35 coaches online • Server time: 13:37
Forum Chat
Recent Forum Topics goto Post TSC Draftgoto Post 4,000TV!goto Post IBA Draft League
SearchSearch 
View previous topic Log in to check your private messages View next topic
Nexus_Six

Post   Posted: Dec 06, 2008 - 13:53 Reply with quote Back to top

I got this idea when reading Arw's blog found at http://fumbbl.com/FUMBBL.php?page=blog&coach=39395. I thought he bought up a good point regarding trash talk.

Sure swearing and directly insulting language should be kept out but a bit of gamesman ship is sometimes lacking.

Its great to say "Grats" after a touch down but its just stupid that some players expect ( and i guess feel they need to ) appologise after killing a player.

What would be cool would be to select your coaches "personaliy" or "disposition" when you sign up.
The personality gives other players an indication of how far to take it with thier opponent.
It wouldnt be set up to alienate people or stop interaction just to allow people to know how far they can take thier insults !
An example would be this :

(C)asual player - these guys dont want the insults and fancy the odd game of BB in quiet

(R)ole player - these guys love the fluff and the in game role play banter. Give them all the role play insults you want

(G)amesman - This guy loves the insults and loves the banter. He will laugh when your guy dies, he will sneer when you GFI fail. Play him and interact at your own risk but dont expect him to talk and maybe even play friendly.
shadow46x2

Post   Posted: Dec 06, 2008 - 14:04 Reply with quote Back to top

or...you know...

you could take part in the community, and get to know people outside of the java client...

it's astonishing how easily you can peg someone's play style from just talking to them in irc...

--j

ImageImage
Purplegoo

Post   Posted: Dec 06, 2008 - 14:08 Reply with quote Back to top

Shadow = G. Very Happy
Reisender

Post   Posted: Dec 06, 2008 - 14:09 Reply with quote Back to top

shadow is angry that your archetypes dont incluse the....

(T)roll

while many will miss the

(W)hiner

(C)ensored

(C)ensored

(C)ensored

kind of guys

more seriously: i strongly doubt that this kind of label will help anything. everybody still has the possibility to write sth in his profile (like i am a turn 16 fouling staller that takes 4 min a turn)
Emphasy

Post   Posted: Dec 06, 2008 - 14:17 Reply with quote Back to top

Can't talk on others behalf, but my ingame attitude varies a lot depending on mood, amount of beers consumed etc... So a guideline to how I am would be anything from both ends of the scale:)
Nexus_Six

Post   Posted: Dec 06, 2008 - 14:19 Reply with quote Back to top

shadow46x2 wrote:
or...you know...

you could take part in the community, and get to know people outside of the java client...

it's astonishing how easily you can peg someone's play style from just talking to them in irc...

--j

Thats the point you miss though isnt it shadow.
Some people dont want to take part in the community based in the java chat or simply dont want to make friends online.
In your opinion should activity on the java client be crucial to participation on blood bowl ?

Besides if you bothered to read mate, you would have seen this post has nothing to do with play style. That wasnt the idea, it was all about "Talk style"
shadow46x2

Post   Posted: Dec 06, 2008 - 14:24 Reply with quote Back to top

as it pertains to talk style...

...if you participated in the community, you'd find it even easier to determine someone's "talk style"....

and, no, participation in irc shouldn't be a requirement....

but then again, neither should this silly idea...

--j

ImageImage
PurpleChest

Post   Posted: Dec 06, 2008 - 14:28
FUMBBL Staff
Reply with quote Back to top

I find myself agreeing with shadow46x2.

So im going to go out to the football and see if i can find myself somewhere else.

Post   Posted: Dec 06, 2008 - 14:29 Reply with quote Back to top

LOL shadow, i do participate in the community.
Ive just recently had my name changed and to be honest interacting with certain people Wink is one of the things that makes me want to distance myself from the community.

For example : when you put up an idea you think would benifit the community and you get shot down by an egocentric.

Its all good i find it daily in my job.
People who have been in my career for 10 + years dont like "n00bs" comming in with fresh ideas which benifit the career and make life easier.
But i guess thats why ive made more career progress in 12 months than most have made in 3-4 years.

Out of context but think before you flap your gills, i know the concept is hard for you.
torsoboy

Post   Posted: Dec 06, 2008 - 14:55 Reply with quote Back to top

Hm, you remind me of someone who also posted a while ago.

Post   Posted: Dec 06, 2008 - 15:02 Reply with quote Back to top

Nexus_Six wrote:
I got this idea when reading Arw's blog found at http://fumbbl.com/FUMBBL.php?page=blog&coach=39395. I thought he bought up a good point regarding trash talk.

Sure swearing and directly insulting language should be kept out but a bit of gamesman ship is sometimes lacking.

Its great to say "Grats" after a touch down but its just stupid that some players expect ( and i guess feel they need to ) appologise after killing a player.

What would be cool would be to select your coaches "personaliy" or "disposition" when you sign up.
The personality gives other players an indication of how far to take it with thier opponent.
It wouldnt be set up to alienate people or stop interaction just to allow people to know how far they can take thier insults !
An example would be this :

(C)asual player - these guys dont want the insults and fancy the odd game of BB in quiet

(R)ole player - these guys love the fluff and the in game role play banter. Give them all the role play insults you want

(G)amesman - This guy loves the insults and loves the banter. He will laugh when your guy dies, he will sneer when you GFI fail. Play him and interact at your own risk but dont expect him to talk and maybe even play friendly.

TBH i don't think this is a great idea.
Firstly im against anything which risks fragmenting the comunity more than it all ready is on principle, especially if it was something which ended up being enforced on all coaches.
On a personal level i've found telling everyone how i like to play the game has helped ensure i have a high consistency of fun matches and if i was into the whole "smack-talk" thing i'd probably do the same but i wouldn't want to see everyone else being forced to do something just because i did it.

As emphasey has already said people have different moods on different days. Supose you deliberately choose to play a (C) guy and because he'd had an awfull day at work he was moody and did some smack-talk. Normaly you'd just ignore it or maybe blacklist the guy and move on. If such a system was in play you'd probably feel almost cheated by his behaviour.

I wonder how long it'd take some coaches to call themselves (c) and then talk smack at eery opponent just to upset the for a laugh. I'm beting there are some people out there that would do this.

A smack-talk tourney might be a fun thing to organise if its something that appeals to you though

Post   Posted: Dec 06, 2008 - 16:37 Reply with quote Back to top

Why do you want to limit us to a few pigeon-holed labels?

We all have an extensive personal bio that lets us explain the type of person we are and the games we enjoy, you can write as little or as much information in it as you want (though i think someone found out that there is a character limit eventually).

Everyone can see this bio so you can check out potetial opponents before you offer them a game and give some forewarning as to the type of person you are.

If that's not enough every team and in fact every player in those teams have their own bios, so you can have Casual, trashtalking or roleplaying teams and even players if you so desire.

Post   Posted: Dec 06, 2008 - 17:34 Reply with quote Back to top

Nexus_Six wrote:
LOL shadow, i do participate in the community.
Ive just recently had my name changed and to be honest interacting with certain people Wink is one of the things that makes me want to distance myself from the community.

For example : when you put up an idea you think would benifit the community and you get shot down by an egocentric.

I'm getting dizzy! Confused

----

As for your suggestion, I don't like it.

My playing style depends a lot on who my opponent is. If they are overly competitive I play competitive, if they are casual I play casual etc. Personally I like casual games more then the others... it's usually a more relaxed atmosphere and leads to more laughter.

Trash talking people you've never played before isn't my thing... so I tend to avoid it, unless I've talked to them IRC before and know what is an ok level. As it happens I'm not big on smack-talk. I'd rather laugh with my opponent then anything else (although some people do seem to go out of their way to make this damn near impossible to do).

This idea does feel a lot like you just don't want to be bothered with the whole getting to know people in the community.

Labeling people = Bad, because people aren't that simple.

Post   Posted: Dec 06, 2008 - 18:29 Reply with quote Back to top

Nexus_Six wrote:

Jan Mattys got shot down by egocentrics.

Actually that's not quite true. He got impaled on the pikes of people employed by egocentrics. Assuming you believe that the bishops were egocentric. Which Jan Mattys certainly did.

Jan Mattys wanted to do things that benefited the community too. He knew that if they had more freedom to read and write and make use of Pi, they'd be all the happier. But you can guess what the bishops thought of that. Yes, all he wanted was to make people happy, but that was a dangerous thing to try and do in Amsterdam (and Munster) back then. They just weren't the right kinds of times for happiness.

Even when, battling a hangover, he was celebrating a baptism by handing out pastries, Jan Mattys knew the scale of the battles to come. Yes, he knew the dangers. But he didn't distance himself, and he certainly didn't change his name. Call him Jan and he'd say, 'No, I'm Jan Mattys'. Call him Mr Mattys and he'd say, 'No, just Jan Mattys'. So that's what we called him, right up to the day the bishops got to him.
Shrap

Post   Posted: Dec 06, 2008 - 23:19 Reply with quote Back to top

[quote="Mr_Foulscumm
Labeling people = Bad, because people aren't that simple.[/quote]

In Soviet Russian people labels themselves!
 Jump to: