38 coaches online • Server time: 18:27
Forum Chat
Recent Forum Topics goto Post Finishing the 60 Gam...goto Post ramchop takes on the...goto Post Borg Invasion
SearchSearch 
View previous topic Log in to check your private messages View next topic
Poll
Are vampires worse team in BB?
Yes
32%
 32%  [ 41 ]
No
67%
 67%  [ 84 ]
Total Votes : 125

Zyad

Post   Posted: Dec 05, 2004 - 21:21 Reply with quote Back to top

memola wrote:
Well, I voted for a no, although I haven´t played with them yet, but i have against.
My vote for the worst roster goes to....

Nurgle Rotters: a bad game and you have to retire the whole team, as you have no apo and a minimum of 6 players that don´t regen with av8... Any stilletto/claw/dp can make a real disaster on them. And rotters are slow getting spp and very expensive...

hrmmm, yeah, i always thought that beastmen should get an apoth just like thralls, or at least have regen....

But on the subject of vamps, i do not think they are the worst team, although they are probably one of them
Glomp

Post   Posted: Dec 05, 2004 - 21:27 Reply with quote Back to top

...and when you factor in aging the team just looks terrible.

Vamps are probably best for short tourneys, rather than as a long term competative team.

Post   Posted: Dec 06, 2004 - 00:05 Reply with quote Back to top

Agree with Thrall's order. Absolutely do not agre with ogres being a poor team... in fact, they are way too good. I've played them almost exclusively lately.

They are late bloomers, but once they get going, they are pretty ridiculous. Consider the fact that if they ever make it to Legend, they have a guaranteed 3 doubles rolls.

Late bloomers, but they rock... eventually. They also do just fine in the meantime. I've had whole game where an ogre never took a block. THAT is surivability.

EDIT: One thing I thought I'd bring up since many people still don't seem to be aware of it:

OGRES CAN USE RE-ROLLS.

Last edited by Imerikol on %b %06, %2004 - %00:%Dec; edited 1 time in total
avoozl

Post   Posted: Dec 06, 2004 - 00:30 Reply with quote Back to top

I haven't played Vamps, and I intend to never doing it. I've only played against them and boy, was that a treat for the eye!
Must say that I laughed the entire match through.
He had unluckily bought six vampires so a little now and then one of his players disappeared or killed his own.

On a failed OFAB-roll one player most likely goes off the field, Vampire or Thrall.
Bone Head or Wild Animal is so much better. On a failed roll they remain on the field and they don't kill one of their own.

What I think - (literally and metaphorically) - Vampires suck.
Jackbedead

Post   Posted: Dec 06, 2004 - 00:36 Reply with quote Back to top

Norse aren't the worst. They all start with block, so for a basic team they're amazing. What they need is armor 8 on blitzers and I think they would be fixed. Amazons start with dodge and can get blodgers faster than any other team. They could also go for an armor boost on their blitzers. Their blodging ability would balance out with the norse's ability to field a BG. OFAB is really bad, and vamps are penalized too heavily for it IMO. I think either not casing a turnover, or stunning the vamp would be better options. I play strigs, and just try running around with AV 6 thralls, once my thralls are gone, and they will be, I lose. No choice. I think vamps would be more interesting with something like regen on the thralls. Or even fielding something like, 0-4 vampire brides with a regen ability. Just something to make their linos suck less and stick around more.

I think ogres have a little bit more of a draw back because they can't take generals, but if they could I think they would be too strong. With Pro and block being the first skills, they would devestate everything.
Cortelll

Post   Posted: Dec 06, 2004 - 03:46 Reply with quote Back to top

I think the main thing here is to change the OFAB rule, it just too hard for them to play and survive, something I would like to see is to have the Vampires off for a Bite to actually just go next to a thrall and leave them without zone block, meaing that they are like a bone head, they lose their tackle zone till the next move, they are not hurt, because the vampires did not take enought blood, but they took enough to leave them light headed therefore they are just standing there like a bone head.

Vamps Group
gken1

Post   Posted: Dec 06, 2004 - 03:59 Reply with quote Back to top

ogres the worst? please tell me how u attack a team with 8 ogres on the pitch besides hoping they just fail bonehead rolls?
Jackbedead

Post   Posted: Dec 06, 2004 - 04:14 Reply with quote Back to top

Well, if it's not balanced they'll change it. Look at wild animal and how many times it's changed. I think the current one is the most fair. OFAB is by far the most damaging and probably will be toned down.
gken1

Post   Posted: Dec 06, 2004 - 04:20 Reply with quote Back to top

Jackbedead wrote:
Well, if it's not balanced they'll change it. Look at wild animal and how many times it's changed. I think the current one is the most fair. OFAB is by far the most damaging and probably will be toned down.

doubt it from what i've heard from BBRC members
GalakStarscraper

Post   Posted: Dec 06, 2004 - 05:18 Reply with quote Back to top

Jackbedead wrote:

Gken's got it right. This version of OFAB saw a LOT of playtesting. Don't expect it to be changed in the next review or the one after that if you are a betting man.

I've seen several coaches do VERY well with this team ... including a coach in my league who almost went to the league finals with this Vampire team in a 45 coach league.

This team is about patience and development more than any other team. If you start greedy ... your team will be pitiful. But if you start with a team with a mix like 2 Vampires / 10 Thralls / 4 Rerolls / 9 Fan Factor / 10k in treasury. First purchase in an apothecary for the Thralls ... after that you take Pro as your first skill on normal skill rolls for both your Vampires. You never purchase another Vampire until all the Vampires on your team currently have Pro. Never field more than 4 Vampires on the pitch at one time. Do not be afraid to simply let a Vampire be removed from the pitch on a failed OFAB roll ... there will be many a time where you'll be better off doing so than biting a Thrall. Oh and don't forget you can bite a Stunned Thrall ... and two Vampires can bite the same Thrall in the same turn ... I've seen a lot of rookie players do poorly because they didn't think either of these were legal in the game.

And yeah... the team will be a lot better in FUMBBL once Ski gets the new Hypnotic Gaze working as that really helps the team out.

This is supposed to be a challenging team to play ... easier to win with than Stunties ... but more difficult than the other teams ... this is on purpose in the team's design.

But trust me when I tell you I've seen several patient coaches really kick ass with this team in league play.

Galak
Funso

Post   Posted: Dec 08, 2004 - 12:30 Reply with quote Back to top

Orcs are the worst (for every player with a winning record, there are 20 with a losing record, we only see the winning records!), closely followed by Norse.
Zy-Nox

Post   Posted: Dec 08, 2004 - 12:42 Reply with quote Back to top

Galak Has summed them up perfectley, You need a degree of patience to use them effectively,

as for the worst team, dunno, Nurgle would probably feature up there due to lack of apoth.

Post   Posted: Dec 08, 2004 - 12:54 Reply with quote Back to top

I think Ive lost twice to vamps , and that was when i was playing vamps , I do feel a lot of the problems is few people know how to use them , pro is more important than block for vamps , dont forget if you do pass your ofab you can use the pro to reroll your block , or a failed dodge or a GFI or a pass or anything else you need to do.
wheras block will never save you if your ofab fails .

gken1 wrote:
ogres the worst? please tell me how u attack a team with 8 ogres on the pitch besides hoping they just fail bonehead rolls?

Last ogre team i played conceded after I head stomped one of his little ogre princesses , with 6 ogres by right they should fail boneheads pretty often .

they cant at low trs (even at about 200 they still have problems with this ) tackle / block so if you can dodge or block you have a fairly good chance of knocking them down in a fight anyway .

Goblins and Halflings are probably the worst ranked teams
mutescreamer

Post   Posted: Dec 08, 2004 - 13:14 Reply with quote Back to top

I think vamps are one of those teams you have to be fairly experienced to even begin using properly. Definitely not a team for a newbie coach...but due to the great stats on a vamp.....quite a likely choice.

Discounting Flings and gobbos, I would say Rotters are pretty poo, like chaos but scarier to use just cos of no apoth. THose poor beastmen
BunnyPuncher

Post   Posted: Dec 08, 2004 - 13:51 Reply with quote Back to top

I've noticed the teams with more rr than vamps, can be rather tenacious at times!