26 coaches online • Server time: 08:50
Forum Chat
Recent Forum Topics goto Post Borg Invasiongoto Post Finishing the 60 Gam...goto Post GIF Guide
SearchSearch 
View previous topic Log in to check your private messages View next topic
Wotfudboy

Post   Posted: May 17, 2006 - 19:57 Reply with quote Back to top

I hear what you are saying about the ability of all coaches to apply on a first come first served basis... that's good...

But the competitive point to the OCCS is to rack up as many match/tournament wins as possible.

Therefore, as I was trying to point out (probably badly!), an av9 team will more likely be able to apply to each tournament and compete time after time.

An av7 team will probably lose more players, and if they entered as many tournaments as an av9 team they would end up in a lot worse state than the av9 team.

So if we were to look at the top 3 teams at then end of the competition I would suggest that an av7 team will not be present.

On the upside though, teams are allowed to played other unranked games in between tournaments to recooperate. I just find generally, not just in the OCCS, but other tournaments as well, the shorter the format the more chance an av7 stands of winning, and the longer the format, the more chance an av9 team has of winning.

So, what do we learn from this for the OCCS... either do what is possible to restrict the teams of one type entering a tournament, or simply encourage more av7 teams to participate... or a combination of both! Hopefully this discussion will do that!

Post   Posted: May 17, 2006 - 20:06 Reply with quote Back to top

More AV7 needed? I just put another one of my vampire teams in the OCCS.

Frankenstein

Post   Posted: May 17, 2006 - 22:43 Reply with quote Back to top

I don't think that there should be any racial limits for the cups, the freedom of choice and the broad range of tournaments strongly contribute to the attractivness of the OCCS.

And If your elves get hammered, you can always enter a low-TR next month anyhow.

However, I do see a problem with the majors, as these are indeed dominated by high TR AV teams. As these majors are redundant Amorical Regional Playoffs anyhow, they should be replaced by something else perhaps.

Invitational cups which coaches may enter with 1 of their teams might be an alternative.

Examples of such cups:

- a major which may be entered by the best team of each race (max. 16)

- a major which may be entered by the 16 best teams

- a major which may be entered only by finalists (or finalists and semifinalists)

Just some brainstorming, as such majors would make it necessary to change the very structure of the season.
Da_Todfatha

Post   Posted: May 27, 2006 - 14:41 Reply with quote Back to top

Well, discussion is commencing on ways we might improve this situation. I for one want to maintain the freedom to diversify not enforce diversity.

With that in mind, I encourage any agility or AV-7 team, heck anyone really, to post here when you are looking for a recovery match. Remember you can play against ANY Team when you are not in tournament, so recovery should not be too big a problem.

I feel this should help quite a bit, and it will allow the OCCS staff to focus on possible solutions to the Majors.

Thanks,

Da_Todfatha
Da_Todfatha

Post   Posted: May 31, 2006 - 18:02 Reply with quote Back to top

Attention Coaches!!!

Here is what our current participation level looks like:

RRC 8 Teams entered 4 teams waiting, we could use 4 more new teams!!!

OWS 8 teams entered 3 teams waiting, we need 5 more TR 125 max!

MC 16 teams entered, I went ahead and started this one today.

ARS 8 teams entered, 3 teams waiting, we need 5 more TR 175 max!

ARC 8 teams entered, 5 teams waiting, we need 3 more TR 200 max!

ARP 7 teams entered, we need one more TR 200+

Please apply your teams asap! with 220 teams registered for the OCCS, we should be able to get these all filled to 16!

thanks, OCCS Staff
BB-Pad

Post   Posted: Jun 18, 2006 - 15:50 Reply with quote Back to top

OCCS Group Scores - I've been catching up with the Series scoring and all should be up-to-date including the May tournies but not June. Let me know via PM if you think I've made a mistake. Remember "coin toss" wins count as a draw giving 3pts not 5pts, and you don't get any points for "byes" (matches against filler teams).

OCCS Staff

Post   Posted: Jun 24, 2006 - 13:13 Reply with quote Back to top

July Tournaments are now accepting applications!!!

Please remember that the 2nd Major (Ogre-aid Challenge) will be played this month. Your team must have participated in a minor tournament in either April, May, or June to play in the Ogre-Aid Challenge!!!

And recruit your friends!!! What kind of pal would you be if you weren't willing to smach thier face in? Twisted Evil

OCCS Staff
Wotfudboy

Post   Posted: Jul 05, 2006 - 12:49 Reply with quote Back to top

Applied, played and out with the elves: http://fumbbl.com/FUMBBL.php?page=match&op=view&id=1266943

Unless something amazing happens I think the Godless Exiles elves will bow out of the title race... There's little point trying to rebuild and rebuild only to get beaten up in one competition again. Ah well.

Edit - Actually I've retired them now. They served me well, and provided a good amout of entertainment!
Frankenstein

Post   Posted: Aug 01, 2006 - 22:18 Reply with quote Back to top

We really need to rethink the applying process in my opinion.

It simply can not be that the Brotherhood of the Slayer didn't get a slot in the Amorical Regional Playoffs 08/06. This constitutes a massive distortion of the competition.

Teams that have won previous tournaments and/or are serious competitors to win this season's championship should not be punished for reaching finals. At least for the ARP I could also see that teams with high TR should enjoy the privilege of preferential treatment, especially with regard to teams with a TR below 200.
Jinxed

Post   Posted: Aug 01, 2006 - 22:37 Reply with quote Back to top

I actually applied too. (with my Brotherhood that is)

Weird...

Post   Posted: Aug 02, 2006 - 18:18 Reply with quote Back to top

Frankenstein wrote:
We really need to rethink the applying process in my opinion.

It simply can not be that the Brotherhood of the Slayer didn't get a slot in the Amorical Regional Playoffs 08/06. This constitutes a massive distortion of the competition.

Teams that have won previous tournaments and/or are serious competitors to win this season's championship should not be punished for reaching finals. At least for the ARP I could also see that teams with high TR should enjoy the privilege of preferential treatment, especially with regard to teams with a TR below 200.

The "First come, first served"-principle is fair. I think even the prosperous teams could apply while they are still involved in another tournament.
There should be the possibility to replace a "weak" team, with a tougher one, but only when the coach of the weak team voluntarily makes room for the tougher team.

Frankenstein

Post   Posted: Aug 02, 2006 - 22:18 Reply with quote Back to top

vanGorn wrote:
The "First come, first served"-principle is fair. I think even the prosperous teams could apply while they are still involved in another tournament.

No, they can't apply as long as they play in the tournament. And sometimes they don't even know which TR-bracket will be suitable for them.
Quote:
There should be the possibility to replace a "weak" team, with a tougher one, but only when the coach of the weak team voluntarily makes room for the tougher team.

I disagree, teams of dedicated coaches which have played many games (and thereby contributed a lot to the group) should enjoy priority if it comes to the distribution of slots, at least if these teams couldn't apply earlier because of upcoming OCCS-games.

I mean, it's a bit lame that champions might not be able to defend their titles. Engagement and reliability have to be rewarded somehow.

BTW: This is also what happens in FUMBBL's national leagues. No one would seriously support a claim which would allow upstarters to replace the premiere divisions' teams, just because the current season hasn't finished yet.
vanGorn

Post   Posted: Aug 02, 2006 - 22:46 Reply with quote Back to top

Quote:
BTW: This is also what happens in FUMBBL's national leagues. No one would seriously support a claim which would allow upstarters to replace the premiere divisions' teams, just because the current season hasn't finished yet.

Leagues with advancement and relegation are a different matter.
The membership in a tournament results of the matches played in the previous season.
OCCS has a pool of more that 200 teams which can distribute themselves every month among the cups respective to their team rating.

Da_Todfatha

Post   Posted: Aug 02, 2006 - 23:25 Reply with quote Back to top

Well we are open for suggestions, tbh, out of a pool of 200+ we currently only have roughly 56 teams playing. If every month we had 32 teams signed up for each level of tournament, it likely wouldn't be an issue but, especially this summer, the tournaments have often run with only 8 teams competing.

So what if the current tournament winner for August for example, retires his team? Do to TR losses or gains it is no longer eligible for the tournament that it won? the coach just doesn't want to play? When during the month should that take place?

The main problem with running 6 tournaments on a monthly basis is time. And the lack of it to be flexible. The OCCS flexibility exists in the fact that whatever happens, when the deadline comes, the OCCS Staff could very well hand out forfeits and move on. We roll with the punches, and there will always be a tournament (assuming enough teams sign up) the following month, at every level.

I also would like to add, that coupled with other discussions about reforming OCCS it is extremely difficult nigh impossible to incorporate all of the different proposals.

1. Reserved spots in next months tournaments for those teams currently playing in a tournament.

2. Balance the Teams allowed to play in a tournament, either by race, or bashy/agility/middleground categorization. (this only seems to apply to excluding bashy teams, a tournament with all AG teams is acceptable)

3. allow the most participation each month so as to be fun and competitive.

4. Make the Admin requirements small enough that BB-Pad and Da_Todfatha don't have to quit their day jobs to manage it.

5. Did I miss anything?

1 and 2 seem to conflict a bit with each other, but they maorly conflict with 3 and 4, though I'm sure it will be argued that 2 is necessary for 3 to be possible also.

I don't know. Keep up the discussion. If we can come up with a good way to do it, and keep #4 in check, we will make some changes.
Mr_Foulscumm

Post   Posted: Aug 03, 2006 - 15:59 Reply with quote Back to top

So is this the place to post for the Amorical Regional Playoffs 08/06?

My Dark Elves, the Darkwater Diablos vs Anarchy Syndicate (Chaos)

I would like to say the following to the next team to play against the Anarchy Syndicate: "Please, please, please kill Treasurer"
Read the match report and you will know why I feel justified to place this bounty on the guy Very Happy
 Jump to: