38 coaches online • Server time: 16:41
Forum Chat
Recent Forum Topics goto Post My 1st Blackbox tour...goto Post Finishing the 60 Gam...goto Post Borg Invasion
SearchSearch 
View previous topic Log in to check your private messages View next topic
ClayInfinity

Post   Posted: Sep 13, 2004 - 13:23 Reply with quote Back to top

<b>Round 4 Round Up</b>

Unfortunately a few forfeits... Regionals and the tough Swiss format setting the men from the boys (sorry Drok!)

Extensions of 24 hrs granted to:

<b>SmackDown vs Gumbeast Utd</b> in the SE Conference

<b>Insane Region vs Horde of Skavenblight</b> in Regional C

Remember, those who do not contact us on swladmin@hotmail.com generally receive a big duck egg points wise...

Extensions are available of 24hrs, sometimes 48hrs, but nothing puts you at risk of being punted back to the Pool...
Phandaal

Post 13 Posted: Sep 14, 2004 - 17:00 Reply with quote Back to top

Round 4 was not posted until Thursday, meaning those of us that work could not even SEE who our opponent was until FRIDAY night.

I signed up for this league understanding that we would have around one week to play our games.

So tonight my game with Jaguar_5 was forfeited because we missed each other by a few minutes. And I'm told that we can't be given another day, despite the fact that the Admins were FOUR DAYS late in posting the schedule for the round.

I play this game to have fun, not to be hassled on the weekend because you can't post a simple season schedule, so we can contact our opponents in a timely manner.

Permier can see their games in advance.

Conferece can see their games in advance.

Even Lil' League can see their games in advance.

Why are Regionals left in the dark?

PS Just reading over the last few pages, I see a lot of complaints about missed games in Regionals. Gee, I wonder why that is Rolling Eyes
Wallace

Post   Posted: Sep 14, 2004 - 23:07 Reply with quote Back to top

Well if games were played in time then the rounds would be reset in time as well. You can't expect the admins to work magic! It's probably the swiss format that's the problem but it's just being trialled this season so yes it may not be perfect. If you read over the last few pages again you'll also see that this is a very friendly league with some of the better group admins on FUMBBL running it. We don't tend to whinge and bitch at each other either. There are far more constructive ways to have gotten the point you have wanted to make across. Try that in future.....
chunky04

Post   Posted: Sep 15, 2004 - 00:12 Reply with quote Back to top

Actually Wallace, I've bitched and whinged all the time. It does get things done. Phandaal, it's a result of a number of people being flaky in the Regionals, and we've punted a number of coaches who weren't getting their games in. This caused the delay, which in turn caused further dealy, so hopefully this should stop soon, and it'll all be able to be done. Personally, I'm in favour of a hard deadline for the Regionals on Monday, you don't get your game played, tough. Yeah it might burn some people that first week, but then it should be back to normal.

We may look at doing something different next year, but I believe the main reason for going with the Swiss was because of the large differences in TR between many of the Regional teams.

Post   Posted: Sep 15, 2004 - 12:10 Reply with quote Back to top

On that bright note, I'd like people to make constructive suggestions re Season 7. Regional guys in particular...

A massive amount of teams (approx 30) make up the Regionals, yet we have had a high number of flakes...

Does the Swiss format work? It is hardwork on us admins as we need to make calls on matches every Monday night. I too would prefer a regular league system where good players can play ahead if the draw permits.

Should we have 1 mass Regional Open Round Robin like QPool? It would be ideal as committed guys could play, flaky guys would have no chance at promotion, but isn't that what QPool is for?

To be honest, perhaps we should have a Pool for Regionals, with no cap and let the good teams get up the top and perhaps a playoff structure to decide the final promoting teams...

I am just rambling... so c'mon Reggie Coaches... what do you think?
JoeKano

Post   Posted: Sep 15, 2004 - 12:40 Reply with quote Back to top

Pool format, max of 7 games, no more than 1 a week. Top 6 teams plays GAINST NEXT 6 TO DECIDE PROMOTES TO THE CONFERENCES oops caps. 1 vs 12th, 2 vs 11th etc. No whinging about cherry picking games etc because they still gotta get through that rd 8. format should see a lot of movement between the conference - regionals of basically good sides and even the low TR sides have proven they can hang in there with the rest. with 3 pts for a win, 2 pts for a draw, 1 pt for played. with only ides that have scored 7 pts or more and played 7 games eligible for the final 12 playoff. this also means that if only the top 10 have played 7 games first an 2nd promote to the conferences with out playoffs.

qpool still stays in as team development pond and capped at 150tr, to give teams that have spent a season in the regional swamp <?> a better chance at promote out to the conferences than the new ins.

Is just a thought and conforms to the only wants to play one game a week ideal of anyplayer eh?

if you worried about missing games or only having tough players left tpo play etc you can at the setting of the swamp pm 7 opponents and ask if you can be their week 6 opponent etc its up to you, but no more than the one game a week unless you know you will have an absence in there where you can email swladmin and ask for an exception to be made for you, and if the commishes allow you may play ahead.

hows that for a thought?

Post   Posted: Sep 15, 2004 - 14:23 Reply with quote Back to top

I like the Idea of a pool format, top team able to play off to go up. It means that those who like playing in this great group of coaches, but doesn't nessecarily want to play to league, has somewhere to play with no cap. Like for example, I'd want to keep the Good Old's in that pool, just to play games, and have another team to play in compeditive play, because i think overall SWL coaches are the best to play. My 2 cents

Kath
ozjesting

Post   Posted: Sep 15, 2004 - 14:43 Reply with quote Back to top

I think there should be a secret "elite" league. Made up of coaches that WANT to ACTUALLY play. A new and secret page/group will be formed, our own irc channel created, and we will live in our quiet Utopia forever...knowing that one game a week will always be played. We will maintain our cover in the SWL room but only to moniter coaches to be invited to the elite..and ONLY after they pass many involved tests to prove they are worthy.

Post   Posted: Sep 15, 2004 - 15:18 Reply with quote Back to top

not a fan of the swiss draw, or of the pool format

good ol fashioned divs, with 6 teams, lasting for 5 weeks, games being canned monday without an email, or wednesday night at the latest.

german efficiency with the late games, no mercy.
ozjesting

Post   Posted: Sep 15, 2004 - 15:33 Reply with quote Back to top

mmm...why not? In fact what if SWL were all TEAM driven? More about the storied battles of such past squads as the Donut Boys and Carlton United....the evil menace that is the Warlizards, The laugh out loud musical madness that is the Black Crowes or the feel good story of the Picnic that is I-House. So...
I vote Divisions. Only if possible give them "room names" with some sort of imiginary scale that invokes the "premier" league on down. Then every season Declare the "house winner" and that is its own badge for the winning team. (to be added to their bios). THEN...re-set all the houses based on TR/ST as close as possible. (you could use last seasons W-L record as a tie break...with preference going to house winners where possible. OR put a Picnic where you have the top 2 (3?) teams from each house play a KO tournement...and the everybody ELSE ALSO plays in THEIR picnic (if this is possible. It gives them a chance to qualify for a better house too. THEN reset the houses as above.
What do you think?

Post   Posted: Sep 15, 2004 - 15:38 Reply with quote Back to top

Drokmar,

The Regional Pool, if it came to that would only be for regional coaches (and you can only have one team in the regionals, conf or premier)

The way I read Joe's idea is that it would be for "competitive teams" only... we dont want another 56 team QPool on our hands...

So if you want the Good Ol's in, then thats fine, but you couldnt earn promotion to Conference and then have another team in the Regional Swamp...

Joe - like the idea... we admins will probably discuss it in our secret little ways Wink
ClayInfinity

Post   Posted: Sep 15, 2004 - 16:03 Reply with quote Back to top

Geez, more ideas...

Good ideas guys...

Some minor points though - neverborn: divs are best, I agree, but we fluctuate in numbers season to season, we continuously rework the structure and it creates havoc each year... promotion / relegation etc keeps shifting. But yes, German efficiency is required and is working now... but alot of people in Regionals seem French Razz

Oz: I like it... the game is the thing... the community / team spirit and characters are what makes the SWL... but from an admin view, your idea sounds a little chaotic given the clunkiness of the administration side of things... but worth considering as well...

And you elite idea... how do you know it aint already happening.... Wink
XZCion

Post   Posted: Sep 15, 2004 - 16:14 Reply with quote Back to top

i like the idea of the regionals. however, i do think that the swiss format is a bad idea, even with the large disparity in tr. it doesn't let us see our games, and it doesn't let us play ahead. so if the regionals went to regular ole round robin, that'd be swell. also, swiss works best with a larger pool of players. as at the moment, in region b, snorri's karaz krashers have played all the teams that won their first few matches, and are now playing the new teams.

please no open round robin for the regionals. the orr for the qpool is fine, but for the 'real' tournament stuff they should definitely be structured.

i agree with neverborns german efficiency idea. if the swiss style runs again, swiss games should never ever ever ever ever be allowed to get an extension. mainly coz the problem is not not playing the game, it's that the entire tournament is held up while 1 game gets played late. also, if the swiss idea is gonna stay the pools need to be larger. if there's going to be a 7 round season, there need to be 14 teams in each swiss tourney.

my zany mad cap idea is one giant swiss comp for regionals. not that this is my prefered idea, just one that hasn't been mentioned. it would have to have an uber german cutoff, with no extensions given at all. however, with 30 teams battling it out over 7 rounds... it would be a very very very interesting season garunteed.

can i say no orr again? just in case you missed it the first time. orr would 'sux0r to 743 max0r' in a grandiose way.
chunky04

Post   Posted: Sep 15, 2004 - 23:23 Reply with quote Back to top

I agree with JK in that the Regional would definitely need a limited number of games, otherwise you'd get the same problem with Regional teams as with the old qpool ones - they become far away the best siides out there, as most of the Regional coaches simply don't possess the ruthlessness of the others, which tends to ensure no team stays at the top too long, but are continually rebuilding.

The other thing is, it could also open up the SWL to cherrypicking, which is something we have been in large part blessedly free from thus far. If we can get around those things, then the open round robin format may work, or we could go the very german route on forfeits and run Swiss - I'd happily volunteer to do those forfeits.

The other option is of crouse to run divs. I believe the problem there is the number of divs we'd have and how to sort out promotion. Why not come up with some sort of system to determine who exactly qualifies for potential promotion (div winners, first and second with wildcards etc), and then use performance in picnic to see who gets through? The best two/four whatever advance to the conferences, and that number of poor performers in the conferences fall back.

Post   Posted: Sep 16, 2004 - 02:03 Reply with quote Back to top

How often do new seasons start? Is the next one starting soon?
 Jump to: