13 coaches online • Server time: 04:31
Forum Chat
Recent Forum Topics goto Post Making Assassins mor...goto Post New Team Page Betagoto Post ramchop takes on the...
SearchSearch 
View previous topic Log in to check your private messages View next topic
Poll
What´s the best team to play 100% peacefully?
Dark Elves
9%
 9%  [ 4 ]
Slann
43%
 43%  [ 19 ]
Lizardmen
4%
 4%  [ 2 ]
Other (explain)
43%
 43%  [ 19 ]
Total Votes : 44

h0lydiver

Post   Posted: Jun 26, 2012 - 09:05 Reply with quote Back to top

I´ve been wondering (and think it must have been done given the enormous amount of matches) if someone has ever won a game without throwing a single block (or blitz, or foul). Then I started to think about it, and what would it take. Also, which races and teambuilds would be better suited for the task. I might even try to do it, although I´d prefer if some better coach did, but...

After thinking a bit and talking with the peeps in the IRC, some points were quickly stablished, such that non-agile and/or slow teams can never achieve it, for obvious reasons. From the rest of them, it seems that it must be a team that scores really easily, since you can´t blitz your way through anything, etc... And from them, the best seem to be teams that are good at positional defense.

As for skills, anything that makes it harder to get your line trespassed, like blodge, ss, sf, fend, dt... are obvious choices. So my first question is, can you think of skills/combos that would perform specially well in this context besides the obvious?

And about teams, I reached the conclusion that Dark Elves and Slann could be good choices. Dark elves are a solid defensive team, they have ag4 which makes it easier to handle the ball and dodging. They also have easy access to dodge and sidestep. On the bad news, I think it might be hard to score if you can´t blitz to create holes but hey, no one said it was easy!

Slann, on the other hand, are probably the team that suffers the least in attack due to the loss of blocking. They can probably score equally easy. Also, they have 4 blitzers with dt base, and easy access to dodge and ss. Bad news, they need 3´s to get away from people, so it might be really hard to not get outbashed.

Finally, as a debatable option I thought about lizardmen, which seems to be a team that is divided between the 2 types of players you might need for this. Strong, tough saurii to hold the attack, and quick skinks that can score more or less easily, provide tackle zones behind the saurii and easy access to ss/dt combo. Kroxigor also helps with the concept.

So, what do you think? I´m posting a poll so I know what people thinks. It´s different if we speak of an already built team that turns pacifist, or some team specially created for the task, but for the sake of argument I don´t think it changes things.

That´s the challenge, who´s up for it?? Don´t know if it has been made, and if yes, it might be difficult to locate unless the one that did it shows up or someone knows. In any case, I think winning a game even vs a weak opponent will be very hard. Winning several? Now that would be awesome Smile
pythrr

Post   Posted: Jun 26, 2012 - 09:20 Reply with quote Back to top

h0lydiver wrote:
I´ve been wondering (and think it must have been done given the enormous amount of matches) if someone has ever won a game without throwing a single block (or blitz, or foul).

I think the answer would be no.

And if you are going to try it, try it in L. Cos I'm pretty sure such an approach would be illegal (ie: non competitive play) in R or B.

Post   Posted: Jun 26, 2012 - 09:28 Reply with quote Back to top

If playing a passing game with zombies, or fouling for 16 turns and losing 4-0, or making every block in a game be -2d is legal, I can´t see why not blocking would be illegal. Is not passing illegal? Then why would not blocking be? But anyway, that´s a matter I´ll confront if it shows up.
harvestmouse

Post   Posted: Jun 26, 2012 - 09:29 Reply with quote Back to top

A little admin secret here. If you play a game where there are under a certain number of blocks thrown by a team, the game is reported by the system as 'dodgy'.

I generally look into these, now and again they are dodgy but by and large they're Wood Elves or Pro Elves.

Never seen a 0 before, quite often get games around 7 blocks thrown and win.
cowhead

Post   Posted: Jun 26, 2012 - 09:31 Reply with quote Back to top

This Team Peace Not Waaagh!

Post   Posted: Jun 26, 2012 - 10:05 Reply with quote Back to top

I think slann would be really bad for this. The only thing going for them is Diving Tackle on the blitzers. But the blitzers would need Block, Dodge and Side Step to be really useful which is three skills! I don't really see this happening. The slann offence isn't really all that great either.

You should aim to either overpower the other team completely or then blodge, sidestep diving tackle the heck out of them.

Overpowering the other team requires raw strength and Guard. Lizardmen would fit this bill and you could also get some nice side stepping action going on with the skinks. Blodge sidestep is obviously a job for elves.
jarvis_pants

Post   Posted: Jun 26, 2012 - 10:32
FUMBBL Staff
Reply with quote Back to top

Fun thought experiment!

Anyone that is saying things like 'blodge' clearly isnt thinking about the situation, you need people that are going to cause turnovers and take people down on your opponents drive. Wrodge is the way to do this.

Combine this with diving tackle/stand firm or diving tackle/sidestep and things start to look interesting.

I dont have experience with slann but if it was me i would wrodge/dt/ss up all the catchers and leaping them into the cage every turn to try and force turn overs. Then min max the rest of the team keep the rr low and fire the blitzers as soon as you have some skilled catchers.

I really dont think any other team apart from lizards are going to be able to break the line and i cant see lizards turning the ball over much.

My advice... STUNTY

Preferably flings for rr denial... a very good ball turning over technique. Easy access to sidestep/dt, and stunty makes breaking the line easy and TTM can make the line irrelevant.

I guess you could also take gobbos Razz if you were so inclined. Very Happy

Regardless of which team you pick you will need to min/max HARD and pick like a top CR coach getting ready for a MAJOR. Go for ag3, preferable low rr, lack of dodge and would stay away from high move as well. So really just new pact/chaos broken rats/vamps.

Post   Posted: Jun 26, 2012 - 10:35 Reply with quote Back to top

also, leap and leap. one has to be able to score without knocking people out of the way. woodies seem the obvious.

Post   Posted: Jun 26, 2012 - 10:39 Reply with quote Back to top

Just get a natural OTS ag5 leap. And then the rest of the team should be ready for defence. Alternative you need an TTM guy with ag4 or a ma10 sprint skink with ag4.
chaoszwerg2001

Post   Posted: Jun 26, 2012 - 10:51 Reply with quote Back to top

Hi, in my last Rooky Rumble Game i managed to win a Game with only, i guess, 3 Blocks with my only Snotling Team vs Vamps. So if you want to try it i recomend you snotlings with a wiz and a halfling cookbook.
h0lydiver

Post   Posted: Jun 26, 2012 - 11:01 Reply with quote Back to top

Yes, of course I thought about picking like a champ, bottom of the barrel Very Happy Fishing for -150k TV games could be useful too. jarvis_pants bring an interesting point, I couldn´t decide on the matter of spamming wrestle, beneficial or not.

Anyway, I was thinking that some of the options being talked might suffer in the ball recovery department. But then realized you don´t even have to think about stealing the ball in defense. Ok, if some miracle happens, like some snakes and 7 lucky bounces into your prone dude into an empty unguarded square (the good part is this miracles happen often Razz) you just get it.

A slightly different approach would be only truly focusing on 1- scoring in your attack 2- denying his 2 attacks. Catch, you do that without using any kind of aggression.

I´m gonna think about it and then maybe try, would be nice if someone actually tried too, we all get those games from time to time that you think "man, I could beat this guy without blocking at all..." Very Happy

Last edited by h0lydiver on %b %26, %2012 - %11:%Jun; edited 1 time in total
harvestmouse

Post   Posted: Jun 26, 2012 - 11:02 Reply with quote Back to top

chaoszwerg2001 wrote:
Hi, in my last Rooky Rumble Game i managed to win a Game with only, i guess, 3 Blocks with my only Snotling Team vs Vamps. So if you want to try it i recomend you snotlings with a wiz and a halfling cookbook.

6, I remember it coming up. Wink
pythrr

Post   Posted: Jun 26, 2012 - 11:05 Reply with quote Back to top

That is pretty cool.

Post   Posted: Jun 26, 2012 - 11:08 Reply with quote Back to top

@harvestmouse Of course I don´t want to break any rules, and if firmly told not to do it, I´ll keep it as a matter of thought. But I find the idea fun, and after all, like so many fun or experimental teams out there, they would try to win, just in a different/funnier/stranger way.

Besides that, I find it truly awesome to know that there´s games won with such a low number of blocks. I like the feeling of winning using a little number of blocks, when I actually go and check the stats, but have never got near that low. That´s style! Unless it´s some rigged match of course...
harvestmouse

Post   Posted: Jun 26, 2012 - 11:13 Reply with quote Back to top

I don't remember suggesting you were breaking any rules.
 Jump to: