26 coaches online • Server time: 07:24
Forum Chat
Recent Forum Topics goto Post Borg Invasiongoto Post Making Assassins mor...goto Post New Team Page Beta
SearchSearch 
View previous topic Log in to check your private messages View next topic
maysrill

Post   Posted: Aug 18, 2010 - 18:58 Reply with quote Back to top

Arktoris wrote:
I toss a team in the box when finding a ranked game is difficult. other than that, not much reason to play there.

This more succinctly sums up my view on the Box.

If I had my guess, once FFB goes live, there will be a pristine period of new-only teams until the grandfathering conversion is ready.
adambomb

Post   Posted: Aug 18, 2010 - 19:09 Reply with quote Back to top

PainState wrote:

In North America, as I have said over and over, BOX is dead.

Yep, no matter how many times I activate, I can never get a game anymore. So it's not for lack of trying. It's for lack of other coaches activating in the Box anytime after 9pm PST
DukeTyrion

Post   Posted: Aug 18, 2010 - 19:22 Reply with quote Back to top

koadah wrote:
DukeTyrion wrote:
What we really need, is a testing division for FFB in Blackbox.

I think you will find that alot of Blackbox players are playing the new FFB Client.

It would be interesting to see how many would play Blackbox in an FFB enviroment.

The reality is probably more 'Death of Blackbox in LRB 4', as I think it will only get stronger in FFB.

Creating yet another testing division could be a lot of work just for something that might be 'interesting'. Only Christer knows.

If the hardcore [B ] purists are happy to declare LRB4 [B ] dead then sure go for total switch over. The new client is clearly already good enough for a lot of coaches.

It is still not finished though. Are Christer/Kalimar going to have to keep clearing the database? Are people happy with that?

Grandfathering is probably not ready. How many of you are happy with a TV1000 reset?

Switching [B ] first sounds good to me but I don't think it is what Christer was planning.

It is not finished though. Are people prepared to put up wi

The division is going to need to be created eventually anyway, regardless of whether I find the results 'interesting'. So the work will not be wasted, it's just a question of when Christer thinks the timing would be best.

As for a declaration from the [B] purists, you will never get everyone to agree on anything, so you will only know when the newer division goes live.

As for clearing the database, are people playing in the FFB division aware that a full reset might be coming up in the future? Is this any different?

If grandfathering is not ready, the division can be set up as new and if Christer decides to allow teams to move across it can happen later (no different Ranked to FFB).

As for what Christer is planning and when, I have no idea. I do know that trying to get a Blackbox game at the moment though is somewhat of a struggle (even at UK prime time).
koadah

Post   Posted: Aug 18, 2010 - 19:57 Reply with quote Back to top

I'm all for it Duke. It's up to the Big Man.

[R] seems to be doing just fine so a boost for [B] looks like a good thing.

Post   Posted: Aug 18, 2010 - 20:17 Reply with quote Back to top

If someone created a poll i'd vote yes.
nin

Post   Posted: Aug 18, 2010 - 20:50 Reply with quote Back to top

I don't play Ranked and don't have time to play League (nothing wrong with those, just a fact)

FFB BlackBox: yes (so at least some "purists"... crap nick, I just play BBox, would be happy with the change)

And it might be smother and easier to adapt than it'll be with Ranked, because there are fewer issues with legend teams (so it could work as a migration test)
Nightbird

Post   Posted: Aug 18, 2010 - 20:56 Reply with quote Back to top

DukeTyrion wrote:
What we really need, is a testing division for FFB in Blackbox.

I think you will find that alot of Blackbox players are playing the new FFB Client.

It would be interesting to see how many would play Blackbox in an FFB enviroment.

The reality is probably more 'Death of Blackbox in LRB 4', as I think it will only get stronger in FFB.

What he said...

Post   Posted: Aug 18, 2010 - 21:44 Reply with quote Back to top

Formerly I was only interested in playing B. Now I'm only interested in playing B with the new FFB client.

I think there are probably at least a few like me.
freak_in_a_frock

Post   Posted: Aug 18, 2010 - 21:49 Reply with quote Back to top

Honestly i think that goes for the vast majority of the Box coaches, especially the active ones.
T_Witch

Post   Posted: Aug 18, 2010 - 21:55 Reply with quote Back to top

To be honest...over the last several months I've only been activating for box if I can't get a ranked or league game first. Still love the box and what it stands for. Just got sick of playing orcs orcs and more orcs with some khemri and dorfs thrown in. This problem I don't see being solved by switching box to FFB...in fact I see it getting even worse. Hopefully I'm wrong...if they do make a FFB box division when it goes official I would certainly make a few teams there. I don't see how a testing division would be needed though...the game is the same you just need to test to see if the scheduler converts to the new client.
DukeTyrion

Post   Posted: Aug 18, 2010 - 22:00 Reply with quote Back to top

captainmalkor wrote:
To be honest...over the last several months I've only been activating for box if I can't get a ranked or league game first. Still love the box and what it stands for. Just got sick of playing orcs orcs and more orcs with some khemri and dorfs thrown in. This problem I don't see being solved by switching box to FFB...in fact I see it getting even worse.

FFB has Journeymen, which makes a huge difference to non-bashy sides.
shadow46x2

Post   Posted: Aug 18, 2010 - 22:59 Reply with quote Back to top

Grod wrote:
benjysmyth wrote:
You know one thing I really would like to die?

The "Death of Ranked/Black Box" threads currently appearing ad nauseum.

Then don't join the discussion! These threads are discussed by people that are passionate about improving FUMBBL and don't want to stick our heads in the sand if we see a problem, but instead prefer to discuss what to do about them.

I mean heaven forbid, we might actually talk about something on the forum here, it has been so peaceful lately what a shame to try and change that.

wow....way to be a jerk, grod...

ever stop and think that maybe his point wasn't that you should ignore a problem, but that people should quit opening a new thread every other day, and actually use the other threads that already exist, that are already discussing the low amount of games played?

and honestly, he's right...had i caught this thread on the first page, i would have locked it already...

you people are notorious for making 10 threads discussing the same exact issue, but just looking at it from the slightest different perspective to make it seem new and fresh....

--j

ps...i moved your thread to the correct forum as well....

ImageImage
Were_M_Eye

Post   Posted: Aug 18, 2010 - 23:14 Reply with quote Back to top

This thread reminded my of all the threads about faction. So many "faction is dying" threads. It is like i self fulfilling prophecy. First guy say: "this division is dying". Next guy thinks: "i better not play there, that division is dying". And viola, its dead.

And when the box is dead it will all be Grod's fault for starting this thread.

Post   Posted: Aug 18, 2010 - 23:44 Reply with quote Back to top

Quote: And viola, its dead.

The idea of a musical instrument bringing down blackbox made me chuckle.
f_alk

Post   Posted: Aug 18, 2010 - 23:47 Reply with quote Back to top

Grod wrote:
In fact the popularity of Black Box is dropping for some time. Meanwhile, Ranked, F and League are all becoming more popular.

"for some time" is 30 days where [R] and [L] stay stable, while [F] is slightly winning and [B] is slightly losing?
Or, maybe for some time is 30 weeks or even longer? Then [F] is the only winner - not having existed before that's easy. *All* others are losing about the same.

You try to read into the noise of the daily fluctuations. Of course then a weak starting day will make it look like "rising" while a strong starting day will make it look like "falling".
Try to fit a straight line, so that it has the least distance to each and every of the 30 points, that slope is important.
 Jump to: