52 coaches online • Server time: 14:05
Forum Chat
Recent Forum Topics goto Post TSC Draftgoto Post 4,000TV!goto Post IBA Draft League
SearchSearch 
View previous topic Log in to check your private messages View next topic
bloodred18

Post   Posted: Nov 17, 2014 - 23:13 Reply with quote Back to top

Hey all,

I'm new around here and I've got a question for veteran undead coaches - what's the optimal amount of ghouls in an undead team? Does it depend on the format? I've been thinking about this since a few months but weirdly enough I haven't seen that discussed in depth anywhere.

I guess four is best to maximize mobility and ball handling; but they're fairly squishy and it's nearly impossible to protect four ghouls.
Two ghouls are easier to protect. You can make a screen of mummies and zombies and put your ghouls and even your wights behind.
The issue is that when you have two ghouls and two wights and one or two get injured or KOd, it means that you only have two players left to handle the ball.
Another issue with having many ghouls is that they inflate TV and prevent you from hiring the Count or taking a wizard.
And the other day I played woodies with only two ghouls - the woodies spread all over the pitch, couldn't really run after them with zombies and mummies, and two ghouls weren't enough, especially as one was stunned the whole time and a wight was missing.

So. Anyone with strong opinions out there? 1,2,3,4 ghouls, what is best?
Garion

Post   Posted: Nov 17, 2014 - 23:25 Reply with quote Back to top

Post   Posted: Nov 17, 2014 - 23:32 Reply with quote Back to top

at mid to high tv you also need to protect your wights to a certain extent.

I would agree that 3 ghouls seems a balanced approach, but with the caveat that they do not all need to be on the pitch for every drive.
Smeat

Post   Posted: Nov 17, 2014 - 23:35 Reply with quote Back to top

1 more than you plan to lose.

3 is good, but 4 gives you a safety buffer against MNG's and bad luck. But they are not cheap, and #'s 3 & esp 4 do start to bloat TV without adding much to the players you can field at any one time. So it depends on how much bash you expect to face, and whether you have substitute mobile sweeper and/or ballcarrier (+Ag, Blodge, etc) who can substitute in a pinch.

Plus, skilling up a replacement is a good idea - they do break rather easily, and no Apo means no safety net.

But, yeah - most (successful) teams seem to make do w/ 3, and tough it out on those (rare?) occasions when that isn't enough.

(...and what exactly do you think they do with all those dead players?...)
MattDakka

Post   Posted: Nov 17, 2014 - 23:42 Reply with quote Back to top

3: 1 ghoul ball carrier, 2 ghouls defending him, for example by forming a side line cage.
PurpleChest

Post   Posted: Nov 18, 2014 - 00:01
FUMBBL Staff
Reply with quote Back to top

As many as you can afford and field. Especially against Dwarves. For their super speed.

(disclaimer:Poster is not an undead coach, who likes facing and eradicating undead with dwarves)

Post   Posted: Nov 18, 2014 - 00:04 Reply with quote Back to top

3 in most situations. Sometimes 4 at high TV or mngs/league etc. 1-2 if extreme min-maxing I guess could be a thing.

Post   Posted: Nov 18, 2014 - 00:10 Reply with quote Back to top

2 Ghouls are too few, you lack speed, while 4 are hard to protect, spread too much the SPPs and raise a lot the TV.
JimmyFantastic

Post   Posted: Nov 18, 2014 - 00:15 Reply with quote Back to top

It's only 30 more TV though Matt. For example if you have a 16 mens squad and are at 2010 TV I would rather have a 4th Ghoul and be 2040 in case of injuries etc.

Post   Posted: Nov 18, 2014 - 00:23 Reply with quote Back to top

JimmyFantastic wrote:
It's only 30 more TV though Matt. If you have a 16 mens squad and are at 2010 TV I would rather have a 4th Ghoul and be 2040 in case of injuries etc.

Agreed, undead have lots of cheap fodder and tend to bloat less than other teams. Plus they need subs for fouling and because their fodder is easy to get off the pitch. You can always limit them to 2-3 on the pitch at one time and ghouls are often harder to take out that skellies or zombies since they can run away.

Ghouls add much needed speed, otherwise the mummies and zombies get tied up themselves or left behind. Undead need mobility at higher TV's since they don't have as much damage potential of other bashy teams.

Post   Posted: Nov 18, 2014 - 00:35 Reply with quote Back to top

JimmyFantastic wrote:
It's only 30 more TV though Matt. For example if you have a 16 mens squad and are at 2010 TV I would rather have a 4th Ghoul and be 2040 in case of injuries etc.

It's not just for TV reason, I want to have 2 fodder players rather than the 4th Ghoul because that way I can screen my 3 skilled Ghouls and have 1 extra Zombie/Skeleton to deploy on LOS, mark opponent killers/ foul.
3 skilled Ghouls (good ball carrier and 2 blodge/wrodge, side steppers) is what you can realistically build in the Box.
You can play with 4 Ghouls but you will find them targeted easily by killers and depitched (at least in high TV games vs Clawpomb).

Last edited by MattDakka on %b %18, %2014 - %00:%Nov; edited 1 time in total
Palorrin

Post   Posted: Nov 18, 2014 - 00:37 Reply with quote Back to top

Starting out with a new or young team, I would recommend 3 ghouls. This allows you to purchase an initial 3 rerolls with a new team and allows a decent number of players to be ball carrier (5 ball handlers with the 2 wights). This should last you until you reach a 1400k -1600k level of team value. At this point, definitely consider adding a fourth ghoul as a "replacement" should one of your ghouls/wights be injured, killed, or knocked out. As ghouls are AV7 and without regen, it can help to keep your team competitive if your have a "backup ghoul" in development should you lose one (an all too frequent occurrence.)

Also, keep in mind what you want your ghouls to do. Skill choices and luck can define the role of your ghouls. Many people seem to have either a standard template for all their ghouls or specific designs. Consider which suits you more. From what I've seen the "standard template" people tend to run just 3 mostly identical ghouls and the "specific design" people tend to have 4 ghouls built around 3 designs. These are safety (wrestle, tackle), ball handler (block, sure hands, sidestep), and two generalists (block, sidestep). In either case though it is rare to field more than 3 ghouls at the same time, as it usually makes it too hard to protect them from most danger.
pythrr

Post   Posted: Nov 18, 2014 - 00:41 Reply with quote Back to top

either 3 or zero

zero can be a decent strategy in [B]], the land of minmaxing and rule-gaming

Post   Posted: Nov 18, 2014 - 00:45 Reply with quote Back to top

dunno, i've always loved to play with 2. one balcarrier, one stripper. at least, til 1600 tv.
JackassRampant

Post   Posted: Nov 18, 2014 - 01:00 Reply with quote Back to top

3 or 4 for me. Optimally 3 in Ranked and other TV-driven formats, 4 in scheduled leagues.