top

The big issue with time clocks over the Internet is the issue of lag. Chess servers overcome it by using a 'timeseal' program which basically tells the host server how long the player actually took for the move, and adjusts clocks accordingly. Usually you don't see major adjustments, maybe a few seconds, but I've seen lag sometimes hold a move for a minute or two...
Laviak

Post   Posted: Feb 13, 2006 - 07:01 Reply with quote Back to top

Mahok wrote:
Why not have a field in the profile where you can fill in if you are a fast player or not. You don't have to do, but you can, if you like.

There is an "Information" field on the coach page in which coaches can put any information they want (like fouling policies, lists of fun coaches to play, how long they take to play a turn, and all sorts of useful, obscure or amusing information). Perfect spot i would think.

The only time slow play has really annoyed me was the one time it was due to my opponent playing two games at the same time... I don't mind so much if my opponent needs time to think, or is stuck with a slow PC or whatever, but it's just plain rude to take 10 mins a turn because you're playing two matches at the same time.

ozjesting

Post   Posted: Feb 13, 2006 - 07:04 Reply with quote Back to top

You should all start playing PBeM Blood Bowl...then you will come to see 10 minutes between a turn as lightning fast Wink