18 coaches online • Server time: 04:17
Forum Chat
Recent Forum Topics goto Post Finishing the 60 Gam...goto Post Borg Invasiongoto Post GIF Guide
SearchSearch 
View previous topic Log in to check your private messages View next topic
black_devil_laughing

Post   Posted: Apr 10, 2011 - 05:14 Reply with quote Back to top

Well, after some chatting with players, I've concluded that there is a lot of hate floating out there against my favorite team (heck, favorite fantasy race) and I've been wondering why people have that much hate towards them?
pythrr

Post   Posted: Apr 10, 2011 - 05:16 Reply with quote Back to top

ya think?

Post   Posted: Apr 10, 2011 - 05:24 Reply with quote Back to top

Most of their team starts with block/tackle, and they have mass Av9 + thickskull. Combine that with cheap RRs, the most boring ground game ever, and the ability to throw tons of 1d blocks with a good %....its just awful.

Basically, they're boring to play against, all develop the same, smell bad, have lame starting rosters, and don't break easily (well they break easier now.)

Don't drop the soap.
BrianVanLe

Post   Posted: Apr 10, 2011 - 05:26 Reply with quote Back to top

And the women make us feel funny.
Igvy

Post   Posted: Apr 10, 2011 - 05:27 Reply with quote Back to top

I prefer the crazy leap/dodge style of play. That is the game I enjoy. You can play it against just about every race appart from dwarves.

Against dwarves you almost have to play the bock/position game. Which I hate. Hence dwarf hate. Not so hard.

They are the only team which forces you to play their game. Instead of your own.
Soranar

Post   Posted: Apr 10, 2011 - 05:30 Reply with quote Back to top

Dwarves, the pure version, have 1 strategy. That's it, they literally cannot do anything else. Sure, you might get lucky and face a coach that decided to get leap on a double , but mostly you'll be facing a cage game at snail pace. Everyone on the other team will have guard while you're still trying to get block.

Then they'll get mighty blow, piling on and diving tackle on a double. Most, if not every, game will end up 2-1. 2-0 if he's lucky.

If you want a really boring game, get a dwarf mirror match. Both coaches just might disconnect in disgust.
maysrill

Post   Posted: Apr 10, 2011 - 05:36 Reply with quote Back to top

As a charter member of the Puzzle Bashers, I heartily approve of dwarfs. Many people aren't comfortable with a game where they are out-bashed and out-positioned. Many people can't win with dwarfs, because they make mistakes, and dwarfs only score when they play solid (or get really good cas luck). Those are the many people who hate dwarfs.

Never let the "boring" argument fool you. Khemri are "boring" too, but are fairly easy to beat, and have skeletons that are easy to beat up. People hate the dwarfs because they are a solid, bashy team that's hard to get cas against, and in many cases they can't replicate other people's success with dwarfs, so rather than join, they hate.

Author of Firehurler (Twinborn Trilogy Book #1), Aethersmith (Book #2), Sourcethief (Book #3)
TTS

Post   Posted: Apr 10, 2011 - 06:06 Reply with quote Back to top

People hate dwarves because they're the most boring thing on god's green earth to play against, not because they're hard to cas. Orcs are harder to cas than Dwarves but are less intolerably boring. People aren't jealous of successful dwarf coaches: I hate playing a dwarf team whether the opponent is good or bad because it's just so mind bogglingly slow and dull. I'm glad you can make up excuses as to why you love them and if you're enjoying yourself then so be it, but don't shove words in people's mouths when they have their own opinions on how fun dwarves are, or lack thereof.
black_devil_laughing

Post   Posted: Apr 10, 2011 - 06:08 Reply with quote Back to top

but with the sheer amount of clawpomb out there, the biggest advantage of dwarves is gone. you don't want to foul the po guy because your lineman are WAY too expensive, and he just starts to chew through your players. I've had 3 deaths in one game because of that, and all you really need to do to beat dwarves is to run faster, which isn't hard to do at all. So where is this boring game that people are complaining about? The only real diffrence between them and other bashy teams is that they don't stall next to the end zone when they get there, because it's like turn 7.
TTS

Post   Posted: Apr 10, 2011 - 06:21 Reply with quote Back to top

Only 4 teams reliably get Clawpomb (Chaos, Nurgle, Underworld, and the yeti on Norse teams are the only ones that do it without doubles) and not everyone plays those, so no, the only advantage hasn't suddenly disappeared. The difference between dwarves and other bashy teams is that they have tons of tackle and therefore instantly crush the more fun gimmick teams (gobbos, underworld, halfers), break elf teams in their formative years if they even try to go dodge, get tons of guard very quickly, making it impossible to expose their cage, and they move slower than any other team across the field besides khemri. Other bashy teams aren't always fun to play against, but dwarves take it to a visceral extreme. Dwarves are specifically worse than any other bashy teams about being slow and boring, and they automatically strip the fun out of the gimmick teams. They're made to destroy these things, and lots of people like these things.

Dwarf teams are not good matchups against well built chaos, nurgle, or chaos dwarf teams, but that still leaves a lot of teams who they perform well against using their one and only boring strategy.
Overhamsteren

Post 14 Posted: Apr 10, 2011 - 06:28 Reply with quote Back to top

TTS speaks the truth! Mr. Green

Sweet Dwarf Death Twisted Evil

Thanks to the BBRC for all the great work you did.

Last edited by Overhamsteren on %b %10, %2011 - %06:%Apr; edited 1 time in total
Azure

Post   Posted: Apr 10, 2011 - 06:29 Reply with quote Back to top

Yeah, I agree with TTS and the others...but will add one thing - the most dreaded of all opponents...

...the dwarf player that takes 4 minute turns!
black_devil_laughing

Post   Posted: Apr 10, 2011 - 06:37 Reply with quote Back to top

haven't played against a whole lot of Dwarves myself, but it seemed that the games took less time than otherwise. and most of my turns end in less than 2 min, mainly because the dice hate me. It probably helps that most of my games have been in [B].
pythrr

Post   Posted: Apr 10, 2011 - 07:02 Reply with quote Back to top

Overhamsteren wrote:
TTS speaks the truth! Mr. Green

Sweet Dwarf Death Twisted Evil

Sorry to be picky, but what death?
Overhamsteren

Post   Posted: Apr 10, 2011 - 07:05 Reply with quote Back to top

You are not sorry Very Happy

Thanks to the BBRC for all the great work you did.
 Jump to: