46 coaches online • Server time: 15:51
Forum Chat
Recent Forum Topics goto Post Finishing the 60 Gam...goto Post Borg Invasiongoto Post GIF Guide
SearchSearch 
View previous topic Log in to check your private messages View next topic
Garion

Post   Posted: Nov 02, 2010 - 12:09 Reply with quote Back to top

Any confirmation on the animated rock or pass ruler Lakrillo? Smile

Post   Posted: Nov 02, 2010 - 12:13 Reply with quote Back to top

No confirmation, just my personal oppinions. Smile
Throw a rock would be cool, but as said, it is low on priority. On1 have been yelling about this for a long time now.

pass ruler, i think there was some problems with having the different lenghts showing on it. but you can pass to a square and see where the color changes to see how much further you need to go.
So it is more of a convenient thing now than a real feature-request.
uuni

Post   Posted: Nov 02, 2010 - 12:18 Reply with quote Back to top

Is the pass range picture in Garion's post not old? I remember that currently 7 squares straight ahead is long pass as opposed to JBB's 7 squares ahead of short pass.
Garion

Post   Posted: Nov 02, 2010 - 12:24 Reply with quote Back to top

Lakrillo wrote:

pass ruler, i think there was some problems with having the different lenghts showing on it. but you can pass to a square and see where the color changes to see how much further you need to go.
So it is more of a convenient thing now than a real feature-request.

This came up on another thread a while back and I read the same response there, but it doesnt actually work, the ruler only appears if you move the cursor over another player on your team but it doesnt appear if you move the cursor over an empty square unless you have used all of your movement up already I believe. I will test this tonight when I finish work.

I also understand the problems with the range ruler in ski junkies client as there are a couple of squares that show the pass should be a 3+ but they are actually 4+ rolls.
But even if we could just have an overlay on the pitch of the picture i posted when passing that would be really nice or something similar.
Lakrillo

Post   Posted: Nov 02, 2010 - 12:29 Reply with quote Back to top

Garion, you have to click your player to select "pass to square" to be able to target any square on the field, it is the same way you select different actions during games or tell your player to end his move.
Garion

Post   Posted: Nov 02, 2010 - 12:36 Reply with quote Back to top

Ah right sorry I didn't realise you had to select another action to pass to a square mid movement.
It still seems a bit clunky imo. Obviously there are bigger fish to fry at the moment but once the client is near completion I think this is something that needs to be looked at as it is not very intuative at the moment IMO.

Post   Posted: Nov 02, 2010 - 12:58 Reply with quote Back to top

Ye old passing range discussion:
http://fumbbl.com/index.php?name=PNphpBB2&file=viewtopic&t=16209

Thumbs up for throw-a-rock animation and some sort of passing ruler.

Post   Posted: Nov 02, 2010 - 13:01 Reply with quote Back to top

As i said, the feature is there, it is just a little clumsy to use.
Of course this is something that can be looked at to see how easy it is to make it more userfriendly.
Carnis

Post   Posted: Nov 02, 2010 - 13:12 Reply with quote Back to top

Currently there's no other logical way to pass to an empty square as moving is also done by clicking squares.. Btw garion, the chart you posted is for the javabowl client, not for TT-Blood Bowl or the FFB client ;p.
Garion

Post   Posted: Nov 02, 2010 - 13:22 Reply with quote Back to top

Carnis wrote:
Currently there's no other logical way to pass to an empty square as moving is also done by clicking squares.. Btw garion, the chart you posted is for the javabowl client, not for TT-Blood Bowl or the FFB client ;p.

Ah yes so it is :S I didnt realise that. The short and long pass are one square out :S lol It was the first one I found when I searched.

The problem isn't throwing to an empty square though it is working out how many more squares movement are required to reduce the throw roll. If the correct chart could be added as an overlay from the player making the pass that would be great.

The correct pass ruler.
Code:
   0  1  2  3  4  5  6  7  8  9  10 11 12 13
0     Q  Q  Q  S  S  S  L  L  L  L  B  B  B
1  Q  Q  Q  Q  S  S  S  L  L  L  L  B  B  B
2  Q  Q  Q  S  S  S  S  L  L  L  L  B  B
3  Q  Q  S  S  S  S  S  L  L  L  B  B  B   
4  S  S  S  S  S  S  L  L  L  L  B  B  B     
5  S  S  S  S  S  L  L  L  L  B  B  B     
6  S  S  S  S  L  L  L  L  L  B  B  B
7  L  L  L  L  L  L  L  L  B  B  B 
8  L  L  L  L  L  L  L  B  B  B  B   
9  L  L  L  L  L  B  B  B  B  B   
10 L  L  L  B  B  B  B  B  B     
11 B  B  B  B  B  B  B     
12 B  B  B  B  B
13 B  B   

Edit: I guess this is a lot harder to get right now that pass is selected before the movement as it should be.
Lakrillo

Post   Posted: Nov 02, 2010 - 14:12 Reply with quote Back to top

Garion, also think about that your graph is just showing 1/4 of the possible passing. You would need to make that graph into a circle. That option feels like it would look pretty bad in the client, making it harder to see the interceptors and what players had moved and so on. (lot of information overlaying eachother)

The new passing sequence is much easier than JBB, but it is a little harder (just slightly) to see the difference in the range than in JBB.
I agree that it would be good to make it easier, however how this could be done in a good way is another thing. That chart is not the answer in my oppinion.
Louky

Post   Posted: Nov 02, 2010 - 15:23 Reply with quote Back to top

Maybe add a specific shortcut to "color" the pitch squares based on the passing distance
radiating from the active player and using a sensible color scale
(something along green/yellow/orange/red resp. meaning quick/short/long/long bomb)

This "rainbow" would not be very nice to the eye I guess but could be helpful on a ponctual "GFI or not" situation
and by remaining a toggle option it would not hamper classic play the rest of the time.
Garion

Post   Posted: Nov 02, 2010 - 15:45 Reply with quote Back to top

Lakrillo wrote:
how this could be done in a good way is another thing. That chart is not the answer in my oppinion.

I agree with you I think this is a very tricky thing to get right now that passsing works in the way it should.

I guess the way it works now is possibly the only way it could work I'm just interested to see if anyone can think of any other way of implemnting this in a more user friendly way.
Shraaaag

Post   Posted: Nov 02, 2010 - 15:54 Reply with quote Back to top

Not sure how difficult it is, but you could use a meta-key (shift, alt or ctrl) to show the passing grid. Several other games uses this to highlight stuff (loot, the grid, resources etc...).

Post   Posted: Nov 02, 2010 - 16:47 Reply with quote Back to top

I have an idea, will see if it is possible to implement in a good way.
 Jump to: