36 coaches online • Server time: 11:55
Forum Chat
Recent Forum Topics goto Post TSC Draftgoto Post 4,000TV!goto Post IBA Draft League
SearchSearch 
View previous topic Log in to check your private messages View next topic
Kalimar

Post   Posted: Jun 20, 2007 - 21:00 Reply with quote Back to top

Plorg wrote:
I do. Scroll all the way down.

Mea culpa. Too much playing in [L] ...
I guess I looked at the wrong team page ...
silly me ... Rolling Eyes

That reduces my point to a wish of being able to transfer [L] teams to [U] as [R] and [A] are already able to ...
pythrr

Post   Posted: Jun 20, 2007 - 21:06 Reply with quote Back to top

L was designed for in house leagues - this works very well.

It was not designed for open competition, so its no surprise that coaches have a hard time finding open games there.

Post   Posted: Jun 20, 2007 - 21:08 Reply with quote Back to top

Becuase L teams can be built up under league house rules - Ie: a khemri team that plays only in a league full of one's friends' halfing teams, it would be unfair on other teams in U for such a built-up team to be released into the wilds of U....

Post   Posted: Jun 20, 2007 - 21:48 Reply with quote Back to top

Quote:

released into the wilds of U....

That would imply there are games happening in U. Not really the case. Looking at GameFinder right now (peak time in EU time zones) there are scores of R teams, 3 S, 6 L, 3 F and 2 A. Zero U. This is pretty typical.

Absolutely there are teams floating around L that will have abnormal development due to private leagues/stunties/Pact teams/etc. But that was the case in the old U as well. There were also many teams that play in LRB only balanced leagues and tournies looking for open play or building matches. You just have to pick and choose what type of match-ups you are willing to take, but at least give people the option.

Post   Posted: Jun 20, 2007 - 21:49 Reply with quote Back to top

nah

let's not

Post   Posted: Jun 20, 2007 - 21:58 Reply with quote Back to top

[L] works very well for leagues but not so well for tournaments.

If you lose in the first round you have no games for a month.

There are few teams available for higher TR tournaments.

Getting to high TR is slow on one or two games a month.

How many [U] coaches would really care if my team got where it is playing in an all elf league?
How many [U] coaches are there to care anyway?

http://fumbbl.com/FUMBBL.php?page=stats&op=games

Which is [U]? The yellow line? If so, it doesn't look to impressive

Allowing movement between [U] and [L] and from [A] to [L] with restrictions seems to make things better for everyone.

What is the down side?

Post   Posted: Jun 20, 2007 - 21:58 Reply with quote Back to top

Quote:
nah

let's not

Well, that does seem to be where we re at now. And that s also the typical reasoning (or lack thereof) for why not.

Post   Posted: Jun 20, 2007 - 22:09 Reply with quote Back to top

koadah wrote:

Swiss style tournaments could fill in the gap. They can identify a winner from the same amount of teams in the same number of rounds as a knock out.
But additionally the first round losers still can play on and compete for a better positioning.
Quote:

This is divU, isn't it? The yellow division might be LRB5.

Last edited by vanGorn on %b %20, %2007 - %22:%Jun; edited 1 time in total
Meech

Post   Posted: Jun 20, 2007 - 22:10 Reply with quote Back to top

Bampf, Unranked is supposed to be Ranked without the CR and tournaments. Keeping unranked and League as they are, how would you make unranked more desirable?

Post   Posted: Jun 20, 2007 - 22:19 Reply with quote Back to top

vanGorn wrote:

yeah I think it is. funny thing is, it's slightly more popular than Faction.

I see div U as fumbbl prison. It's for ranked teams that won't conform to the guidelines. You're not suppose to want to play there...you simply get regulated to it.

With that, I'm surprised Faction teams don't have the "option" to go there.

Post   Posted: Jun 20, 2007 - 22:32 Reply with quote Back to top

vanGorn wrote:
koadah wrote:

Swiss style tournaments could fill in the gap. They can identify a winner from the same amount of teams in the same number of rounds as a knock out.
But additionally the first round losers still can play on and compete for a better positioning.
Quote:

Even those stats are not great. I can't see the problem with playing in [U] during the 'off season'.

I have thought about a swiss before. Sounds like as much greif to run as a round robin. If not worse. Sounds like a real pain just to skill teams up for your main tournament.

Post   Posted: Jun 20, 2007 - 22:35 Reply with quote Back to top

Meech wrote:
Bampf, Unranked is supposed to be Ranked without the CR and tournaments. Keeping unranked and League as they are, how would you make unranked more desirable?

Uh, if you keep them as they are they will be unchanged and therefore not more desirable. So I have no idea what you are asking.

Now if you combined the two, you can have the best of both worlds. Casual U players looking for the R (sans time limit and CR) open play will have a much easier time getting opponents (though they will have to filter out the non-LRB league specific teams). While league and tourney players can play in their leagues and tournies but also have matches available for building their teams between said tournies.

See... everybody happy.

Post   Posted: Jun 20, 2007 - 22:40 Reply with quote Back to top

koadah wrote:
vanGorn wrote:
koadah wrote:

Quote:

Even those stats are not great. I can't see the problem with playing in [U] during the 'off season'.

I have thought about a swiss before. Sounds like as much greif to run as a round robin. If not worse. Sounds like a real pain just to skill teams up for your main tournament.

I don't think the swiss tournament has to be painful work for the founder. Just be strict in keeping the schedule running. The fixtures that haven't been played in time, have to be forfeited. Too much lenience could thwart the progression of the tournament.

Meech

Post   Posted: Jun 20, 2007 - 22:44 Reply with quote Back to top

bampf wrote:
Meech wrote:

Uh, if you keep them as they are they will be unchanged and therefore not more desirable. So I have no idea what you are asking.

Now if you combined the two, you can have the best of both worlds. Casual U players looking for the R (sans time limit and CR) open play will have a much easier time getting opponents (though they will have to filter out the non-LRB league specific teams). While league and tourney players can play in their leagues and tournies but also have matches available for building their teams between said tournies.

See... everybody happy.

Except that there are Non LRB4 teams available in [L] that aren't available in [U]. That is the difference. Unranked is supposed to be LRB4 compliant without the [R] issues. Adding Chaos Flings to Unranked would make it not so.

Post   Posted: Jun 20, 2007 - 22:48 Reply with quote Back to top

Quote:

(though they will have to filter out the non-LRB league specific teams).

I pointed that out. Several times. Like I said, if players want a R-like environment, just don t play those teams (or teams that make a habit of playing those teams). So it means you need to be a bit more selective about your opponent, but at least you can get games. I think that s a small pittance to pay considering how much more active both divisions could be if combined.

Jump to: