43 coaches online • Server time: 17:03
Forum Chat
Recent Forum Topics goto Post Finishing the 60 Gam...goto Post Borg Invasiongoto Post GIF Guide
SearchSearch 
View previous topic Log in to check your private messages View next topic
Undrafted

Post 22 Posted: Jun 21, 2008 - 19:56 Reply with quote Back to top

I can't spectate matches. The chat-window in the program tells me that it "Could not connect to server". Strange, since it works perfectly fine to play matches Confused

Annoys me a bit, since I'm something of a noob and playing bad lately, so I think some spectating could really aid my game.

Any suggestions as to what is wrong, and/or what can be done to fix it.
pac

Post   Posted: Jun 21, 2008 - 20:04 Reply with quote Back to top

Have you set up a name for yourself in the client?

Games played on a proxy now require spectators to have a name set to join. I've never tested what the error message is if you don't have one, but that could be it.

To set a name, open up the options.nfo file in your JavaBB directory with a text editor (not Word! Something that will save it as plain text) and add the line:

spectatorname=BowlFox

That might do it. Smile
shadow46x2

Post   Posted: Jun 21, 2008 - 20:08 Reply with quote Back to top

i thought that change was only for actually chatting?...

unless it's changed again recently, i was pretty sure that you can connect anonymously, you just couldn't chat...

could just be bad luck on spectating matches....i run across matches from time to time that i can't spectate either...could be the host has the last version that had the default spectator limit at 1, instead of 100 or something crazy like it is now....if that's the case, no go if someone's already spectating...

keep trying a few other games and see if it's all of them or just one or two

--j

ImageImage
wackogenius

Post   Posted: Jun 21, 2008 - 20:10 Reply with quote Back to top

pac wrote:
Have you set up a name for yourself in the client?

Games played on a proxy now require spectators to have a name set to join. I've never tested what the error message is if you don't have one, but that could be it.

To set a name, open up the options.nfo file in your JavaBB directory with a text editor (not Word! Something that will save it as plain text) and add the line:

spectatorname=BowlFox

That might do it. Smile

unfortunately that wont do it, when mine had that issue it let you connect and then every time i tried to say something it simply told me i couldnt send messages as a spec unless id set my spec name, if it says could not connect to server i think theres something else wrong

Post   Posted: Jun 21, 2008 - 20:12 Reply with quote Back to top

I recently connected to a game and was informed that the spectator limit was reached, so that can't be it.

However, someone claimed - and it made sense to me - that when two people try to connect at the same time, neither one can join the game. Makes sense, as I am mostly having connection issues (usually works after a few tries) on high spectator cup matches.
Undrafted

Post   Posted: Jun 21, 2008 - 20:25 Reply with quote Back to top

Did what pac suggested, and then tried a different match.

Got a different error this time:

proxy.fumbbl.com/217.210.64.40

Spectator trying connection...

Socket[addr=proxy.fumbbl.com/217.210.64.40,port=8082,localport=50774]
Downloading team1...

Closing local sockets.
Ike

Post   Posted: Jun 23, 2008 - 04:02 Reply with quote Back to top

Perhaps someone's client is set to disallow spectators??