40 coaches online • Server time: 00:42
Forum Chat
Recent Forum Topics goto Post SWL Season CIgoto Post My 1st Blackbox tour...goto Post Finishing the 60 Gam...
SearchSearch 
View previous topic Log in to check your private messages View next topic
JimmyFantastic

Post   Posted: Jul 06, 2016 - 11:14 Reply with quote Back to top

Well I think Bill means silly combinations that would never hapopen in the fluff such as Wardancers and Pestigors on the same team for example.

Post   Posted: Jul 06, 2016 - 11:17 Reply with quote Back to top

Perhaps, but picking was mentioned, so I doubt it's only a fluff objection.

Anyway. Stuffs.
JellyBelly

Post   Posted: Jul 06, 2016 - 13:35 Reply with quote Back to top

Lol - maybe Garion should make actual 'Douche' and 'Wiener' rosters. One has plastic bags that spray their opponents with water and the other is a bunch of floating hot dogs Wink

Maybe we should make a rule for this league that everyone has to make up some original fluff to explain how their team got together?

"Go for the eyes, Boo! Go for the eyes!!" Razz
ArrestedDevelopment

Post   Posted: Jul 06, 2016 - 14:06 Reply with quote Back to top

Purplegoo wrote:
I don’t have a horse in this race (I likely won’t be taking part), but I am interested in what a ‘douche’ or ‘wiener’ team is in this context?

I’m guessing it’s something like ‘team that stretches the rules and the format as hard as it can in using construction and build to minmax or otherwise achieve optimal results, probably holding an automatic advantage over other teams that are exploring what is possible or playing ‘normally’. Coaching will likely not overcome the construction of the ‘douche’ team, making the environment an arms race where you either play the ‘wiener’ game or accept there are some hours where all you’ll be doing is watching the steamroller roll over you, regardless of the skill of the driver’.

To a few of us, that sounds like Blackbox? Much as I am happy for anyone to enjoy that format, I do seem to remember Bill is a pretty enthusiastic exponent, often implying those of us that don’t participate are somehow doing it wrong?

If you make an environment on the Internet within which to play Blood Bowl, some coaches will do their best to squeeze every last drop out of it to get an advantage. That’s probably going to be as true of custom leagues as it is in any other division. It’s probably best to cater to everyone, have one ‘all bets are off’ league where anything goes, and another with limitations forcing coaches to take a fluffier / more interesting outlook?

Anyway. /Segue. I look forward to spectating some of this. Wink

You know what, I don't have a horse on this course either, but why on earth would you, as a respected member of this site, try and make this minor detour into a box v ranked/the rest of the site?

Bill isn't the only one who plays box, nor are the (very, very minor groups of people now) that you play in the manner you describe, and it's quite frankly, pretty disingenuous to slander an entire division so. I'm pretty sure you could have made the same post and point quite easily without resorting to doing so, and as you note, it is hardly uniquely sequestered purely to box at all.

Razz

Post   Posted: Jul 06, 2016 - 14:13 Reply with quote Back to top

Since it's open play, powergamers will have a harder time getting games

Post   Posted: Jul 06, 2016 - 14:58 Reply with quote Back to top

zakatan wrote:
Since it's open play, powergamers will have a harder time getting games

But that is only because of the "pickers" Twisted Evil

Post   Posted: Jul 06, 2016 - 15:10 Reply with quote Back to top

@AD:

Custom rosters and rulesets are a current event, I follow current events. I note that Bill has made the same comment across a couple of threads / blogs, and I was interested enough to ask a question, perhaps while including a hint of Devil’s Advocacy. Considering how loud he’s been on the subject you mention in the past, I was genuinely surprised to see him think differently about how people treat one environment when compared to another, where I don’t see much difference, really.

No-one is more tired of Box vs. Ranked than me; really, no-one. It is the dullest of all arguments. I don’t think anyone is slandering an entire division here. There’s not much need to escalate the language to that extent (although we did begin at 'douche' rosters, perhaps that's not too much of a deal in the States? Not that is is here either, but it's a jarring word to use).

More than happy for it never to be mentioned ever again. No, really. Never again. Wink
sonrises

Post   Posted: Jul 06, 2016 - 15:42 Reply with quote Back to top

Perefect! all arguments clear so we can close this debate and go back to what it matters in this thread.

Play CRP ULTRA! Mr. Green Mr. Green

4 options to give it a go:

a) Jimmy's league here.

b) Go to gamefinder and look for a team with the logo below
Image.

c) Join this group to be included in a match making PM
https://fumbbl.com/p/group&group=10329&op=view

d) Create your own league with limitations and fluff. Roster is open to FUMBBLers.
Ruleset id: 315

Have fun coaches!
sonrises

Post   Posted: Jul 07, 2016 - 22:32 Reply with quote Back to top

First week of CRP ULTRA action is gone and first conclusions can be drawn. Most action happening in forgotten back allies all around the Old World. Rumors spread about this new way to play Blood Bowl, like a clandestine whispper. Even an underground league kicks off where seasoned blood bowl players from all races gather as promises of unknown riches have been heard.

Here the first conclusions:

BUILD UPS

1. The "Ogre syndrome": Some coaches, missing the old days when Ogres were competitive, have gathered modern replicas of such roster. Wardancers as ball carriers though. An example below:

4 x TOMB GUARDIANS
2 x MUMMIES
2 x WARDANCERS
3 x Cheap and slow Fodder
No RR
No Apo

At first look they are scary. However, at low TV they are very vulnerable. No RR, NO skills, very slow...only a hole is needed an the whole team chasing shadows vs more balanced teams.

2. I am Super fast & agile approach. An example below:

4 x Gutters
2 x Wardancers
1 x Skaven Blitzer
4 x Amazon fodder
1 RR
No Apo

They look unbeatable but...no one can hit big guys. Ouch! Put them a wall of meat across the field and they look lost. Gutters looking at the lonely skaven blitzer and saying "hit that mummy! get that Tomb Guardian out the way! I am a gutter ball carrier for god sake, you do the hitting!". Wardancers same thing. mmmm...

3. Saurus, Saurus, Saurus
This is quite popular too.

6 x saurus
and sth else
0-1 RR depending on quality of fodder.

Just as Lizzardmen, they are not the best at low TV...

POPULAR PLAYERS CHOICES

1. Wardancers are Ball carrier of the month by far.
2. Gutters coming in packs of 4! Special offer!
3. CD Blockers. Their Dwarf cousins...dismissed.
4. Norse Lino. Me wanna block! Ag7? so what? we will replace them when the team grows...
5. Tomb Guardians & Mummies. Bring the hitting home at any cost! (RR, apo for the rest of the team...what for?)

We have a feeling that a balanced team is still needed. The so tempting "i want all the toys now" approach is proving flawn in this early stages.
Even there is a big question mark on the ruleset itself. Releasing all this choice and power? mmmm... It must be a trick somewhere. Let's prove that this endless choice is just *****! or maybe not....mmmm... We are really confused...we ,honestly, don't know really...Let's find out fellow FUMBBLers!!

Last edited by sonrises on %b %08, %2016 - %09:%Jul; edited 3 times in total
koadah

Post   Posted: Jul 07, 2016 - 22:38 Reply with quote Back to top

Some of the teams

Post   Posted: Jul 08, 2016 - 00:20 Reply with quote Back to top

Has anyone made a good roster builder to account for all the options? I have Aroster.xlsx but can't edit the tables for teams.
sonrises

Post   Posted: Jul 08, 2016 - 11:26 Reply with quote Back to top

koadah wrote:
Some of the teams

Thx again Koadah! u the one.

Nuffle save Master Koadah!
Verminardo

Post   Posted: Jul 08, 2016 - 12:12 Reply with quote Back to top

I don't have time for playing but I could not resist making this team:

Ultra Wieners

Mr. Green
pokrjax

Post   Posted: Jul 08, 2016 - 12:57 Reply with quote Back to top

How does animosity work regarding players of the same race but from different teams? Eg.underworld/pact skaven and regular skaven.
sonrises

Post   Posted: Jul 08, 2016 - 14:21 Reply with quote Back to top

@ pokrjax

Thanks for asking

ANIMOSITY SET UP

Skaven:
Considered Skaven race for animosity purposes

Skaven Renegade (includes Chaos pact 0-1 and Underworld 0-2 versions, 0-3 total)
Skaven Lineman
Skaven Blitzer
Gutter Runner
Skaven Thrower
Rat Ogre

Goblin
Considered Goblin race for animosity purposes

Hobgoblin
Goblin Renegade
Fanatic
Pogoer
Looney
Bombardier
Goblin (including Orc goblins 0-4, total 0-16)

Dark Elf
Considered Dark Elf race for animosity purposes

Witch Elf
Dark Elf Blitzer
Assassin
Dark Elf Runner
Dark Elf Lineman
Dark Elf Renegade

Please, report back, if it doesn't work properly, in this thread.
 Jump to: