42 coaches online • Server time: 00:40
Forum Chat
Recent Forum Topics goto Post Designer's Comm...goto Post It's almost tim...goto Post Claw/MB
SearchSearch 
View previous topic Log in to check your private messages View next topic
MattDakka

Post   Posted: May 14, 2024 - 20:37 Reply with quote Back to top

If high TV is not Blood Bowl, I wonder why the players have 6 skill slots.
High TV Blood Bowl is unbalanced like low TV Blood Bowl, just the unbalances change.
High TV at least has an extra variety value due to the interactions of more skills.
That said, as the rules are, high TV is not a spot where I like to play and I would welcome a Season Re-Draft.
As an aside, I played 17 Box games with a new Vampire team and I didn't find them so hard to play, even without skills. The sample is not great, I know, but with a starting Vampire team I honestly expected to struggle more.
After all, when a Gaze counters all the target's skills, you don't need many skills. Gaze is a very TV-efficient universal counter. It removes the need to have Tackle, Wrestle, Strip Ball, Grab, Dodge, Juggernaut etc.
The Throwers have Pass, the Runners have MA 8, barring super bad dice scoring is not hard. The Blitzer has Juggernaut for reliable blitzing. You can even stall a bit, then on offence the opponent must be wary of Gaze because just a single 2d blitz on ball carrier could stop the drive.
With Kick on a Thrall you can kick deep and young teams generally can't score fast (Elves and Skaven can, but most teams need to run with the ball, and this needs caging and many players busy protecting the ball carrier).

Last edited by MattDakka on %b %14, %2024 - %21:%May; edited 2 times in total
Garion

Post   Posted: May 14, 2024 - 21:02 Reply with quote Back to top

@Matt high TV BB isn't meant to be a thing due to seasons. As you say there are 6 skill slots but you know perfectly well this edition is designed with the specific intent of keeping teams below 1600 TV

Hypno is fine. Yeah it's strong. But there's nothing wrong with some skills being good. Having Starting Ma8 ag4 player is what makes them a winning team.

Orcs and Underworld are way more busted.

Post   Posted: May 14, 2024 - 21:06 Reply with quote Back to top

Yes, I know but, as far as I know, the Season length is not a fixed number.
The Commissioner could decide to have a Season 20 or 30-game long.
What about reducing the skill slots at 3 then, or just use a hard TV cap at 1600 or lower? That would be even better than a Season Re-Draft, if the purpose is keeping the teams low TV.
That would be even more radical, because the TV would be kept in check game after game, not just at the end of a X-game Season.
A variable length Season doesn't necessarily imply that the game should be played at low TV only.
That said, considering the ruleset, high TV is broken indeed, I don't argue about that.
If I could I'd only play in the 1400-1550 range.

Last edited by MattDakka on %b %14, %2024 - %23:%May; edited 1 time in total
Garion

Post   Posted: May 14, 2024 - 22:37 Reply with quote Back to top

Capping skills at 3 would remove development choices.
Hard TV cap is clunky. There are more elegant ways to handle things

The rulebook recommends season lengths iirc. I think it suggests around 8 games. Obviously it can be anything. But again... you know perfectly well what the intent is.

Post   Posted: May 14, 2024 - 22:51 Reply with quote Back to top

With Re-Draft there should not be much development anyway, right?
Hard TV cap is not clunky, it's easier and more practical than Season Re-Draft, which is clunky book keeping, also, it keeps in check teams game after game (which is better than letting teams grow for some games then be trimmed by Re-Draft).
Yes, the rulebook recommends, doesn't state an exact Season length, as far as I know.
Yes, I know the intent and it's something which still creates problems (tier 1 being even better with Season Re-Draft, tier 2 and 3 even less appealing, due to lack of skills). It's better than playing vs high TV super farmed teams, but not absolutely better.

Last edited by MattDakka on %b %14, %2024 - %23:%May; edited 1 time in total
Garion

Post   Posted: May 14, 2024 - 23:01 Reply with quote Back to top

Yeah redraft and seasons is also clunky

New edition is out this autumn anyway.. so who knows how things will look

Post   Posted: May 14, 2024 - 23:03 Reply with quote Back to top

Oh, really?! I didn't know that the new edition is coming, nice to know. Maybe all the Elves will be able to pass again!

(the first step on the road to disappointment Razz )
Sp00keh

Post   Posted: May 14, 2024 - 23:12 Reply with quote Back to top

Garion wrote:
New edition is out this autumn

CITATION NEEDED
awambawamb

Post   Posted: May 14, 2024 - 23:43 Reply with quote Back to top

I foresee a seasonless variant and a revisitation of Block and Tackle skill, because they just like to watch the world burn.
heed my words

spinball

Post   Posted: May 15, 2024 - 00:52 Reply with quote Back to top

Man I win one major and everyone wants the rules to change (lol).

There is zero downside to using hypnotic gaze. If they changed it to backfire on a natural 1 (you lost your skills and tackle zone) it would make it so it wasn't automatic with every move.
MattDakka

Post   Posted: May 15, 2024 - 01:20 Reply with quote Back to top

The downside is risking to bite a Thrall or a turnover if Bloolust is failed. Not saying it's a big downside, but it's not really a zero downside Action.
The big potential of cancelling all the target's skill overshadows this very little downside, though.
MerryZ

Post   Posted: May 15, 2024 - 07:02 Reply with quote Back to top

But hard TV cap really doesnt serve any purpose ?

Cutting TV on seasons do. You build the best team in x ammount of games so you are the best team you can be for playoffs and on playoffs you try to be best team to get to finals and then win it all.

Hard capping TV on some ammount just doesnt do anything does it ? That just simulates exhibition games and that you can just do by picking skills and teams beforehand and just play, no ?

Post   Posted: May 15, 2024 - 07:53 Reply with quote Back to top

Sp00keh wrote:
Garion wrote:

CITATION NEEDED

It's happening. The only issue is GW are having massive shipping issues currently... AOS 4 has been delayed 2 weeks already. If it keeps getting pushed back it may impact other releases

Post   Posted: May 15, 2024 - 10:49 Reply with quote Back to top

Garion wrote:
Sp00keh wrote:
Garion wrote:

CITATION NEEDED

It's happening. The only issue is GW are having massive shipping issues currently... AOS 4 has been delayed 2 weeks already. If it keeps getting pushed back it may impact other releases

Sounds alot like "trust me bro"
MerryZ

Post   Posted: May 15, 2024 - 11:09 Reply with quote Back to top

What is this bro thing I heard all the time ? Im only child so dont have brothers (or sisters sadly, ive heard those are better)