16 coaches online • Server time: 06:13
Forum Chat
Recent Forum Topics goto Post Finishing the 60 Gam...goto Post ramchop takes on the...goto Post Borg Invasion
SearchSearch 
View previous topic Log in to check your private messages View next topic
Poll
What catergory best fits your FFBox experience
I am new to Black Box and enjoyed the experience
19%
 19%  [ 21 ]
I am new to the Black Box and was disappointed
3%
 3%  [ 4 ]
I have played Black Box before and enjoyed the new look
53%
 53%  [ 58 ]
I have played Black Box before but was disappointed with the new look
3%
 3%  [ 4 ]
I like pie, especially when it has fish in it.
20%
 20%  [ 22 ]
Total Votes : 109

WhatBall

Post   Posted: Jan 17, 2011 - 15:52 Reply with quote Back to top

I loved it. Long live FFBox!

Post   Posted: Jan 17, 2011 - 15:53 Reply with quote Back to top

backelie wrote:
I'm not a fan of the box idea in general simply because I think this game is too long / slow to sit through a poor matchup.
(Also I hate losing, so any time I lose I consider it a bad matchup. And I'm not a very good player, so you can see how anything except cherry-picks might be a problem for me Razz )

I still gave it a whirl though, and have so far been positively surprised. Only 1.5 boring games in 5 matchups so far Smile

I think most people that aren't massive on the Box would agree on this as their primary reasoning (well, the first bit).

Whilst it's the only show on the road, I guess let's throw ourselves into it and see where it goes. Who knows, might be way better now. In my 4 games, only one would I have said was a dodgy bot call (well, 2 if you don't ignore a no Inducement bug, but that's a bug) that I'd never have played, and 3/4 good games is a pretty good [B] ratio from memory. Plus, not met an idiot coach yet!

Gogogo, let's try and sustain this interest!
Grod

Post   Posted: Jan 17, 2011 - 15:57 Reply with quote Back to top

Ullakkomorko wrote:
I will only get to play today but I'm already liking players like this! Beware the fearsome Double Claw!

http://fumbbl.com/FUMBBL.php?page=player&player_id=7052240

That looks like a good conservative solution to Grand-Fathering. Not much for the anti-grandfathering people to complain about there!

Oscar Wilde
WhatBall

Post   Posted: Jan 17, 2011 - 16:03 Reply with quote Back to top

Grod wrote:
Ullakkomorko wrote:
I will only get to play today but I'm already liking players like this! Beware the fearsome Double Claw!

http://fumbbl.com/FUMBBL.php?page=player&player_id=7052240

That looks like a good conservative solution to Grand-Fathering. Not much for the anti-grandfathering people to complain about there!

I still say that all those with Claw/Claw should also get the No Hands skill. Laughing
uzkulak

Post   Posted: Jan 17, 2011 - 16:16 Reply with quote Back to top

Its been great to get back in the box. Had one very dodgy matchup, but for me that just makes the whole experience more real - and one day I know I will beat a dwarf team with my goblins! Fantastic to see so much interest and activity again, long may it continue.
Purplegoo

Post   Posted: Jan 17, 2011 - 16:24 Reply with quote Back to top

I don't think 'Stunties V Dorfs' counts as a dodgy match, really. Not getting those games is dodgy-er. Wink
ignatzami

Post   Posted: Jan 17, 2011 - 16:30 Reply with quote Back to top

I played two and a half Box games before the server wont down. One solid match (Skaven v. Chaos) and one solid match, with a horrid coach (Rotter v. Chaos) and my third game died halfway through when the server crashed.

I like the box format, I will continue to play the box format. I just hope that R moves over to ffb soon.
uzkulak

Post   Posted: Jan 17, 2011 - 16:53 Reply with quote Back to top

Purplegoo wrote:
I don't think 'Stunties V Dorfs' counts as a dodgy match, really. Not getting those games is dodgy-er. Wink

If both teams are at full (or near full) strength - and with no inducements - I agree. Wink Anyway, its swings and roundabouts IMO, we all want to fancy ourselves as good coaches, matches like these are a good time to try and prove it.
Purplegoo

Post   Posted: Jan 17, 2011 - 17:57 Reply with quote Back to top

I've had a couple of games now where I've induced a star (Saw) and it's no showed.

I understand Kalimar is aware of the bug, so no news there, but I was wondering if this issue stretches to all stars?

Just trying to make sure that we don't select things we can't have until we're fixed up.
shadow46x2

Post   Posted: Jan 18, 2011 - 04:51 Reply with quote Back to top

jeez..seriously?...

you guys need a cigarette or something? towel maybe?

--j

ImageImage
Craftnburn

Post   Posted: Jan 18, 2011 - 06:52 Reply with quote Back to top

I had played 1 (yes just 1) Box game before.. and I've played 1 (so far) in the new format. It's still too early to tell but I really like the experience. Even though we didn't have enough teams to activate on the first try (10pm Central US time) we got several matches just 15 min later. I'm excited by what I've seen and will be playing more!!!
Malmir

Post   Posted: Jan 18, 2011 - 08:00 Reply with quote Back to top

This is also exactly how I feel - only difference is if this promising beginning continues I may continue with it and balance it with ranked when ranked makes the switch.

Purplegoo wrote:
I played thirty odd games in the old Box over two sessions or attempts, and really disliked it. I found I had to play coaches I didn’t like much too often, teams that weren’t ’properly’ built too often, there was this feeling of ‘us and them’, the bot did a really poor job of finding me good games (certainly terrible when compared to two humans looking at a gamefinder) and all in all, I found it most sub-optimal and wasn’t surprised it died a death after the initial novelty.

I was / am so excited about the new client that I strapped myself in for some Box action last night, and will give it a reasonable new trial in the new rules with some just for fun teams. I found the system much improved from what I remember - games every 15 minutes if there are enough active coaches is nice, I very much enjoyed the one-click start, I might even abandon IRC for a bit! I think TV and Inducements will fix my issue with silly 1FF + star teams, since I suppose 1 FF is normal now, most teams are more pimped. I am wanting to change icons as soon as is feasible, but I do realise these things take time. My game was totally fair enough and one I would have selected myself, a sample size of one is hardly much, but it’s a good start and I hope it continues.

I still doubt it will be my division of choice in the long term for my serious open BB, but since it’s all there is at the moment, I’m in for a good go. Early signs are of a decent improvement.

Great job by BigC et al getting it going, huge thanks that this client exists at all. I think it will all be a bit confusing for a newbie, so I do need to hunt down someone that can use Wiki to get that Quick Start going! Smile
Malmir

Post   Posted: Jan 18, 2011 - 08:03 Reply with quote Back to top

And again - it's like the dude's in my head...

Purplegoo wrote:
I don't have any issue with people 'pushing' the Box and enjoying the site however they please. I only get annoyed when (because I prefer [R]) it's instantly implied that I must be a picker, games I play are less important / fair and Box coaches are holy. If we can stay away from those sorts of themes, I can't see why anyone would mind a bit of gentle advertisement.

So long as battle lines aren't drawn, there will be no need for anyone to get ratty.
Ullakkomorko

Post   Posted: Jan 18, 2011 - 08:14 Reply with quote Back to top

Khemri teams with skills have Block on the tomb guardians. This is not such a big issue with advanced teams as now the guardians lack Mighty Blow and when an AG1 player has two or three skills, getting more is a pain. And without MB the guardians aren't too useful in an advanced team.
odi

Post   Posted: Jan 18, 2011 - 08:28 Reply with quote Back to top

Yay, finally got a game for my gobbos after a long break. The new box will propably be great for gobbos. Dont have to worry about the scewed TR/TS anymore (which was a pain, usually ended up giving 3 or 4 handies if you were lucky to be scheduled) and journeymen will help after bad games. So the process of creating that goblin legend continues.
 Jump to: