11 coaches online • Server time: 03:54
Forum Chat
Recent Forum Topics goto Post Making Assassins mor...goto Post New Team Page Betagoto Post ramchop takes on the...
SearchSearch 
View previous topic Log in to check your private messages View next topic
WhatBall

Post   Posted: Jan 11, 2011 - 17:29 Reply with quote Back to top

Ok, might be a crazy and unpopular idea, but here goes.

For FFB in the Box, the Flings and Gobbos may have a tough time (tougher than usual) at even strength in a best fit scenario unless there is something tricky about the new match-maker that we don't know about.

What about letting the Flings buy a chef, and the goblins up to 2 bribes, in post match play so they can ensure they have them for a match in Box?

Am I completely out to lunch on this idea? Is that master chef pie I smell cooking affecting my reasoning?
freak_in_a_frock

Post   Posted: Jan 11, 2011 - 17:32 Reply with quote Back to top

Interesting idea, but probably not really conducive with the site following the FFB rules closely. Maybe a better solution would be for the Box Bot to try and match flings and gobbos at least 100 TV down vs other races.
blocknroll

Post   Posted: Jan 11, 2011 - 17:35 Reply with quote Back to top

although of course the CRP rule specifically allow all teams to transfer cash from their treasury to petty cash in the pre-game sequence to purchase inducements.
Macavity

Post   Posted: Jan 11, 2011 - 17:42 Reply with quote Back to top

Totally un-necessary. With the awesome things available as inducements, going up isn't an issue, and once all the secret weapons are working, a smart coach will toast the competition with goblins (my only planned BB team atm). Halflings will need to have bought their own RR up to a good number, and outnumber the opponent as they were meant to.

Post   Posted: Jan 11, 2011 - 17:56 Reply with quote Back to top

Its a good point, as it stands (if I'm right in my thinking) the team with the higher TV can never hire a star or buy a bribe with money it has in treasury, etc. Sometimes a stronger dwarf team may still want a bribe to keep the deathroller on, or a vampire team may wish to hire that Count Von Count guy from Sesame Street etc etc. The sequence in the rulebook states that the team with the higher TV declares first how much it wishes to spend, then the lower TV declares, that could be coded in to the inducements stage in the game? The higher TV guy gets an option to spend, that then affects how much the lower TV team gets and allows that coach to supplement the difference in a beneficial way
It also allows for a game with say a 40TV difference for the lower TV team to say add 20k from treasury to afford Boomer or suchlike. That seems to be the intention of the rule and sequence.
WhatBall

Post   Posted: Jan 11, 2011 - 18:00 Reply with quote Back to top

Macavity wrote:
Totally un-necessary. With the awesome things available as inducements, going up isn't an issue, and once all the secret weapons are working, a smart coach will toast the competition with goblins (my only planned BB team atm). Halflings will need to have bought their own RR up to a good number, and outnumber the opponent as they were meant to.

The inducements are great Mac, but what I am saying is your Halfling team may always get matched up at the same TV as other teams in Box and never get to buy the chef, Deeproot, etc, that it needs to play half decent. Same with Goblins.

Edit. I should clarify. I said 'buy' before, I meant select, having it added to their TV for the matchmaking. Sort of a pre-inducement.
blocknroll

Post   Posted: Jan 11, 2011 - 18:04 Reply with quote Back to top

The pre-inducment is not needed if the actual pre-game sequence can be implemented. I think it would have the same affect - ie you get to buy your bribes and chef.
Another example where this would be something we'd usually see a lot is a slightly stronger team still wishing to use cash it has to hire a wizzard in certain games, etc
koadah

Post   Posted: Jan 11, 2011 - 18:04 Reply with quote Back to top

blocknroll wrote:
although of course the CRP rule specifically allow all teams to transfer cash from their treasury to petty cash in the pre-game sequence to purchase inducements.

Problem is if they save their cash to buy inducements their TV could be so low that they never get matched for a game.

It probaly needs a tweak to the scheduler to favour playing vs higher TV opponents. Assuming that it is matching by TV only.

Post   Posted: Jan 11, 2011 - 18:08 Reply with quote Back to top

Thats a good point koadah and one that would need looking at.
Garion

Post   Posted: Jan 11, 2011 - 18:09 Reply with quote Back to top

koadah wrote:
blocknroll wrote:

Problem is if they save their cash to buy inducements their TV could be so low that they never get matched for a game.

It probaly needs a tweak to the scheduler to favour playing vs higher TV opponents. Assuming that it is matching by TV only.

I agree, the teams and rules were made with league play in mind in which gobos and flings iwll always be able to induce a fair amount. This doesnt work on fumbbl and since flings no longer get a chef for 20 k they need inducements to compete really. So maybe those two teams should always be schedules against teams with a TV X amount higher.

Post   Posted: Jan 11, 2011 - 18:22 Reply with quote Back to top

Well, i know they benefit from inducements. But always playing up in TV isn't that great imo :p

I say let them compete on same terms as everyone else, but insert some randomized TV gap possible between teams each draw. This would allow them to use inducements in 50% of their games i guess :p
Macavity

Post   Posted: Jan 11, 2011 - 18:51 Reply with quote Back to top

I think anyone playing with flings in the box knows they will have it tough. Goblins don't have an issue, imo.

Post   Posted: Jan 11, 2011 - 18:53 Reply with quote Back to top

What about a specific setting for each box team for your preferred opponent TV difference? It would only apply to playing UP in TV and not down (since inducements are a bit less effective in many cases than an equal amount of TV). The Box scheduler could then consider your TV to be (TV + X), where X is the setting you picked.

Author of Firehurler (Twinborn Trilogy Book #1), Aethersmith (Book #2), Sourcethief (Book #3)
pythrr

Post   Posted: Jan 11, 2011 - 19:04 Reply with quote Back to top

we dont know how/if the match up system will be changed in the new B yet.

let's wait to see what C has in mind before seeking to modify the system

the inducement system may allow for greater variance between the teams that are matched up.

Post   Posted: Jan 11, 2011 - 19:24 Reply with quote Back to top

On1 wrote:
Well, i know they benefit from inducements. But always playing up in TV isn't that great imo :p

I say let them compete on same terms as everyone else, but insert some randomized TV gap possible between teams each draw. This would allow them to use inducements in 50% of their games i guess :p

Heh heh.

Have some activations matched by TV and some totally random. Twisted Evil

Jump to: