58 coaches online • Server time: 19:11
Forum Chat
Recent Forum Topics goto Post Draft League Expansi...goto Post 90+ Custom Rosters!goto Post NBFL Season 32: The ...
SearchSearch 
View previous topic Log in to check your private messages View next topic
mrt1212

Post   Posted: May 14, 2014 - 21:37 Reply with quote Back to top

Wolbum wrote:
Well that's fair enough. But as Josh said, Norse is tough :S. Like half naked faster Dwarfs. But just two quick observations. Me thinks it is better for you to start on defence and, as well, take both the trolls off the LOS. This way, you can put them where they are most needed as the drive unfolds rather than desperately try to unhook them from the TZ in the middle of the field.

In fact, if there is one major contributor to my (somewhat) better performance as Goblins it's that. Starting on defense whenever I can and taking both trolls off the line of scrum for defence. Oh well, least you gave em another go.

I wouldnt start on defense facing a team that has reliable means of taking down gobbos (block, mb, st4, so just about anybody, haha). As Garion said, if you lose gobbos before you even have a chance to field the weapons you will get stunted gameplay out of the team. Some of my worst gobbo losses follow that script.
mister__joshua

Post   Posted: May 14, 2014 - 22:01
FUMBBL Staff
Reply with quote Back to top

When using a team I expect to be short-manned, I often prefer to start on defense so you have more players to defend with.
Also, depending on opponent, I'd happily field the saw on defense if they can't reliably 2-turn. Give a bit of bash back! If you have a bribe all the better

Mr. J's LRB7 / Forum
Garion

Post   Posted: May 14, 2014 - 22:02 Reply with quote Back to top

possibly could have fouled, definitely shouldn't have rr'd the pow. My only real mistake was moving my ball carrier forward instead of backwards at the start i think.

Post   Posted: May 14, 2014 - 22:23 Reply with quote Back to top

Shouldn't you be happy if the presence of your saw prompts the other team to 2 turn?

I'd rather that than face 8 turns of them pounding the crap out of the team, oh, and them taking out the saw in less than 4 turns anyway probably.
SergeiBautin

Post   Posted: May 14, 2014 - 22:29 Reply with quote Back to top

Made my first gobboteam (i think), thanks to this thread.

https://fumbbl.com/FUMBBL.php?page=match&id=3565540

Therefore, gobbos rule! Smile

Post   Posted: May 14, 2014 - 22:36 Reply with quote Back to top

Damn Garion, you just made me play Gobs again.
Not your post, but the whole thread.
pythrr

Post   Posted: May 14, 2014 - 22:50 Reply with quote Back to top

anyone up for a [B] Goblin metagroup?

That would fun.

Monthly, with many (crap) prizes.

Post   Posted: May 14, 2014 - 22:51 Reply with quote Back to top

there are already 2 aaaah

and another one, i forget the name

Post   Posted: May 14, 2014 - 23:00 Reply with quote Back to top

Keggiemckills king of the goblins challenge is a good one
pythrr

Post   Posted: May 14, 2014 - 23:12 Reply with quote Back to top

aw, really?

me goes to look at them

Post   Posted: May 14, 2014 - 23:31 Reply with quote Back to top

Well done for spreading the disease Garion, don't worry you are still a Legend in our hearts Razz

Post   Posted: May 15, 2014 - 02:18 Reply with quote Back to top

there's not much to be said:
remove many players quickly.
field as many weapons as you can.
foul hard, pile harder.

there's no certain trick to goblins, get inducements, restrict your choices as much as you want, for example not buying trolls
or refresh positionals.

i for one would love to have a M5 sprint / sure feet / block fanatic. the last skill could be a lot... grab,mb,dodge.
but you can't feed him TDs, it works on the bomb and the saw , but fanatics do .6 spp a game for me, they simply suck. yet it's fun playing goblins, just stomp hard.
or start drives with 5 weapons on pitch, it's ridiculous!

uzkulak

Post   Posted: May 15, 2014 - 02:52 Reply with quote Back to top

The only way to be competitive with goblins is to keep your tv really low. That's what I found after the box experiment. Once over 1100 it gets progressively harder and over 1300 it is extremely difficult.

SW - unless you can reliably get bribes in every game, only bring 1 SW. If any of them get a skill fire them immediately.
Kam

Post   Posted: May 15, 2014 - 03:17 Reply with quote Back to top

I understand where you're coming from, Garion. I used to hate gobos when I started, despite the fact I was a *cough* dedicated fling coach. The reason? They seemed too unreliable.

Stunty players suck, and can and will fail everything at the worst possible time, so the keyword is: minimize the risks and the rolls as much as possible. That's what I think as a fling coach. But how could you do that with gobos? Their big guys are loners, and their only advantage, the secret weapons, require even more rolls and explode whenever someone touches them.

Then I understood. Gobos ain't about winning against impossible odds like flings, they're all about having fun. I'm bored with R, and it was time for me to hit the road again, really. However, all the fun games I've had recently were with gobos (and UW to a lesser extent). 16 cas vs 2 in 3 games, that's for instance the record of my new team. It's the kind of stunty madness that makes me laugh all day long.

And surprisingly, that also lead me to an impressive win / loss record, much better than with my flings. But in the meantime, they're not 1500TV, and yes, you're right about their development. Partially at list (imho).

Stunties, not only gobos, shine at low tv. At higher tv, you're bloated, and even inducements won't make it for the monsters you're gonna face. For that reason, FF shouldn't count in the TV.

Now, if you compare to flings, who do you want to skill? Your trees, for sure. Then the rest of the team should roll a double or be sacked (baring eventually a couple of SS/DT). And what's up with goblins? Your trolls are less reliable than trees, but they can also become a big asset after one or two doubles.. You want grab and MB for your fanatic, DP for your saw, and... doubles or +stat for the rest, just like with flings. The developement of both teams isn't much different imo. They both crave G access.

In stunty tournaments, I really think flings have the upper hand. But no other than gobos can have those insane cas records and get away after chainsawing their 11th opponent. Wink

PS: don't get me started with NTT. Sad

Post   Posted: May 15, 2014 - 04:28 Reply with quote Back to top

I actually have a lot of fun in Box with my Goblins. I think Garion has missed the boat for the team. I love the utter Mayhem that the Goblins bring. You have to rush through your first drive to try and remove as many of your opposition as possible so you can still be up men when you lose your 3 Secret Weapons.

By the way, Bombers are fantastic. The secret is to use them as your ball carrier until they reach 6 SSP. Then pray and hope you roll doubles for a Hail Mary. It is the absolute BEST when you want to play Goblins to their full potential which is to cause as much anarchy as possible. If you don't get the doubles drop him and start again. The Bomber costs the same as a normal Gob, so losing him after a drive isn't much different than any Stunty being hit. Forget the Pogoer, in my opinion. They cost almost the same as 2 Gobs. It isn't worth it. I know they are AG 4 Pogeors that are the exception. I don't think they are worth the coin.

Firstly, don't expect to win. Expect to give your opponent a headache from almost losing to Gobs. Box heightens this because when you pick your opponent in Ranked you actually hope to win. In Box I expect only one thing.... To cause anarchy. ANARCHY! Winning is strictly a bonus.

Keggies Goblin Box Challenge

Jeffro
 Jump to: