35 coaches online • Server time: 09:08
Forum Chat
Recent Forum Topics goto Post Finishing the 60 Gam...goto Post Borg Invasiongoto Post GIF Guide
SearchSearch 
View previous topic Log in to check your private messages View next topic
bartgoon

Post 20 Posted: Sep 20, 2007 - 01:35 Reply with quote Back to top

Automatch Tool

Would there be a way to program an automatch tool in ranked? The gamefinder has a 'suggested coach' section, wherein it suggests the legal coach who is closest match to you. It would be cool if you could put your team in and then the next team along that matched would be autoassigned to play.

The tool could be anonymous so you can't see who is in the room waiting.

A counter of games autopicked on the profile could determine who really are the 'coaches who will play anyone', and will leave the cherrypickers to pray on each other.

It could even making finding matchups faster, not slower, once everyone was doing it.
JigerJones

Post   Posted: Sep 20, 2007 - 01:38 Reply with quote Back to top

Not sure how difficult it would be to do this, but I like the idea. Then again, I play more "bad" matchups than most anyway Smile
Motskari

Post   Posted: Sep 20, 2007 - 01:41 Reply with quote Back to top

Haha, can imagine all those team building elf coaches moaning already.
JanMattys

Post   Posted: Sep 20, 2007 - 01:42 Reply with quote Back to top

Ahaha imagine all Ranked become a division of Chaos, Orcs, Khemri, Undead and Dorfs because no one would ever dare to play other races...

No thanks.

Post   Posted: Sep 20, 2007 - 01:43 Reply with quote Back to top

You are talking about a blackbox system.

I love the idea, if players really didn't want to play a game then they could always concede.

Two problems with it though...
1. Christer dosent seem to think it is appropriate to Bloodbowl and the FUMBBL environment
2. It would encourage more bashy teams... just look at the number of games played by orcs and dwarfs already... thats WITH an disincentive for them to be played. The situation could get outrageously out of hand.

Edit: is has been suggested before that a new league should be set up alongside ranked to test it and hopefully to eventually replace it. This is likely to become a bash only system VERY fast, it would take a long, long time to recover its reputation. if you want blackboxing on your games then play a SMACK. The more people we get doing this, the easier it will be to start them.

"There are those to whom knowledge is a shield. There are those to whom it is a weapon. Neither view is balanced."

Last edited by SillySod on %b %20, %2007 - %02:%Sep; edited 1 time in total
nThatch

Post   Posted: Sep 20, 2007 - 02:00 Reply with quote Back to top

Would be a nice idea to get games faster. In my opinion it must be in another separate group then. As I feel ranked is perfect right now (though i would love a lrb5 client)
Could call the new league after me ;D
bartgoon

Post   Posted: Sep 20, 2007 - 02:04 Reply with quote Back to top

nThatch - Or you could call it the Sillysod Blackbox League Smile. It wasn't a suggestion for a new league, just a optional mdification for ranked. Closer to the 'draw' concept without slowing anything down.

JanMatthys - not too unlike it is now?
pythrr

Post   Posted: Sep 20, 2007 - 02:36 Reply with quote Back to top

Yeah, we could call the new blackbox division "Suicide", or "The Meatgrinder"....

Post   Posted: Sep 20, 2007 - 02:38 Reply with quote Back to top

Some teams find it very difficult to get games. Handled properly, this sort of thing might be nice.

If it were in the form suggested above, though, I couldn't support it at all. Forty TS, the current legal limits for challenges, is just too high to produce good games most of the time. Maybe if there were some sliding scale, say, no more than 5-8% of your own teams TS difference, that might work, or maybe a scale that started there and expanded over time spent without a match.

Also, I think it would cut down DRAMATICALLY on games played if it were the only way to get matches.

I would, on the other hand, like to see it as a feature for ranked. Not a replacement for open challenges, but a sort of ooh, let's open it and see what we get feature.
Laviak

Post   Posted: Sep 20, 2007 - 03:04 Reply with quote Back to top

Find me a [L] group with enough coaches wanting to use it, and I'll get something going. I'd go with the SWL fringe, but there aren't really enough matches being played there at the moment.

All it really requires is an IRC bot to handle 'lfg' requests and criteria for which a matchup is considered 'fair'. I wrote a bot some time ago to do this, but it only handles very basic acceptance criteria (+/- 10 TS).

PS: You don't need Christer to be involved in developing such a system - anyone can do it, but you do need coaches that really want to use it.

SillySod

Post   Posted: Sep 20, 2007 - 03:08 Reply with quote Back to top

Just create your own group, don't use an existing one, call it the blackbox group

Edit: Laviac had the idea, I just repeated it...

"There are those to whom knowledge is a shield. There are those to whom it is a weapon. Neither view is balanced."

Last edited by SillySod on %b %20, %2007 - %03:%Sep; edited 1 time in total
bartgoon

Post   Posted: Sep 20, 2007 - 03:10 Reply with quote Back to top

Runreallyfast: Yup, exactly - a 'let's see what we get' feature: You get to have a subset of users 'avoid cherries, autopick' and 'I want it fast', and random reactions we can't forsee in such a vigourous system Smile

Sillysod - I had the idea, but not the technical nous to run such a system or group.
Pirog

Post   Posted: Sep 20, 2007 - 08:38 Reply with quote Back to top

As long as it's optional I don't see the harm with it.

Personally I wouldn't use it. Not because I'm a coward but because I enjoy even matches and TR isn't always a good instrument for that.

And I get my fair share of mismatched challenges from the League tournaments anyway Smile
Zombie69

Post   Posted: Sep 20, 2007 - 08:56 Reply with quote Back to top

I could see how it might work in ranked, if it can only force a game between 2 users who picked that option. Otherwise, you'll have way too many unhappy people. But i like it, it's a good idea.
runreallyfast

Post   Posted: Sep 20, 2007 - 13:26 Reply with quote Back to top

Or, wait, maybe better yet, someone could chunk together a formula based on expected racial win percentage against various races AND expected win percentage based on CR and modify the TS of the teams in a match-up the box was considering - and then limit it to +/- 5%

I think it is probably fair to get a CR180 coach to play up 20 TS against a CR140 coach. Not that those are necessarily the 50/50 win percentage numbers, I don't feel like working that out and of course it would vary with the TS anyway, but you know what I mean. Alternately, an even TS match-up, goblins against dwarves, would be fine.

Basically if it were implemented (which I do not expect), I would like it to try as hard as it can to pick games that are even, and these are the factors which FUMBBL considers now.
 Jump to: