43 coaches online • Server time: 00:15
Forum Chat
Recent Forum Topics goto Post Blood Bowl 2024 Edit...goto Post Convince a friend to...goto Post NBFL Season 32: The ...
SearchSearch 
View previous topic Log in to check your private messages View next topic
James_Probert

Post   Posted: Mar 08, 2011 - 12:38 Reply with quote Back to top

Garion wrote:
James_Probert wrote:
I heard rumours the tournament would start in 7 days, 9 hours and 30 mins... Very Happy

Thats very specific, hmm its almost as if you know something Razz

It's almost as if I know the time that all official tournaments on fumbbl start, and guessed an appropriate week, based on general statements made in chat. Very Happy

Post   Posted: Mar 08, 2011 - 12:41 Reply with quote Back to top

Purplegoo wrote:
Stop being so obtuse and using any excuse.

I was grinding absolutely no axe. There was no inference, however slight, in my post about one division being better than another, only that I was interested in playing the event the thread is about, and the one available route to that being transference of a team, something that isn’t in any way suggesting where the team has come from is sub standard. B not needing major tournaments is no comment on the division, infact, if you wanted to be a spin doctor about it, you could see it as positive.

Being the fun police and pointing out fun a > fun b is no good to anyone. I'm stopping participating now, because segways like these do no good.

Well, having to maintain teams if different divisions just in case there is a tournament is a pain in the ass. Especially as we have many new coaches who will only have played in [B]. Now to play in the 'big' tournaments they have to quickly pimp up a team in another division. A waste of time IMO.

I guess you don't think that a frenzied pimpfest would affect the fun factor in [R] or that an exodus would affect the fun in [B] Wink

Post   Posted: Mar 08, 2011 - 14:19 Reply with quote Back to top

koadah wrote:
Purplegoo wrote:
Stop being so obtuse and using any excuse.

I was grinding absolutely no axe. There was no inference, however slight, in my post about one division being better than another, only that I was interested in playing the event the thread is about, and the one available route to that being transference of a team, something that isn’t in any way suggesting where the team has come from is sub standard. B not needing major tournaments is no comment on the division, infact, if you wanted to be a spin doctor about it, you could see it as positive.

Being the fun police and pointing out fun a > fun b is no good to anyone. I'm stopping participating now, because segways like these do no good.

Well, having to maintain teams if different divisions just in case there is a tournament is a pain in the ass. Especially as we have many new coaches who will only have played in [B]. Now to play in the 'big' tournaments they have to quickly pimp up a team in another division. A waste of time IMO.

I guess you don't think that a frenzied pimpfest would affect the fun factor in [R] or that an exodus would affect the fun in [B] Wink

Just because it's an "official" tournament doesn't mean you have to be in it to be allowed to enjoy Blood Bowl. Don't feel like making another team? Don't. Just keep having fun with the teams you already do have.

People don't have to play in it if they don't want to. And if they do want to play, then you're going to have to put in a little effort.

Post   Posted: Mar 08, 2011 - 14:25
FUMBBL Staff
Reply with quote Back to top

James_Probert wrote:
I heard rumours the tournament would start in 7 days, 9 hours and 30 mins... Very Happy

I can deny this rumour easily.

The Warpstone Open will not start on Tuesday 15th march at 10pm bbtime.

Definately not.

He might not be a long way out though.

Post   Posted: Mar 08, 2011 - 14:37 Reply with quote Back to top

PurpleChest wrote:
James_Probert wrote:

Definately not.

Don't tournaments normally start on Wednesdays?

So, erm.
16th of March?
maysrill

Post   Posted: Mar 08, 2011 - 14:40 Reply with quote Back to top

PurpleChest wrote:
James_Probert wrote:

Definately not.

Possibly 24 hours off? Wink
WhatBall

Post   Posted: Mar 08, 2011 - 16:42 Reply with quote Back to top

Is there a TV minimum, for the tourney, or can you bring in a relatively low value team if you are brave and foolish enough?

Post   Posted: Mar 08, 2011 - 18:25 Reply with quote Back to top

This looks promising - can't wait to start playing tournies again. Best thing about the site and there are a lot of good things.
JellyBelly

Post   Posted: Mar 08, 2011 - 21:08 Reply with quote Back to top

It'll be great to see tourneys commencing again on Fumbbl, but I'm much more interested in the prospect of [B] minors and majors, tbh.

I absolutely Love tourneys, and if anything might convince me to go back to [R] again, that would be it. But I've got no intention of playing in [R] any time soon - I just so much prefer [B] as an environment to play in and get games in.

PC, can you give us any hint as to how far behind the [R] tourneys the first [B] tourneys are going to be? I really hope that [B] gets an even amount of tourney 'love' compared to [R], as I'm sure the majority of the [B] community loves tourneys just as much as the [R] community does.

"Go for the eyes, Boo! Go for the eyes!!" Razz
PainState

Post   Posted: Mar 08, 2011 - 23:29 Reply with quote Back to top

I think we need a majors reality check. The % of coaches who participate in majors is very small compared to the whole of the FUMBBL community. Ranked has 4 majors that have 16 qualifiers..128 teams/coaches...the last two years of Ranked majors has scene tournies kick off with some to a lot of fillers and some tournaments have left a few coaches out that just threw a team at the TR min and missed the cut. Box Majors were lucky to get 128 coaches and some kicked off as 64 team tournies,

Lets not over state how many coaches play in majors. A lot of coaches do not participate because they do not want to put the time into playing in the major. It does require a level of commitiment to play and they dont want that, that is OK by me.

A lot of coaches who do not play in majors like them because they like the opening weekends when majors games are going on and get in spec time, for them they like watching games that have meaning, KO style games.

When the majors kick back off the WO and CoS will have up to 128 teams in each tourney. How many are cross over coaches who are in both?

Maybe the WO only draws 64, does not mean the end of ranked majors.

Ranked majors will allways have the leg up on Box majors because the teams involved, not the coaches. A lot of coaches know and like/dislike the legendary teams in ranked and will show up to spec their matches and follow the prediction threads.

Majors are not just about the participants but also the spectators who enjoy watching the majors, yes there are a lot of coaches who would not enter one themsleves but enjoy watching them.

and lets not forget the large % of coaches who think Ranked and Box is filled by all the "tools" of FUMBBL and never even enter the FUMBBL or black box channells and only play in league games and chat with friends in all the league channels. The League only/prefer league to all other divs as a % is a lot larger than ranked or box.

Also if you took a snap shot of FUMBBL for anygiven week how many coahes in total played 1 match in a week? 500? 750?

It is not like the majors are drawing coaches from a pool of 5,000. They are drawing from the same pool every major with 20-60 extra coaches throwing their hats in the ring for a one time shot at a major.

For all the new coaches who have joined the FUMBBL ranks throw your hat in the majors scene, it is fun and rewarding. the Majors are the main tournies to prove your mettle. Because if they did not mean anything why do so many coaches get bent all out of shape when it comes to majors? Heck whenever competitive balance comes up it usually is in refrence to majors. But why refrence majors when such a small % of coaches actually participate in them?

Majors are the apex of the competitive nature of Ranked and Box and dont believe the tools when they say they have no meaning.

Post   Posted: Mar 08, 2011 - 23:38 Reply with quote Back to top

In more important news. The Fale Ogars will be in attendance.

[13:11] <;@Prinz> i can't ban bunny for being funny
robocoyote

Post   Posted: Mar 09, 2011 - 00:03 Reply with quote Back to top

as a rookieish coach I am very interested as pain state says to throw my hat in the ring and take my lumps and learn and i think alot of new coaches will do the same
JellyBelly

Post   Posted: Mar 09, 2011 - 00:35 Reply with quote Back to top

Even though I've been here a couple of years, I've still yet to enter a major. Main reasons being, when I first started on the site and was playing 10+ games per week, I was spreading my attention across too many different teams and didn't focus on any one team enough to build it up to a high enough TR to enter a major. Recently, I've been quite a bit more pushed for time and so haven't really been able to get any of my [B]ox teams up to a high enough TV for a major either.

Still ... I'd dearly love to enter a major for the first time. I'm working on my [B]ox teams and I'll try to enter the CoS (or whatever the next [B] major is) if I can. Smile

"Go for the eyes, Boo! Go for the eyes!!" Razz
Macavity

Post   Posted: Mar 09, 2011 - 01:17 Reply with quote Back to top

Typically, when Majors come up, I check if I have a team that qualifies, and enter if I do. They are rare enough that the wife cuts me some slack for getting extra time to play (She's also well aware I seldom make it past the first round). I would recommend giving it a shot to any and all. Especially newbies who are wondering if they are really getting any good.

Post   Posted: Mar 09, 2011 - 18:43 Reply with quote Back to top

Are there any threads about how to build a winning team in the Majors?
Specifically newer threads that take into account the rules in FFB?

If not I think it would be worth starting one... however "theoretical" it may be at this point.

Also is there a user guide for Newbs that suggests how much your team should be developed before thinking they could compete in a Major?
 Jump to: