15 coaches online • Server time: 04:45
Forum Chat
Recent Forum Topics goto Post Borg Invasiongoto Post Finishing the 60 Gam...goto Post GIF Guide
SearchSearch 
View previous topic Log in to check your private messages View next topic
Poll
Are you from the British Isles? And, would you like to be part of a major British scheduled league?
Yes, and I would like to be part of one
38%
 38%  [ 29 ]
Yes, and I would like to see one, but wouldn't have time to be involved
9%
 9%  [ 7 ]
Yes, but I would not be interested
4%
 4%  [ 3 ]
No. My country has a scheduled league, and it's great!
26%
 26%  [ 20 ]
No. My country has a scheduled league, but it's not worth having really
8%
 8%  [ 6 ]
Other ...
13%
 13%  [ 10 ]
Total Votes : 75

pac

Post 22 Posted: May 01, 2006 - 14:44 Reply with quote Back to top

I know that I can't be alone amongst British coaches in occasionally looking on in envy at big scheduled [U] leagues such as the Swedish league and the SWL. Sometimes it seems as though every other country has such a league but this one … And now even North America has the NWL! Is the 'home of Blood Bowl' being left out in the cold here?

Now, I have no doubt that people have tried before to set up a league like this, and clearly it didn't work out as the organisers hoped, so I'd really like to hear from anyone who has made attempts along these lines as to what went wrong.

I suspect that the most likely problem for attempts along these lines has been - as so often with Unranked tournaments - lack of commitment from the coaches. My - unabashedly elitist - solution to this would be to recruit only 'established' coaches (initially, at least): eg, those who have played at least 100 games on Fumbbl, and have also been registered on the site for at least, say, 3 months.

Now, there would be a huge distance to go before anything along these lines could be set up, and I'm not at all sure that I would be capable of doing something like this, or that I'd by any means be the right person to do it! For one thing, it would be essential to do some research on the successful, established national [U] leagues, and steal all their best ideas! Wink

However, I'd really like to hear from other British Isles (Irish included! Residents included! Broadest definition of 'British' you like!) coaches out there as to how many people would like to see something like this, and whether you think it would actually be achievable, or whether it's just a crazy dream which could never work …

Edit: League structure information now re-located to the group page.

Please also see the recruitment thread for the league.

Last edited by pac on %b %25, %2006 - %12:%Jul; edited 5 times in total
Cloggy

Post   Posted: May 01, 2006 - 14:55 Reply with quote Back to top

We just started a Dutch speaking league a couple of weeks ago and, (even though Mezir is in the lead right now Crying or Very sad ) so far we have had loads of fun with it.

I think a key to succes is to have active communication in an own IRC channel. This gives more smack talk and thus more commitment.

Also we made some choices that I feel will make the chances of coaches dropping out smaller:

- introduce the possibility for coaches to change teams when theirs is too badly beaten up to stand a chance in their next games.
-Start small, and build later
-Have flexible deadlines, since a lot of coaches have trouble meeting 1 week or even 2 week deadlines, I decided to make ours a 3 week deadline, and start the next round early in case all matches are completed before the deadline.

Well, good luck if you are going for a league, and I can only hope ours stays as much fun as it is up to today.

Post   Posted: May 01, 2006 - 15:00 Reply with quote Back to top

I would like to see several european leagues like the german (DBL) with an international coorperation(Champions League??)
SnakeSanders

Post   Posted: May 01, 2006 - 15:01 Reply with quote Back to top

would be cool, there is already the battle of britain that i mean to join, but really dont have the time for, but it would be the same for me with this, a good idea but i wouldnt have the time for a scheduled league, to be honest, so my vote goes to #2 Smile
phil78

Post   Posted: May 01, 2006 - 15:02 Reply with quote Back to top

There was/is thebattle of britain but the attempts at a follow up league seem to have stalled.

I think its a great idea and would definitely join up though Very Happy
pac

Post   Posted: May 01, 2006 - 15:54 Reply with quote Back to top

Added some initial working ideas to the first post. All feedback on them welcome!
Macavity

Post   Posted: May 01, 2006 - 16:04 Reply with quote Back to top

Pac is British? Who knew?

Post   Posted: May 01, 2006 - 16:18 Reply with quote Back to top

Macavity wrote:
Pac is British? Who knew?

Er, I thought you did. We had a discussion on the quality of language teaching in our respective homelands. (Memory of a goldfish. Wink)

Last edited by pac on %b %01, %2006 - %16:%May; edited 1 time in total
Furious_George

Post   Posted: May 01, 2006 - 16:20 Reply with quote Back to top

Wooo, im english, and despite a standard of coaching that would make small children cry, im established with a couple o' hundred games under my belt Very Happy Id be in!

"Hugh Mann eh? Now theres a name I can trust!"
Me Loves Futurama
Natakutoo

Post   Posted: May 01, 2006 - 16:39 Reply with quote Back to top

I'd be in, assuming I meet the criteria... only I'm terrified of being one of those non-comitted coaches...
pac

Post   Posted: May 01, 2006 - 17:04 Reply with quote Back to top

Natakutoo wrote:
I'd be in, assuming I meet the criteria... only I'm terrified of being one of those non-comitted coaches...

Yeah, I agree that it's an elitist solution (and apparently that's a bad thing … Wink), but coaches not getting games played is one of the things that consistently hamstrings leagues when they're trying to get off the ground. I don't doubt that the SWL, for example, now has the depth to cope with coaches going missing, but I think a new league would have to minimise the risk of that as far as possible …

(Although in fact, it looks like you've been around for years! So I'm sure you wouldn't need to worry! Wink)

PS - This is in essence a *bump*.

Post   Posted: May 01, 2006 - 17:09 Reply with quote Back to top

You're, in essence, a bump! Ok, so i DID know you were british..... I still won't be in the league Razz

Post   Posted: May 01, 2006 - 17:15
FUMBBL Staff
Reply with quote Back to top

Lovely idea. I wouldn't be able to partake as its a fixed schedule league and those dont gel with my freelancer lifestyle. Im often away for weeks on end, only home for 2 days at weekends, with other priorities than playing games.

In the past, in my experience, most similar ideas have foundered out of a combination of:

A lack of admin commitment leading to..
innactive players not dealt with leading to..
participant apathy leading to..
death

So try and avoid that and it may thrive.
PeteW

Post   Posted: May 01, 2006 - 19:53 Reply with quote Back to top

Hail!

As the fourth highest ranking British coach I wholeheartedly endorse this idea!

I will be playing, and my team of choice will be Rotters!

PeteW

Post   Posted: May 01, 2006 - 20:14 Reply with quote Back to top

Well, pac, you now have 11 coaches who think its a good idea - get on and make it!!!!