22 coaches online • Server time: 02:13
Forum Chat
Recent Forum Topics goto Post Finishing the 60 Gam...goto Post ramchop takes on the...goto Post Borg Invasion
SearchSearch 
View previous topic Log in to check your private messages View next topic
Lakrillo

Post   Posted: Feb 21, 2011 - 09:06 Reply with quote Back to top

As many of you have noticed by now, the 0.7.1 release did not go exactly as planned.
I saw some frustration in the chat about that we didn't test things properly before release and so on, and wanted to shed some light on what was happening.

One of the bigger changes in 0.7.1 was that the way the server-software communicated with Fumbbl was rewritten. previously the communication had been the same as all other communication from the server to the clients, but this resulted in some unwanted latency. As soon as a command was sent to the server, like a login or a match upload, the server waited for that reply before doing the next connection.
This resulted in that everyone was lagging just a tiny bit at that exact moment. When the amount of matches increased and games was finished at the same time with lots of uploads, the server got laggy and in some cases the uploads failed as they timed out. This resulted in corrupt matches that had to be abandoned, as soon as the players tried to log into them again, they crashed the server one more time as the server thought that the game was done.

Clearly, this had to be fixed and Kalimar spent a lot of time to move all fumbbl-connections to their own place.

This was tested and worked locally in our test-environments, we even pulled info from fumbbl and managed to upload games from our local server with a connection to fumbbl. However everything could not be tested locally unless we had a complete mirror of the fumbbl setup, which we hadn't. So we decided to go live with it as it was the only way to get answers if it worked or not.

There are currently two things that are bugging.
- All SPPs for players show up as 0 when playing. This is just a visual things, all skills are there and the right amount of SPP is on the player after the game on the site. So no huge thing.
- Whenever someone tries to run a replay, it crashes the server. This is happening if you spectate and go to replay mode too and this is the reason that spectator mode is disabled.

Since we disabled spectator mode, the server have run stabile.

We hope to find the cause of these issues and fix them as soon as we can.
shadow46x2

Post   Posted: Feb 21, 2011 - 09:27 Reply with quote Back to top

perfect example of how a test environment cannot 100% replicate a live environment, and how any deployment can have issues, no matter how thoroughly the testing has gone..

sorry to hear that some unexpected issues went south so quickly...i hope the bugfixing goes quickly and we're able to get back to a stable environment quickly...

thanks for all the work lakrillo, kalimar, christer!

--j

ImageImage
f_alk

Post   Posted: Feb 21, 2011 - 09:31 Reply with quote Back to top

Only people who never worked in R&D would expect things to work instantly.
Take the time you need, and if people complain that it takes too long, tell them they should complain to me and let you do your work in peace.
studmandudebro

Post   Posted: Feb 21, 2011 - 09:47 Reply with quote Back to top

nerds always be spergin bro dont worry we know you be ownin

nattys on me tonights Very Happy
Kryten

Post   Posted: Feb 21, 2011 - 10:17
FUMBBL Staff
Reply with quote Back to top

f_alk wrote:
Only people who never worked in R&D would expect things to work instantly.
Take the time you need, and if people complain that it takes too long, tell them they should complain to me and let you do your work in peace.

+1 on that, I'm happy to listen to any complaints.
maznaz

Post   Posted: Feb 21, 2011 - 10:26 Reply with quote Back to top

Even if it went smoothly some people would have complained that they preferred the old bugs.

I was surprised to have to point out on IRC to someone that when people volunteer their free time to work on something it's a little contradictory to expect them to do so during normal working hours.

I think the idiomatic expression here is "Haters gonna hate" or something.

Thank you all for your efforts.
Pulpo_Fiction

Post   Posted: Feb 21, 2011 - 10:31 Reply with quote Back to top

Is there any way to keep on using F division as a test one for the next releases? Testing it not localy could help to prevent some problems... I humbly offer my self to help testing with [F] teams. Just PM me and tell me what to do. I guess that many other people will be disposed to do it too.

Thx 4 ur work, I really enjoy the new client
Lakrillo

Post   Posted: Feb 21, 2011 - 10:36 Reply with quote Back to top

Pulpo_Fiction wrote:
Is there any way to keep on using F division as a test one for the next releases? Testing it not localy could help to prevent some problems... I humbly offer my self to help testing with [F] teams. Just PM me and tell me what to do. I guess that many other people will be disposed to do it too.

Thx 4 ur work, I really enjoy the new client

Problem is that the live client and [F] is running on the same server. So we would have to sort out a way to have dual servers running at the same time with different versions and different databases. It is something we have thought of, but the amount of work to set it up have made us stay away from it and concentrated on getting other stuff done instead.
TheCount

Post   Posted: Feb 21, 2011 - 10:49 Reply with quote Back to top

You are doing a great job and it is a task for the community to test the client in live mode. No one should expect everything is working from the start.
ultwe

Post   Posted: Feb 21, 2011 - 12:00 Reply with quote Back to top

I'm afraid that as a member of the dev team, it is part of your duty to listen to the moans of the users. It is also your right to completly disregard said moans, and carry on working as and when you can, to deliver improvements to what remains the best BB software available on the net

Smile

If peeps are not happy with you guys' work, they can always use Cyanide, or develop their own system....

π is aproximately 3.142 times better than any other food
Mr_Foulscumm

Post   Posted: Feb 21, 2011 - 12:03 Reply with quote Back to top

studman wrote:
nerds always be spergin bro dont worry we know you be ownin

nattys on me tonights Very Happy

Word!

Post   Posted: Feb 21, 2011 - 12:04 Reply with quote Back to top

I wasn't out fishing for compliments with this, i just wanted to give some understanding, as if i was a player would like to have some information what was going on.

I hava a firm belief that 0.7.1 will be the best FFB version to date with some important bugfixes and the said latency fix, we just need to get the replay thing sorted. We already have the 0 SPP thing fixed locally.
Christer

Post   Posted: Feb 21, 2011 - 12:13
FUMBBL Staff
Reply with quote Back to top

Also, we are going to set up a proper test environment on the live servers and most likely have a small closed QA team to test things. But as Lakrillo said, this is a fair bit of work to set up to work properly.
JimmyFantastic

Post   Posted: Feb 21, 2011 - 12:14 Reply with quote Back to top

Thanks boys ignore the haters cos haters gonna hat

Post   Posted: Feb 21, 2011 - 12:15 Reply with quote Back to top

jimmyfantastic wrote:
Thanks boys ignore the haters cos haters gonna hat

Are we talking all kinds of hats?