64 coaches online • Server time: 20:44
Forum Chat
Recent Forum Topics goto Post A Guide to Finding G...goto Post Finishing the 60 Gam...goto Post Tentacles and Frenzy
SearchSearch 
View previous topic Log in to check your private messages View next topic
PurpleChest

Post   Posted: Jul 12, 2015 - 11:04
FUMBBL Staff
Reply with quote Back to top

I'll be honest, as a bit of an old hippy, I'd vote against this idea. I think the concept of freedom is more important and should be defended, but...

I was having a think about the perceived problems of R and B.

Specifically after watching yet another death build B team crunch a human team in the box, then the next day listing some R teams, only to be offered to play up 140TV vs a 125+ game amazon team. Amused by the offer I had a look around and guess how many times in 125+ matches they had faced Chaos Dwarf or Dwarf? Your clue is it cannot be written in roman numerals.

And it got me thinking. And this is what i thunk:

Freedom has created cultures in both divisions where people can accede to their worst instincts.

What if they were forced not to.

I have said before it would be nice to merge the divisions. With a smaller player base it might help keep the game alive, doesnt seem to reduce anyones options, while creating more. Some of my R teams would love an occasional roll of the random pairing dice. And not just the killers, I confess freely I also struggle to be brave in my R choices. Luckily for me I play a lot of Tournaments, and hence have the random factor. My 50 game zons have faced Dorfs 5 times.

Maybe having the blackbox option in R would persuade/tempt me to be a bit braver with my elves. Not always, but sometimes. Maybe others would too. Maybe it would also persuade/tempt B coaches to sometimes find a game with someone who wants to play them. And to recover teams, and rebuild.

But maybe it wouldn't, as people can be pretty shabby.

So as well as adding all that choice. Perhaps take some away. Perhaps...

FORCE R teams to activate and play a random game every once in a while, and they never have to feel brave, the site will ensure it.

FORCE B teams to find someone willing to face them every once in a while, so every coach will have to engage with the fact there is a human on the other side, and build a team people will have fun facing.

I present the '1 in 5' LAW.

Join the Divisions, let us game MORE freely, but also force us to game more bravely and more humanely by making us play at least once each way every 5 games.

Post   Posted: Jul 12, 2015 - 11:27 Reply with quote Back to top

Interesting.

I think I feel somewhat the same way re: freedom and the nature of the human animal.
It's a tricky proposition, and I think any sort of 'rule' like this would cop flack from both sides (and then people would just get on with it and probably find new, amusing exploits)...

Personally I noticed a disturbing tendency towards pickery in R lately, so I made myself a 'rule' and a challenge: find 'legendary' teams and pick them when I see them in gamefinder. I've even made a wee group page to keep track of said legend teams (500+ games, teams of renown like Hellbound or the Agility Monsters, teams with great fluff, etc) and what my record is.
Thought about opening it up to the general fumbbl public but I barely have time and energy to track my own stats... Razz

tldr, useless post that could have been summed up by a '+1'
/ramble

Post   Posted: Jul 12, 2015 - 11:30 Reply with quote Back to top

+1
there ya go luo ive got ya covered
+1 <--this ones mine Smile

Post   Posted: Jul 12, 2015 - 11:37 Reply with quote Back to top

I'm not sure I like the name of the rule - what if we just called it the rule of five?

And rather than force, do you think that giving coaches the choice to use either the scheduler or the gamefinder would work?

Join the Human League Premiership!
OenarLod

Post   Posted: Jul 12, 2015 - 11:56 Reply with quote Back to top

I fully endorse merging the two divisions, as I said many times.
Actually I'm in for a full merge, letting coaches free to use the gamefinder or the scheduler.
Despite a few hard discussions on the subject, I once again bow to PC and his efforts to keep the site (and the Box specifically) healthy.

Post   Posted: Jul 12, 2015 - 12:03 Reply with quote Back to top

I agree with the merge but...

It will not solve any problem at all. People will just power game it.
Use blackbox style to build your killer team and then cherrypick to fine tune it...
Igvy

Post   Posted: Jul 12, 2015 - 12:06 Reply with quote Back to top

Can't help but feel you would just get the worst of both worlds.
koadah

Post   Posted: Jul 12, 2015 - 12:06 Reply with quote Back to top

+1

I totally agree with the idea. But if you don't nerf CPOMB I'm still not doing it.

If Cyanide nerf it I'm gone baby!
(Well, OK, except for the odd league game Wink )

Post   Posted: Jul 12, 2015 - 12:07 Reply with quote Back to top

Personally I think it's a good idea. I know not many agree with me, but I think there's a real issue with the playing mentality on the site.
Grod

Post   Posted: Jul 12, 2015 - 12:09 Reply with quote Back to top

Yes to merge. I like the principle behind your 1 in 5 rule... but I fear it fails the keep it simple stupid (kiss) rule.

Oscar Wilde
akaRenton

Post   Posted: Jul 12, 2015 - 12:09 Reply with quote Back to top

What if the reason you turn down some match ups is because the idea of an hour plus playing someone you really dislike is not your idea of fun? Sure occasionally I'll play someone new in ranked that turns out to be silent or boring or an ass, but I then get to not play them again if I wish. I avoid box for that reason.

I predict this thread will pass 5 pages of people going yay or nay for all the same old reasons.

Fumbbl Image Library - Free images to make logos, player bio pics etc
Wreckage

Post   Posted: Jul 12, 2015 - 12:32 Reply with quote Back to top

Good proposal. I'm thinking about how to practically do it... maybe with chips or a counter... Do a R match and it switches to Box counter. Do a B match and you get an R counter. Attitude certainly never has been the answer to any problem. But this might be. Not that it will ever happen, simply because it is a merger proposal. But yeah, good idea.
bghandras

Post   Posted: Jul 12, 2015 - 12:38 Reply with quote Back to top

I think that would merge the worse from both worlds, with no way going back. Maybe I am wrong with that, but still is a risk. If you nerf po in the box, there is a way to undo it. But this proposal is not reversible.

Post   Posted: Jul 12, 2015 - 12:41 Reply with quote Back to top

How about we tell people who are not behaving nice that they are not behaving nice, and if they continue not behaving nice, we ban them?

A social problem cannot be solved with technical measures.
Verminardo

Post   Posted: Jul 12, 2015 - 12:42 Reply with quote Back to top

Hm so if after 4 games you can't find anyone to play on GF you cannot activate any more? This would make a lot of teams sit on the shelf for a long time...
 Jump to: