48 coaches online • Server time: 19:43
Forum Chat
Recent Forum Topics goto Post IBA Draft Leaguegoto Post SWL Season CIgoto Post BB2016 Ranked, Leagu...
SearchSearch 
View previous topic Log in to check your private messages View next topic
dadoz

Post   Posted: Nov 17, 2005 - 21:50 Reply with quote Back to top

Im curious, is FA or Spikes better if you want him to live longer? Has anyone calculated this neatly?

Post   Posted: Nov 17, 2005 - 21:54 Reply with quote Back to top

Spikes are better for keeping him alive,

Post   Posted: Nov 18, 2005 - 02:26 Reply with quote Back to top

Does that apply also if the player has av8 or av9? Now you really got me going Very Happy

Post   Posted: Nov 18, 2005 - 02:31 Reply with quote Back to top

I would take Foul Apperence actually, then claw then spikes
Bytez0r

Post   Posted: Nov 18, 2005 - 03:02 Reply with quote Back to top

go for Claw.. horns arent really needed imo, since 4st is plenty.. tentacle, well - diveing tackle is (ALLMOST) as good.. and that comes on a normal skill roll, so you will have plenty of that.
spikes or FA, naw - they are only good on defence, this guy can easy run far far away for protection.
dont think VLL would do much good eather, since you have so much speed on your team allready.
claw, again.. you need a hitter.. and this rat is good at it!
Markusen

Post   Posted: Nov 18, 2005 - 03:05 Reply with quote Back to top

Would give him FA, Frenzy or Claw.
Expect that we will be 1. target of getting fouled (over and over...!!!).
blizzt95

Post   Posted: Nov 18, 2005 - 03:25 Reply with quote Back to top

Holy crispy crap you got a lot of stat increases for a small and relatively young team. Though I would normally not give anyone Spikes, I would in this case. You have two fast runners and the blodging gutter runner and +ag storm vermin make for a vicious passing game if you can get enough linemen for minotaur fodder so you don't have to put one of your runners or vermin on the line.

Quite simply, the av8 will allow him to live longer and allow your other guys to develop. I'd work on developing the other three runners and get yourself another storm vermin ASAP, as well as a couple more linos. And use your apothecary wisely.

Addendum: The more potential "targets" for foulers your team has, the majority will survive.
AFK_Eagle

Post   Posted: Nov 18, 2005 - 04:37 Reply with quote Back to top

I've played almost a thousand games on fumbbl, at least half of them as skaven. I've coached three gutters to legendary status, going a different way each time...an interception machine, a scorer, and my favorite, Sai, who redefined the position of gutter into becoming a legitimate casualty machine. Don't listen to all the arguments about how he'll be a foul-magnet, etc. Of course he will be, and taking claw won't increase that one iota. But that doesn't mean you can't protect him. Just blitz with him, then retreat behind a screen of blockers, just as if he was a perpetual ball-carrier. That's how Sai survived long enough to become a legend, despite EVERYBODY wanting a piece of him. Were it not for aging, he'd still be causing havoc, as nobody could touch him (except a leaping wardancer and when I got cocky vs some halflings).

So take the claw, then tackle on next normal, or rsc on next double. You'll meet those who refuse to play vs claw/rsc, and that's ok. Just remind them "it's only a gutter..."

Oh, and spikes does not a damn thing towards saving a rat. Took spikes on my str4 SV, and with enough assists he'll still be gang-fouled to oblivion. And that was av9 after the spikes, so you know av8 ain't gonna protect ya. The only real protection is to simply not be hit in the first place...

Post   Posted: Nov 18, 2005 - 04:57 Reply with quote Back to top

Claw seems the clear choice here. You have a hell of a team there. Keep it up!
Brad

Post   Posted: Nov 18, 2005 - 05:24 Reply with quote Back to top

I'd take FA. True Spikes gives you 33% more effective armour, but once he's down AV8 means nothing against a 6 Strong gang foul (which he will surely attract). FA helps you stay up 16% more, effectivly preventing armour breaks by the same amount. It also has the advantage on defence.

Finally, FA will make people think twice about using their blitz just to get him down, possibly allowing him to last a turn or two more before going down.

Post   Posted: Nov 18, 2005 - 07:08 Reply with quote Back to top

All due respect to Eagle as an experienced skaven coach but unless you/he had a str. 4 gutter it's simply not the same. Str. 4 can redefine a players role (especially when he used to be str. 2!). A str. 4 Frenzy player redefines the word 'defence' - an area where skaven often struggle. Frenzy is one of THE best defensive skills.

Otherwise Eagle is right - it's not hard to protect him. Just don't play stupid.

EDIT:

It could be argued that the Rat Ogre fills up this position, but he's simply too unreliable, he's way slower, he can't dodge out of the trouble he got himself into as easily, he doesn't get block and/or tackle that easily and the Rat Ogre doesn't really have a true place in the skaven team. He's just too much of a liability.
Laviak

Post   Posted: Nov 18, 2005 - 07:44 Reply with quote Back to top

The disadvantage of frenzy is that if you're not careful about it, it can easily leave him in a position where you can't protect him well enough. On the other hand ... with MA9 and frenzy, the crowdpushing potential is enormous Wink

I'd probably go for claw myself. It gives you an effective way of removing some of the particularly nasty opposing players from the pitch.

He will be a foul magnet if he goes down ... so look after him (and pray that he doesn't age)

Slick

Post   Posted: Nov 18, 2005 - 08:14 Reply with quote Back to top

It really comes down to whether or not you want to find games easily or constantly be begging people for games. Claw is the obvious best choice but will cause elves and the like to shy away from your team. Foul Appearance is the only other viable option which will help against both elves since even NOS doesnt ignore the -1 and will help against bashers not that they could reach him anyway. So it's up to you. Do you want to beg for games with a dominant blitzer or do you want to get more games with a solid defensive player/good blitzer? To quote the great D-Bo from the movie Friday: "You gonna do it, or get knocked out! Make a choice!"

Post   Posted: Nov 18, 2005 - 09:21 Reply with quote Back to top

what about two heads. +1 to all dodge rolls. or very long legs, +1 free movement.
Jackbedead

Post   Posted: Nov 18, 2005 - 09:24 Reply with quote Back to top

I would go spikes, he's worth keeping around. Give him claw and you'll see him maybe two more games before he's dead.
 Jump to: