64 coaches online • Server time: 20:59
Forum Chat
Recent Forum Topics goto Post Finishing the 60 Gam...goto Post Borg Invasiongoto Post GIF Guide
SearchSearch 
View previous topic Log in to check your private messages View next topic
Gotte

Post   Posted: Dec 28, 2010 - 19:34 Reply with quote Back to top

Sitting here being uberpissed at people time-snipping on the ffb client I feel that there might be a need for a countdown timer. With a beeb at 30 and 10seconds (or whatever else) to make extra notice of when the time is comming to an end.

!RANT STARTING!

I am not a very angry man but some things pisses me off. And there is not much that piss me off more then getting the fun off the game destroyed by someone nitpicking every rule in the book. In my local gaming club I just start avoiding them until I forget what pissed me off (usually 1-2weeks. I find I have a hard time staying mad.)I got one guy especially at my gaming place who is just mean at new guys (cmon who actually remember every rule in a 200 page rulebook when they play 4-5 times a year?) He is the guy that makes you start debating in you'r head if the jailtime is worth it. Laughing

Well, now with the 4min rule here I find that this has just come here also. With some people watching the time limit like they are sitting on ebay sniping a keg filled with money go for 50pence. And that just destroy's the fun for me. I know that some people like the time limit. And actually I do to. But I would like more of a notice of the time as one can easily forget themself putting up a plan of uber awesomeness. So please. Give me a beaper.

RANT OFF
Reisender

Post   Posted: Dec 28, 2010 - 19:40 Reply with quote Back to top

nice rant.

ideally one would be able to set 1 or 2 timer as one wants (e.g. 2 min, 30 sec. or 1 min. 10 sec.)
ColonelSanders

Post   Posted: Dec 28, 2010 - 20:02 Reply with quote Back to top

I have yet to make the opponent skip his turn because of him taking to long but soon as FFB goes live i will, No excusse to take that long for a turn.

Also i think some thing needs to be done about when your waiting for apo to decide to use apo or dodge etc etc, I was watching a game and a guy was waiting for like almost 2 minutes for his opponent to choose to use dodge or not.

Ok he maybe was AFK but at least tell your opponent first i think there should be a 30 seconed timer on your coach to choose what he wants if faild by then his opponent can pick for him.

Post   Posted: Dec 28, 2010 - 20:06 Reply with quote Back to top

naaah, sanders.
maysrill

Post   Posted: Dec 28, 2010 - 20:07 Reply with quote Back to top

Heh, I can understand getting upset at nitpicking rules.

On the other hand, I've always found the 4-min timer excessive for online play. IMO, the rulebook was based around TT play, where with all the handling of dice and minis you have a legit reason to take that long for a turn. Extracting the middle player from a clump of bodies at mid-field can be quite delicate work. Checking on player skills is also more time-consuming, since you either need to cross-reference their roster with the player number, or ask your opponent.

In an online client, 4-minute turns (as a regular event, not "cat is on fire" time) are just lazy. Once you've learned the basic rules, 2 minutes a turn is probably a fair amount of time for a turn. If you're concerned that you don't have enough time to "think" about your play, how much time is enough? 5 minutes? 10? an hour? The goal of the 4-minute rule (TT-wise) is to keep the game moving while giving you physically enough time to move the players around. Cut out all the real-world upkeep of dice, paper, miniatures and basic math, and waiting around 4 minutes for someone to move 11 players is just excessive (IMO, your results may vary). That's an average of 21 seconds per move!

With the new client about to go live, it's a nice time to dredge up this old topic. The addition of auto-move takes one more semi-time-consuming task and automates it. Who is really having trouble moving their team in under 4 minutes, to the point where their opponent annoys them with calling them on it? Tell me your cat is on fire or your 5-year-old just climbed onto the roof, and I'll spot you the time it takes to get back. Watching you agonize over every turn to the point where I need to find another activity to keep myself busy? I'll pull the trigger if you go over.

(in NFL terms, I lose the "time of possession" battle most games I play. Slower players are fine, but every man has his limits)

{end rant}
pythrr

Post   Posted: Dec 28, 2010 - 20:28 Reply with quote Back to top

meh, how hard is it to get yr turn played in 4 mins?

more playing, less pr0n surfing.

Post   Posted: Dec 28, 2010 - 20:41 Reply with quote Back to top

4 mins is a long turn for a turn, if it looks into becoming a problem I will give a friendly warning that if they go over the 4 mins again I will end their turn.

Post   Posted: Dec 28, 2010 - 21:52 Reply with quote Back to top

4 minutes is plenty of time for an experienced player. I recently talked a couple of friends into trying the game and about half the turns they go over the time limit. Pretty much any turn that isn't ended early by a turnover. But in those cases, it is understandable. They are having to learn both the rules and the client and it can take a bit for them to figure out what they need to do. If you're playing against someone who has played more than 30 or 40 games on the site, then no, there is no reason for them to constantly go over 4 minutes.
Macavity

Post   Posted: Dec 28, 2010 - 22:02 Reply with quote Back to top

pythrr wrote:
meh, how hard is it to get yr turn played in 4 mins?

more playing, less pr0n surfing.

Not the prawns, but I have noticed that I beat less levels in Flash role-playing games in another window with the FFB asking me to participate and letting my opponent move quickly.

To the OP: People who are super picky about this kind of thing can be annoying in real life. I wouldn't want to play someone with a stop-watch going! You do need to realize that a lot of us are (somewhat) older family men, and 'nerd time' is alotted. If you knew you were taking up all of a guys hobby time in a week with one game when he was hoping for three, would it change your perspective on why the time limit is there?

Post   Posted: Dec 28, 2010 - 22:03 Reply with quote Back to top

Just only play against Woodstock, I'm not sure he even knows anything about the mythological time known as 4 minutes.

Post   Posted: Dec 28, 2010 - 22:30 Reply with quote Back to top

Macavity wrote:

To the OP: People who are super picky about this kind of thing can be annoying in real life. I wouldn't want to play someone with a stop-watch going! You do need to realize that a lot of us are (somewhat) older family men, and 'nerd time' is alotted. If you knew you were taking up all of a guys hobby time in a week with one game when he was hoping for three, would it change your perspective on why the time limit is there?

Although, old people shouldn't be allowed to use the internet.

Post   Posted: Dec 28, 2010 - 22:32 Reply with quote Back to top

I'm don't really have anything against 4 minutes. I actually quite like it as it speeds up the game. Otherwise I had the bad habbit to get stuck at bad times desperatly trying to look for a good way out. However I think a more obvious system is needed to show the player the time and give him warnings when the time is running low. The big difference between real life and this is the fact that in real life with friends you can give that warning and when 4mins have gone simply tell them to make their moves now or end the turn. And when on the talk of "cat on fire" incidents I had a incident earlier last week sometime when I had to do something told my opponent and he became an ass an gave 1-2mins when I got back to finish a whole round. The 4min rule is also not just about the time needed to move the players it's about the time needed to think.

So, my solution to both of these problems is simple. Give the players a 1-2 time usage of a 5min break button. And also give them a beeper warning when time is running out. I would say 2min-1min-30sec. And to add to another topic taken up. Play some sort of sound when the dodge question come up.
JimmyFantastic

Post   Posted: Dec 28, 2010 - 23:13 Reply with quote Back to top

Well I haven't played in a while but using dodge is optional and there is no time limit? I think maybe you should have 20 seconds or something to select to not use dodge otherwise you should use it automatically.

Post   Posted: Dec 28, 2010 - 23:18 Reply with quote Back to top

It is optional and there is no time limit. And I think it was Lakrillo/Kalimar that said an absolute no to add a time-limit. But Let's not go to far into that. There is a long topic about it.
Mr_Foulscumm

Post   Posted: Dec 28, 2010 - 23:22 Reply with quote Back to top

Gotte wrote:
It is optional and there is no time limit. And I think it was Lakrillo/Kalimar that said an absolute no to add a time-limit. But Let's not go to far into that. There is a long topic about it.

No time limit? Seriously? There are plenty of good reasons for having a time limit in the client. Not to name names but Smallman is one such reason.