43 coaches online • Server time: 10:22
Forum Chat
Recent Forum Topics goto Post TSC Draftgoto Post 4,000TV!goto Post IBA Draft League
SearchSearch 
View previous topic Log in to check your private messages View next topic
Poll
Do you believe in Evolution?
Brains ...
52%
 52%  [ 78 ]
Pie
30%
 30%  [ 45 ]
Macavity
16%
 16%  [ 25 ]
Total Votes : 148

SillySod

Post   Posted: Apr 22, 2008 - 23:30 Reply with quote Back to top

Pac, its nothing to do with what [R]anked is or whether [R]anked is better than [L]eague or whatever. Its not about blackbox. Sneaky is pointing out that you're not playing in [R]anked as its supposed to be played. Everyone who doesent takes it further from the ideal even if only by a small amount. Personally I dont really care but I can see his point.

Jan and Sneaky..... you need to create a metagroup for [R]anked where the idea is simply to be competitive Wink I still believe that marrying the concepts of blackbox and stables would be excellent though, I have quite a decent algorithm for it but almost certainly wont find time until at least the summer.

"There are those to whom knowledge is a shield. There are those to whom it is a weapon. Neither view is balanced."
AoP-Vimes

Post   Posted: Apr 23, 2008 - 00:36 Reply with quote Back to top

Well: We might get back to topic.
My team still misses an evolving tree, that looks good.
And i have no idea, how you put in that table of the group, which I saw in many of your teams.
Could you pls be so kind and send me the code for it, so i can vary it for my team?
Woulda be nice.

All the names for the sado- maso rats are ready and here is the tree:

The bashy Circle:

Linerat (rattus masochisticus) -->
Linerat 2nd form (rattus subdominantus) -->
Stormin Vermin (rattus sadisticus)-->
Stormin Vermin 2nd form (rattus dominantus)-->
Rat Ogre (rattus gigantus dominantus)

OR

The agility Circle:

Linerat (rattus masochisticus) -->
Linerat 2nd form (rattus slaveus) -->
Gutter Runner (rattus ropeus)-->
Gutter Runner 2nd form (rattus chainus)-->
Throwrat (rattus whippus lashus)

---> I have proven the opposite!
pac

Post   Posted: Apr 23, 2008 - 08:58 Reply with quote Back to top

SillySod wrote:
Pac, its nothing to do with what [R]anked is or whether [R]anked is better than [L]eague or whatever. Its not about blackbox.

Sneaky's post is about black box. It's all he ever talks about so everything he posts is ultimately about black box. Wink

Quote:
Sneaky is pointing out that you're not playing in [R]anked as its supposed to be played.

Supposed according to whom? The site authorities (ie, Christer)? Sorry, but I'm not very interested in their opinion of how each division is 'supposed' to be used, especially when it bears so little relation to how it's actually used. If they want things to be different (or even as advertised) they're their responsibility to reform the system, not mine. If I set up a league and it doesn't unfold as I had expected, I don't blame the coaches (not that Christer does - indeed, he's happy for people to do whatever they like).
JanMattys

Post   Posted: Apr 23, 2008 - 09:05 Reply with quote Back to top

pac wrote:
SillySod wrote:
Pac, its nothing to do with what [R]anked is or whether [R]anked is better than [L]eague or whatever. Its not about blackbox.

Sneaky's post is about black box. It's all he ever talks about so everything he posts is ultimately about black box. Wink

Quote:
Sneaky is pointing out that you're not playing in [R]anked as its supposed to be played.

Supposed according to whom? The site authorities (ie, Christer)? Sorry, but I'm not very interested in their opinion of how each division is 'supposed' to be used, especially when it bears so little relation to how it's actually used. If they want things to be different (or even as advertised) they're their responsibility to reform the system, not mine. If I set up a league and it doesn't unfold as I had expected, I don't blame the coaches (not that Christer does - indeed, he's happy for people to do whatever they like).

First example I see of a thread author derailing his own thread Very Happy

Post   Posted: Apr 23, 2008 - 09:50 Reply with quote Back to top

AoP-Vimes wrote:
And i have no idea, how you put in that table of the group, which I saw in many of your teams.
Could you pls be so kind and send me the code for it, so i can vary it for my team?

The best way is just to View Source and copy the code, although I can send it to you by PM if you want. There's still quite a lot you'll need to edit though (icons, names, placement in the tree, possibly size of the tree).

I would suggest a slightly more involved tree than just two branches so that there are choices more often, but if you're happy with just the two then yours looks fine. Smile

(Jan - I can have a simultaneous tangent within the topic while still remaining on-topic too. Wink)
NeilCollins_

Post   Posted: Apr 23, 2008 - 10:13 Reply with quote Back to top

Im thinking of doing an evolution team with chaos dwarves but Im needed some names for the positions.

I was thinking:

-->Hobgoblin -->Chaos Dwarf -->Chaos Dwarf -->Bull centaur
Hobgoblin --> Hobgoblin -->Hobgoblin -->Ogre
-->Hobgoblin --> Hobgoblin -->Hobgoblin -->Troll

Also could anyone help me on how I can get the icons from the team? Thanks
pac

Post   Posted: Apr 23, 2008 - 10:45 Reply with quote Back to top

NeilCollins_ wrote:
Also could anyone help me on how I can get the icons from the team? Thanks

You can find the icons (all the red ones, at least) at: http://fumbbl.com/files/images/
PhrollikK

Post   Posted: Apr 23, 2008 - 12:28 Reply with quote Back to top

Is anybody planning on starting a dedicated Undead/Necro [L]eague? Would be fun, but otherwise I will create a [R] team . . . . . .

SneakyFox

Post   Posted: Apr 23, 2008 - 12:59 Reply with quote Back to top

pac wrote:
SillySod wrote:

True. I even admitted it in my second post. I use any and all cheap tricks to advertise it Razz.

pac wrote:
SillySod wrote:

Also true, but unless you voice your opinion, nothing is ever going to change. I am sure you would also like to see a REAL competitive division, instead of a division that has all the players for the simple reason that none of the other divisions are popular enough to attract players. It is true that League is the only division where actual competition takes place, but the games do not count for CR or championship standing. Neither are there any big tournaments where everyone could participate (at least not ones with prices).

But as I mentioned earlier, as things are, it really doesnt matter what you do in Ranked, since the current format is a bit fawlty. The Powers-That-Be might as well stop advertising it as the competitive division. (Insert odd ramblings about blackbox here)

Post   Posted: Apr 23, 2008 - 13:25 Reply with quote Back to top

SneakyFox wrote:
Also true, but unless you voice your opinion, nothing is ever going to change. I am sure you would also like to see a REAL competitive division, instead of a division that has all the players for the simple reason that none of the other divisions are popular enough to attract players. It is true that League is the only division where actual competition takes place, but the games do not count for CR or championship standing. Neither are there any big tournaments where everyone could participate (at least not ones with prices).

I am fairly satisfied with League as a competitive division. It's clear that users are far better placed to run competitive tournaments than site staff as they can devote a larger proportion of their FUMBBL time to it compared with staff who have a lot of other issues to deal with. Ranked in the mean time serves the function of a mass-participation casual play division.

CR is neither here nor there. The Championship is ... an odd idea. It is only a stand-in and poor substitute for the kind of league competitions which are precisely the meat and drink of [L] anyway. While it is in some ways unfortunate that user created tournaments cannot offer prizes, the experience of Ranked suggests that these are either trivial (ie, amount to far less than the cost of competing in the first place) or serve to (or at least are perceived to) unbalance subsequent competitions. The main prize of a tournament is the trophy itself (and plenty of League tournaments have a nice line in shiny imgs).

If you really want a mass-participation competitive league/tournament/division, the best way to get one is for users to lead the way in creating it in League. The site staff, even were they inclined to do so, are not in a position, given their limited numbers and other demands on their time, to wave a magic wand and make it happen in Ranked.
Eghost

Post   Posted: Apr 23, 2008 - 13:43 Reply with quote Back to top

awww, 2 games played, no deaths, just 2 wins for my rat linos...Razz
Purplegoo

Post   Posted: Apr 23, 2008 - 13:58 Reply with quote Back to top

pac wrote:
SillySod wrote:

Quote:

The site has done nothing but funnel coaches in the direction of [R] since I got here, as we talked about at length in the thread about the discontent with [R] tournaments. If it were a truly competitive division, then they would push other divisions such that only the coaches desperate to win and do well in a ranking sense would play [R], and there'd be enough BB to go around for everyone else. To be honest, site policy has basically pushed Majors into what they currently are (for good or bad, let's not beat the point to death), and [R] into the only division where this would work, you aren't ever evolving a team in [U] now, are you?

[R] could be dealt with at a stroke. The fact is that it’s liked by those in charge (and I suspect the (in a forum sense) silent majority) quite how it is thank-you means that it’s here to stay as is. Evolve away to all!
Zaghrog

Post   Posted: Apr 23, 2008 - 14:53 Reply with quote Back to top

Eghost wrote:
awww, 2 games played, no deaths, just 2 wins for my rat linos...Razz

Well, my undead have it a bit opposite: one death in two games but lost both of them 0-2.

'Ere we go, 'ere we go, 'ere we go...
Habeli

Post   Posted: Apr 24, 2008 - 12:28 Reply with quote Back to top

I made a thread for the possible tournament/league action for Evolving teams.
http://fumbbl.com/index.php?name=PNphpBB2&file=viewtopic&p=306435#306435
Eghost

Post   Posted: Apr 24, 2008 - 13:00 Reply with quote Back to top

AoP, you lucker, 4 deaths in 4 games....I get none in 3
 Jump to: