24 coaches online • Server time: 07:29
Forum Chat
Recent Forum Topics goto Post Borg Invasiongoto Post Finishing the 60 Gam...goto Post GIF Guide
SearchSearch 
View previous topic Log in to check your private messages View next topic
Grim04

Post   Posted: Dec 10, 2008 - 04:48 Reply with quote Back to top

http://fumbbl.com/FUMBBL.php?page=team&op=view&team_id=209835

So, how do they look so far?

Sucks about the niggling injury and next game I'm going to try go get another Gutter Runner if I can get enough money.
Kryten

Post   Posted: Dec 10, 2008 - 06:09
FUMBBL Staff
Reply with quote Back to top

Fire the niggled gutter runner, and learn to score with your linerats. Your team will be badly unbalanced if you don't spread the ball around a bit.
Ansbach

Post   Posted: Dec 10, 2008 - 07:05 Reply with quote Back to top

Hi Grim04,

Kryten is right - you are actually in a lot of trouble from a team development standpoint.

You need to fire Splinter, your double-niggled gutter runner. He will cause you to get "even" match ups against teams that are actually better than you because of how TR/TS works. The first time he no-shows (30% chance) the other team has a 104K advantage over you.

You really want to spread your SPPs around when you develop your teams (i.e. score with your linerats). You've frontloaded your team, which means you have sacrificed your long-term development to win your first few games easier. Your gutter runner is a great example of one of the reasons why that is a bad idea.

Two things to think about here:

1.) You have gained 102 SPPs as a team and so with the niggled gutter runner you have basically lost 30% of your progress so far with one lost player!

2.) You have only gained 8 skills for those 102 points - that's pretty bad - and you are about to lose 3 of those 8. Look at it this way: if your SPPs were spread evenly among your players you would have 12 additional skills instead of 8. This doesn't sound like a huge difference, but imagine if instead of Splinter having Sure Feet, all five of your linerats had Block! Shocked Not only would the extra 4 skills make you a much better team overall, losing Splinter would only drop you down from 12 to 11 additional skills. Of course you can't balance perfectly but you get the idea.

If you weren't to follow this advice you would find your games getting tougher and tougher until you had little chance of winning any more - and it would be too late to try to balance your team by skilling up unskilled players because your opponents are too tough.

Check out this article and the strategy articles about Skaven under the Help section:
http://fumbbl.com/help:Team+Advancement

Hope that helps!

Last edited by Ansbach on %b %10, %2008 - %07:%Dec; edited 3 times in total
Grim04

Post   Posted: Dec 10, 2008 - 07:17 Reply with quote Back to top

Well I try to even out my TDs between my 3 gutters and several times between my linemen... it just happens that my niggling injured gutter is always there to score.
Ansbach

Post   Posted: Dec 10, 2008 - 07:28 Reply with quote Back to top

A couple of related exerpts:
Quote:

Linerats with skills greatly improve your game play, especially Kick, Leader and Block. If you have Linerats with 5 SPPs don't place them on the LOS and try to make a quick pass to give them their first skill. Also try to develop your Gutter Runners in pairs. One of each type is never enough. Also try to evenly skill-up your Gutter Runners. It's no good to have 2 Gutter Runners with 1 Skill and one with 5 Skills. Imagine how your team will perform when that AV7 star gets injured or dies? Furthermore, on the very long term (25+ matches) your Gutter Runners won't improve any further or even fade away due to aging. Build up you Gutter Runners in waves (for example if you have two 3-4 Skill Gutter Runners, try pushing two rookies as well).
It's essential to score with your Storm Vermins and Linerats as well from time to time. Your aim should be not to lose automatically when your Gutter Runners aren't on the pitch, so do not focus on your Gutter Runners only. That will improve your overall play, make you more flexible and giving your opponent a hard time guessing your game moves.

Quote:
Distribute your SPPs! 60 SPPs piled onto one single star player gets you 4 skills. That's pretty good, unless that one player gets hit with a rock or fouled into oblivion. Those same 60 SPPs spread over 10 players will give you 10 skills and make your team stronger as a whole. Whenever you have a choice in the matter, look at which player you're going to use to score and try to get someone into position who will benefit most from the SPPs. Try to set up last game's rookie MVP to make an easy completion for his first skill. Don't throw the game trying to micro-manage them but keep it in mind.
Ullakkomorko

Post   Posted: Dec 10, 2008 - 10:15 Reply with quote Back to top

Grim04 wrote:
Well I try to even out my TDs between my 3 gutters and several times between my linemen... it just happens that my niggling injured gutter is always there to score.

Firing him will help a lot with this problem. Wink

Block on the GR's is a wonderful skill as well and a good first skill as it keeps them both alive and on their feet.

I was of the opinion quite recently too that the linerats were just fodder and thus giving them skills would not be worthwhile. I've come around recently. Even Block on a linerat is excellent for knocking down the los as the Skaven team does lack reliable blockers, and even one double (claw) on a linerat will be a great addition to the team bashy wise, as it doesn't make much sense to give GR's bashing mutations. GR's aren't good because of ST2 and Rat Ogres will just fail. Finally, who are you going to give DP to, if not a linerat?
Grim04

Post   Posted: Dec 11, 2008 - 07:12 Reply with quote Back to top

I found out that I dislike playing Skaven in a non-tournament setting. The gutter runners are going to eventually top out.

Skavens are a fun team, but I can see myself getting very bored of them after 3 or more games, going to try another team soon...

Also, I dislike fouling... it ruins the game for the non-bashy teams really.
pythrr

Post   Posted: Dec 11, 2008 - 07:23 Reply with quote Back to top

no way - rats rock - they are such a challenge, especially in B

Post   Posted: Dec 11, 2008 - 09:12 Reply with quote Back to top

Grim04 wrote:
Skavens are a fun team, but I can see myself getting very bored of them after 3 or more games, going to try another team soon...

Buying a rat ogre will add a lot of excitement to any Skaven team. The downside is that the excitement could be of the wrong kind, such as "Ooh! Hadn't planned on him doing this now."
odi

Post   Posted: Dec 11, 2008 - 09:40 Reply with quote Back to top

Grim04 wrote:

Also, I dislike fouling... it ruins the game for the non-bashy teams really.

Just the opposite, skaven thrive on fouling. Cheap 50k linoes with DP taking out the oppo's most dangerous players... In my mind, the less your AV is the more you gain from fouling...
Grim04

Post   Posted: Dec 13, 2008 - 03:09 Reply with quote Back to top

Not when someone fouls your Gutter Runner and gives them a niggling injury...
 Jump to: