39 coaches online • Server time: 12:56
Forum Chat
Recent Forum Topics goto Post My 1st Blackbox tour...goto Post Finishing the 60 Gam...goto Post Borg Invasion
SearchSearch 
View previous topic Log in to check your private messages View next topic
harvestmouse

Post   Posted: Dec 13, 2014 - 00:40 Reply with quote Back to top

JimmyFantastic wrote:
Mr_Foulscumm wrote:
This conversation is odd. What does any of this have to do with CR?

Was CR so boring that we had to move on to the Blackbox scheduler?

You know Harvestmouse Laughing

To be fair, I'm generally given carrots.

CR Question/Importance of CR/What ways to improve your CR/Team management's affect on CR/You're all dirty minmaxers...... (CPOMB to follow)
koadah

Post   Posted: Dec 13, 2014 - 01:06 Reply with quote Back to top

harvestmouse wrote:
Now we've gone from 11 to 13. However I think you're deliberately missing the point, as it's very difficult to make articulately.

"deliberately missing the point"?

I think the point is that we don't want the same thing. Which fine because the great thing about BB is that you buy the box and then you do whatever you like with it.

harvestmouse wrote:

What is the point of having 16 man rosters, if we don't use them? What is the point of having the ability to take several rerolls if we don't buy them? What is the point of having stat skills if we refuse them?

The point is that I can use them when I am flings (fairly often) an my team is pretty brittle.

A 14 man roster still leaves space for two stars which is not out of the question in the Box these days.

I agree that not many teams get to 2300 but under the new Box scheduler don't be surprised if you 30+ game 1550 team draws a 1800/1900+ team.

harvestmouse wrote:

There is a roleplaying aspect to this game, which is vital. Otherwise we're just playing chess with dice. If you take away the striving for the best possible team, then you are removing a massive part of the game. It becomes more like chess, which to some degree has happened to tabletop competitions. However there, the fluff is strong due to building and painting teams.

I think we've had this one before. We use the term "roleplaying" in different ways. You seem to use it to mean what I call "grinding".

My roleplaying is just fine.

Yes, I want a big awesome team but the road is hard. Hence all the CPOMB whining.

harvestmouse wrote:

If you cut out TV, what would happen? No more sweet-spotting, and you still have a lot of team management. I think team rating has a place, just it's importance right now overly exaggerated in importance and detrimental to the fantasy world and team building. Players want to dream of building the best team, not see teams constantly tread water as it makes them the most efficient.

Of course, we've always had management. Management that stops us building the most powerful team possible. However it's never been as prominent as it is now, and at some stage, it's a stage too far.

It is not my strategy to tread water. I aim to build to 14/15 players. If you have 16 where does Morg go?
But I am not going to carry a load of 0 skill rookies just to make up the numbers. Unless I'm planning a lot of fouling that is. Twisted Evil

When the guys I have have skilled up then I'll buy a new rookie to go on the line.
And yes, I'll save my cash so that I can buy back a positional immediately when they die.

Post   Posted: Dec 13, 2014 - 01:12 Reply with quote Back to top

harvestmouse wrote:
JimmyFantastic wrote:
Mr_Foulscumm wrote:
This conversation is odd. What does any of this have to do with CR?

Was CR so boring that we had to move on to the Blackbox scheduler?

You know Harvestmouse Laughing

To be fair, I'm generally given carrots.

CR Question/Importance of CR/What ways to improve your CR/Team management's affect on CR/You're all dirty minmaxers...... (CPOMB to follow)

I'm OK with going straight to "nerf CPOMB" without all that unnecessary foreplay.

Post   Posted: Dec 13, 2014 - 01:14 Reply with quote Back to top

koadah wrote:

I'm OK with going straight to "nerf CPOMB" without all that unnecessary foreplay.

LMAO. Best line ever?

Post   Posted: Dec 13, 2014 - 01:42 Reply with quote Back to top

happygrue wrote:
koadah wrote:

LMAO. Best line ever?

+1
DrPoods

Post   Posted: Dec 13, 2014 - 02:46 Reply with quote Back to top

Ha ha ha.

Post   Posted: Dec 13, 2014 - 03:01 Reply with quote Back to top

Maybe Overall CR should be a straight average of CRs across all 24 races. If you have never played with a race, it counts as 150. Wonder what that would do to race-playing incentives.
harvestmouse

Post   Posted: Dec 13, 2014 - 06:28 Reply with quote Back to top

Koadah, you are deliberately missing the point and changing it to what you want. And we're going around in circles.

Fidius, yeah I'd like this. I don't think it would work as CR, but it would work well as a monthly award. Kind of like how the championship worked.
koadah

Post   Posted: Dec 13, 2014 - 10:16 Reply with quote Back to top

harvestmouse wrote:
Koadah, you are deliberately missing the point and changing it to what you want. And we're going around in circles..

Which point am I missing Mouse? It seems to me that we just disagree.

1. My CR dropped more than I think it should have:
Don't worry so much about your CR.

2. People are team managing/min/maxing to win games/boost CR:
"Competitive divisions"? Good luck to them.

3. Min/max games are hugely imbalanced:
Really? compared to pre scheduler change? Compared to Legends picking Rookies? Compared to just bad match ups e.g. zons/dwarves? Compared to some huge TV mismatches?

4. The game is ruined:
Nah, it's better than ever.

5. It's not the way I like it:
Create a league and play it the way that you like it.

As far as I tell most of the whining is because people don't want to wait more than 26 seconds to get a game.
So, they join the biggest league possible in the hope that that will get them a game quicker.
But, a lot of those people making up the numbers have a different approach to the game.

Edit: 6. Obligatory CPOMB whine:
Actually, I like CPOMB. I just think it needs nerfing.
But wait. In a different league I'd probably like the option to buff it with the old style RSC. +2 DP too.

I much prefer CRP to LRB4. But even then I don't play much straight CRP.
With a game like this it doesn't make any sense for everyone to play exactly the same rules forever.

Post   Posted: Dec 13, 2014 - 10:50
FUMBBL Staff
Reply with quote Back to top

As this thread has mostly derailed to arguments, I'm locking it. The original topic is long since done and dusted.
 Jump to: