46 coaches online • Server time: 14:51
Forum Chat
Recent Forum Topics goto Post TSC Draftgoto Post 4,000TV!goto Post IBA Draft League
SearchSearch 
View previous topic Log in to check your private messages View next topic
zenken5ten

Post   Posted: Oct 05, 2014 - 08:11 Reply with quote Back to top

I guess this was just a presumption, but I always thought that the whole purpose of the 11-player rule was to prevent coaches from banking money for future player replacements while using journeymen to keep your team at 11 players. My last opponent (who had all available positionals, 8 total players and 200k in the bank) assured me that I was totally off base. Can anyone clarify the intent and scope of the 11-player rule for me?

thx
bghandras

Post   Posted: Oct 05, 2014 - 08:23 Reply with quote Back to top

There is no hard rule I can find, but in practice, I FEEL (again, not fact, but feeling), that it is accepted as long as you have less than about 250k in the bank.

Post   Posted: Oct 05, 2014 - 08:29 Reply with quote Back to top

the rule is whatever an admin wants it to mean.

Post   Posted: Oct 05, 2014 - 08:41 Reply with quote Back to top

Your interpretation of the rule would be cretinous.
BillBrasky

Post   Posted: Oct 05, 2014 - 08:45 Reply with quote Back to top

The rule = 11 for you.

Anything else if daddy says so :p
Lorebass

Post   Posted: Oct 05, 2014 - 08:52
FUMBBL Staff
Reply with quote Back to top

Depending on the circumstance this is not a good thing and may have to be dealt with by admins. You are expected to (within reason) do your best to keep your team loner free. If you have say,,, 200-300+ coin banked, have all available positionals on the team and are using loners instead of linemen because you don't feel like paying for the odd lineman well, thats not good. Anything as blatant as this example there is a link titled "Report As Offensive" which can be used to report teams like this.

Anything less blatant well feel free to come to admin chat before the game gets under way/once it is noticed and talk to us.
JimmyFantastic

Post   Posted: Oct 05, 2014 - 08:55 Reply with quote Back to top

The rule is there to screw over Elves and other fragile races for no apparent reason.
I am all for it!

Post   Posted: Oct 05, 2014 - 09:10 Reply with quote Back to top

I like that rule. There needs to be a risk/reward ratio trade off in the game and without this rule you could metagame lose games with 11 loners and still make money. Elves do perfectly fine with 11 permanent players and the amount of treasury you are allowed to keep before you have to replace loners is more than tolerant.
Fortis

Post   Posted: Oct 05, 2014 - 09:11 Reply with quote Back to top

It's pretty valid to wait until you have enough cash to buy enough linemen to get up to a 12 man roster all at once so that you don't spiral while you're trying to rebuild isn't it? Seems very hard to rebuild an experienced team unless you do it this way.
harvestmouse

Post   Posted: Oct 05, 2014 - 10:23 Reply with quote Back to top

JimmyFantastic wrote:
The rule is there to screw over Elves and other fragile races for no apparent reason.
I am all for it!

Not necessarily true. There was never an exact monetary figure involved or agreed. So we (when I was a staff member, and I have no reason to doubt there's been a change) used to be far more compassionate to say a High Elf team using JMs with cash compared to say......an Undead team. Where the price of positionals and linemen are vastly different.

You won't get an exact figure from the team, as there isn't one. It's case by case. You may even get different rulings with the same cash amount using the same race. If the history is different.

Personally, I think FUMBBL is too lenient on this. It's my pet hate. Journey Men were not meant to be used to stock pile cash for a rainy day. They were meant for protection ON rainy days.

I can understand witholding from buying a lino just because you have the cash, and he's only going to stand on the line anyway. However refusing to buy linos unless you have the money to replace both wardancers, if they get injured. It's against the spirit in my opinion.

Oh and that goes for spending cash or cutting players whilst undermanned.

I thought the OP quit the site anyway?! Heyho the world still turns whatever I guess.
JimmyFantastic

Post   Posted: Oct 05, 2014 - 10:40 Reply with quote Back to top

People playing the game properly should not be a pet hate.
My pet hate is pointless, unclear and randomly enforced house rules.

Post   Posted: Oct 05, 2014 - 10:42 Reply with quote Back to top

Fortis wrote:
It's pretty valid to wait until you have enough cash to buy enough linemen to get up to a 12 man roster all at once so that you don't spiral while you're trying to rebuild isn't it? Seems very hard to rebuild an experienced team unless you do it this way.

Solid play keeps your elves alive. No need to metagame the system.

Also Elves are the sturdiest on a middle high level because they usually pick proctective skills on skill up.

JimmyFantastic wrote:

Mine too. To a degree it applies to all fumbbl rules since the administration has a strict non clarification policy. -Guess what it means and screw yourself pretty much-, But I have come to terms that this rule is very clearly defined although this thread might suggest something different.
harvestmouse

Post   Posted: Oct 05, 2014 - 10:53 Reply with quote Back to top

JimmyFantastic wrote:
People playing the game properly should not be a pet hate.

Properly means use a rule in a way it was not meant to be to be advantageous?

Properly sounds game breaking to me; like min-maxing or abusing an over-powerfully killing combo to the extreme in an environment where games can't be refuse.....hmmmm

Last I heard though was that JF believed that this ruleset is far too suited to Elves.

As with most of these problems, the problem isn't the house rule or JM (to an extent), it's TV.
JimmyFantastic

Post   Posted: Oct 05, 2014 - 10:58 Reply with quote Back to top

People should be allowed to play rules as written or else where do you stop?
Min-maxing is fine - it's playing by the rules.
I do believe that this ruleset is way too suited to Elfs, so while I disagree with the principle of the 11 man rule I enjoy that it nerfs Elfs etc a bit.

Post   Posted: Oct 05, 2014 - 11:36 Reply with quote Back to top

You know that wise man who once said that bit about accepting the things we cannot change? Well there is a great site called Fumbbl and here are the things to be accepted:

1) The Journeymen rule.
2) The no swearing rule.
3) The no cleavage rule.
4) The way these rules are enforced, or (mostly) not.

Most users don't understand, or agree with, any of the above, but are polite and respectful enough to not make a fuss. It's not, after all, a big deal. Smile
 Jump to: