21 coaches online • Server time: 07:48
Forum Chat
Recent Forum Topics goto Post Borg Invasiongoto Post Making Assassins mor...goto Post New Team Page Beta
SearchSearch 
View previous topic Log in to check your private messages View next topic
Poll
Shall Fumbbl merge Box into Ranked?
No, Ranked and Box stays own divisions with own Tournaments
19%
 19%  [ 20 ]
No, Ranked and Box stay own divisions but all teams can take part in all Tournaments (like FC)
46%
 46%  [ 48 ]
Yes, merge Ranked and Blackbox and make suggested Rankingchange
18%
 18%  [ 19 ]
Yes, merge Ranked and Blackbox
15%
 15%  [ 16 ]
Total Votes : 103

RC

Post   Posted: Nov 17, 2010 - 17:10 Reply with quote Back to top

I am looking forward to CR reset in R. The old ts standard just won't cut it anymore Very Happy

Post   Posted: Nov 17, 2010 - 17:28 Reply with quote Back to top

RC wrote:
I am looking forward to CR reset in R. The old ts standard just won't cut it anymore Very Happy

I would imagine (I don't know really) all of the racial factors will be reset and TV replace TS in the formulae like for like. To be fair though (and I'm not trying to start another sub-thread) with the majority of races, not enough has really changed to say that resetting all of the racial factors to 50.00 on D day will get us to a settled LRB6 TV number quicker than leaving the numbers where they are at the end of LRB4. Actually, I would imagine it would get to where it should be more swiftly if we start from where we left off? Maybe?

Do you mean that (as in, resetting the mechanics), or do you mean a full ranking reset, 150 for all? I guess when the site changed from the previous rules to LRB4 is your best guess as to if that will happen, was there a reset then (before my time)?
freak_in_a_frock

Post   Posted: Nov 17, 2010 - 17:41 Reply with quote Back to top

backelie wrote:
What I don't understand is why the box needs to be a division instead of just an option for matchmaking in R.
You could even have a [B]adge of honor for teams that only play in the box but merging just gives more options for matchmaking removing nothing as far as I can tell.

Since we are newbie friendly now...

Search the forums and you will find many reasons why this statement doesn't work. In fact a few pages back i explained in detail why it just means fewer games for the majority of of the site, only increasing the number of games for the minority that want it mixed. Every poll done so far suggests that most people want the divisions kept separate.
pizzamogul

Post   Posted: Nov 17, 2010 - 17:42 Reply with quote Back to top

Why can't the division that is BlackBox be run as a Meta-group within a single competitive division?

Mark games arranged by the auto scheduler on the match report along with games played in official tournaments (Oh, and have such matches carry a bigger k-value when calculating Coach Ranking (like tourney matches used to)). Teams that only play such games are the only ones eligible for the BlackBox tournaments. Then everybody could jump into Smacks, XFLs, Minors, Tours and the classic Majors at any time w/o penalty.

Would the current crop of die-hard BlackBox coaches really be so upset with be paired up against an "open" opponent? The auto scheduler should pair up those matches fairly/evenly - does it really matter what path was taken en route to a one-off match? I would think that a larger pool of teams to draw from would mean less frequent "no goes" with the auto scheduler and that would be a win for everybody.

Personally, I hate the game surrounding the game that is trying to find fair matchups in Ranked. I'd use the auto-scheduler most of the time. But I'd still like to be able to play arranged matches against Synn, Ro, Foulscumm, and others (but not Shadow) as they presented themselves.

Post   Posted: Nov 17, 2010 - 18:01 Reply with quote Back to top

pizzamogul wrote:
Personally, I hate the game surrounding the game that is trying to find fair matchups in Ranked. I'd use the auto-scheduler most of the time. But I'd still like to be able to play arranged matches against Synn, Ro, Foulscumm, and others (but not Shadow) as they presented themselves.

I think you hit on the BIG advantage of a combined division. This is probably more important than the tournament issue.

"There are those to whom knowledge is a shield. There are those to whom it is a weapon. Neither view is balanced."
Macavity

Post   Posted: Nov 17, 2010 - 18:13 Reply with quote Back to top

Irgy wrote:
The problem as I understand it is not so much that people have to cherry pick in [R], it's that they have to play against, or at the very least indirectly compete with (in terms of TR cutoffs and general team condition for tournaments), other people who've cherry picked.

Playing them is no problem, and competing against them otherwise just make victory the sweeter.

Post   Posted: Nov 17, 2010 - 18:24 Reply with quote Back to top

shadow46x2 wrote:
there are actually plenty of opportunities for people to find games.....

they only use 1 or 2 aspects(gamefinder/blackbox)....

there's only about 50 applicants to smack tournaments, which kick off weekly....if people are so hard up for games, why not start taking taking advantage of the tournament system, instead of only relying on gamefinder to find a match?

--j

Tournaments are great, and I apply to Smacks as my schedule allows, but it's an awful way to "get games". The hassle of scheduling a tournament game is worth it IMO, but it's not something I do because it's a superior matchmaking system.

Saying to someone, essentially: "your 210/190 orcs want to play my 208/189 CDs?" is a lot quicker than: "Hi, I see you're from Denmark and work nights. I'm from the US and work days. Is the 1-hour window where our schedules match up a good time for you? Well hmm, maybe I can get out of work early one day this week if you can go in a bit late."
pizzamogul

Post   Posted: Nov 17, 2010 - 18:28 Reply with quote Back to top

SillySod wrote:
pizzamogul wrote:

I think you hit on the BIG advantage of a combined division. This is probably more important than the tournament issue.

Avoiding Shadow?

*nods*

Post   Posted: Nov 17, 2010 - 19:19 Reply with quote Back to top

maysrill wrote:
shadow46x2 wrote:
there are actually plenty of opportunities for people to find games.....

they only use 1 or 2 aspects(gamefinder/blackbox)....

there's only about 50 applicants to smack tournaments, which kick off weekly....if people are so hard up for games, why not start taking taking advantage of the tournament system, instead of only relying on gamefinder to find a match?

--j

Tournaments are great, and I apply to Smacks as my schedule allows, but it's an awful way to "get games". The hassle of scheduling a tournament game is worth it IMO, but it's not something I do because it's a superior matchmaking system.

Saying to someone, essentially: "your 210/190 orcs want to play my 208/189 CDs?" is a lot quicker than: "Hi, I see you're from Denmark and work nights. I'm from the US and work days. Is the 1-hour window where our schedules match up a good time for you? Well hmm, maybe I can get out of work early one day this week if you can go in a bit late."

i never said it was a fabulous way to get games....i said it was an option that a lot of people don't explore, but complain that there aren't enough options to play games..

--j

ImageImage
asharak

Post   Posted: Nov 17, 2010 - 22:03 Reply with quote Back to top

pizzamogul wrote:
Would the current crop of die-hard BlackBox coaches really be so upset with be paired up against an "open" opponent? The auto scheduler should pair up those matches fairly/evenly - does it really matter what path was taken en route to a one-off match?
I suspect this would be the problem point. I don't really care but I guess it could be annoying as at the moment if you face a team in great shape you know it got there by fighting through random other teams etc. In your suggested system it could have got there by picking and then once it is at a TV-sweetspot with everything well optimised it joins the sheduler and gets lots of extra ranking points by playing a team that may be of similar TV but is a bit ragged and unbalanced.

Or at least thats how I see the argument developing Smile

Post   Posted: Jan 16, 2011 - 17:16 Reply with quote Back to top

I didn't get to vote because I have been away for about 6 months...thanx to my crazy wife...ahem...I mean ex-wife.

I would have voted for the merger. I was so excited then the idea of the black box came up. I would have used it all the time. Then it came out as a different division and I have never got to use it. People know me from being on here for so long and they know I play 1 team. That is it. I don't want to make a bunch of teams in the novelty divisions and put 800 teams on the finder like KenThis. I was most famous for Khorne's Scorn and when they reached 1000 games I started Death Valley Daze. Now, Death Valley Daze is the only team I care about. The are the only team I want to play. Unfortunately it became harder to find opponents because half of them split from ranked for BB. I hate all the different divisions because they seperate us. I would love for there to be only two divisions...RANKED, run by the site, and LEAGUE run by us.
You better believe if BB was an alternative to the finder for the Ranked teams...Death Valley Daze would be on there 3-4 times a week. As it stands now, my choices are more limited opponents on the finder or make a new team for the BB and ignore my pride and joy.

I call for less division...more inclusion.

Post   Posted: Jan 16, 2011 - 17:26 Reply with quote Back to top

Yeah... this thread was dead for a reason...
 Jump to: