33 coaches online • Server time: 03:55
Forum Chat
Recent Forum Topics goto Post Finishing the 60 Gam...goto Post SWL Season CIgoto Post My 1st Blackbox tour...
SearchSearch 
View previous topic Log in to check your private messages View next topic
CW

Post   Posted: Nov 10, 2015 - 04:01 Reply with quote Back to top

I have a new Undead team that has played 6 games. My opponent has conceded in 3 of them. One of those there hadn't even been a casualty yet. In the other two, my opponents had not had a whole lot of luck, but they were not what I would consider worthy of concession at all. It is getting very frustrating. And I am not even a very good coach. If this is happening to me, I can only imagine what is happening to them.

Hopefully this will not become a new trend.
Mr_Foulscumm

Post   Posted: Nov 10, 2015 - 04:08 Reply with quote Back to top

File a ticket, have the nice admins deal with it.

Post   Posted: Nov 10, 2015 - 04:10 Reply with quote Back to top

It already has.

I'm not sure it's a good suggestion or not, but we could have a template PM that anybody could send out to the really obvious bad concessions.

Remember though that casualties are only 1 reason for conceding. There are 2 others.
mrt1212

Post   Posted: Nov 10, 2015 - 04:12 Reply with quote Back to top

CW wrote:
I have a new Undead team that has played 6 games. My opponent has conceded in 3 of them. One of those there hadn't even been a casualty yet. In the other two, my opponents had not had a whole lot of luck, but they were not what I would consider worthy of concession at all. It is getting very frustrating. And I am not even a very good coach. If this is happening to me, I can only imagine what is happening to them.

Hopefully this will not become a new trend.

Box misses you.
harvestmouse

Post   Posted: Nov 10, 2015 - 04:13 Reply with quote Back to top

Ticketing for concessions really isn't a good use of resources. The matter should be policed (and be easy to police).

Rather than us sending in tickets, which have to be answered and then the matter dealt with. And the risk of multiple tickets on the same concession.
pythrr

Post   Posted: Nov 10, 2015 - 04:17 Reply with quote Back to top

harvestmouse wrote:
It already has.

I'm not sure it's a good suggestion or not, but we could have a template PM that anybody could send out to the really obvious bad concessions.

Remember though that casualties are only 1 reason for conceding. There are 2 others.

Is one of these

"Playing x and not wanting to cut your own wrists"?

Post   Posted: Nov 10, 2015 - 04:19 Reply with quote Back to top

More broadly, to the OP:

We've seen more soft concessions of late due to a certain amount of Cyanide-culture in _some_ of the new coaches to the site. I think they are just getting gently warned that this is not what we do here, rather than getting banhammared all over the place. It is like educating newcomers.

Post   Posted: Nov 10, 2015 - 04:53 Reply with quote Back to top

­­> Remember though that casualties are only 1 reason for conceding. There are 2 others.

Which ones?
Arktoris

Post   Posted: Nov 10, 2015 - 04:58 Reply with quote Back to top

congratulations on some easy wins

celebrate the concession and spend the bounty

Post   Posted: Nov 10, 2015 - 06:00 Reply with quote Back to top

thoralf wrote:
­­> Remember though that casualties are only 1 reason for conceding. There are 2 others.

Which ones?

The ones you agreed you understood when reading the rules.

Being totally outplayed with nothing to gain (losing 2-0 and not having the ball does not count).

Having lack of numbers left to play a reasonable drive. (remember that it's not only casualties that remove numbers off of the field).
tussock

Post   Posted: Nov 10, 2015 - 06:29 Reply with quote Back to top

https://fumbbl.com/FUMBBL.php?page=help&op=rules

Quote:
Concessions

* Concessions are to be made only when there is merit for them.
* In this context, merit means that the conceding team needs a reasonable in-game reason for conceding. The team taking excessive casualties is one acceptable reason to concede. Other reasons include having a very distinct lack of players left to play with, or being clearly outplayed in terms of touchdowns.
* Conceding when none of the above circumstances are fulfilled will require admin approval.
* If you are unsure if your particular game qualifies for a concession, please consult the FUMBBL administration for a ruling.
* A match where the administration rules that a concession is acceptable, even though it does not fulfil the policy stated here will have its match report page marked to reflect this.

IME, taking taking 6 casualties by the end of a match is pretty normal and thus so is playing on with 4-5 players on the field, a couple of permanent injuries is similarly pretty common. Losing by 2-3 TDs is what happens to someone in a bunch of games, but I've noticed that being down by 3 before half time is a fair concession, and I'd assume taking a bunch of early cas with no bench is similar.

The concessions are free if you're ever down to 2 players on the field or in reserve, and that is exceptional even for stunties. Important to consider the previous section too.

Quote:
* Once a game is started or scheduled, you are committed to it and you are expected to play it through.

Just remember, if Dwarf Fortress has taught us anything, it's that losing is fun.
thoralf

Post   Posted: Nov 10, 2015 - 07:12 Reply with quote Back to top

harvestmouse wrote:
The ones you agreed you understood when reading the rules.

Being totally outplayed with nothing to gain (losing 2-0 and not having the ball does not count).

Having lack of numbers left to play a reasonable drive. (remember that it's not only casualties that remove numbers off of the field).

Assuming I agreed to these rules, my understanding of them may not cohere with the admins'.

When I discussed this with some of them, nothing else than casualties seemed to matter.

The rules, and more importantly the social norms behind them, need to be clarified.

The negative condition "losing 2-0 and not having the ball" doesn't tell much.

TL;DR -- what pythrr said, this time with more feeling.
pythrr

Post   Posted: Nov 10, 2015 - 07:47 Reply with quote Back to top

^^ what did I say?

Post   Posted: Nov 10, 2015 - 07:55 Reply with quote Back to top

pythrr wrote:

"Playing x and not wanting to cut your own wrists"?

Should be an exception to the rule imho
thoralf

Post   Posted: Nov 10, 2015 - 07:58 Reply with quote Back to top

> what did I say?

"It is like educating newcomers."

In-group stuff is seldom obvious from the outside.
 Jump to: