33 coaches online • Server time: 10:54
Forum Chat
Recent Forum Topics goto Post Gnomes are trashgoto Post Cindy is back?goto Post ramchop takes on the...
SearchSearch 
View previous topic Log in to check your private messages View next topic
gjopie

Post   Posted: Mar 12, 2013 - 12:08 Reply with quote Back to top

A report from the league...

A great roar rose from the crowd as the final whistle blew at the end of the first Challenge Cup Final. Almost immediately, a team of peasants who had been waiting on the sideline hauled the prize-giving stage out on to the field. Even the fans who had made the long journey from Uzkulak stuck around to watch as the Challenge Cup was brought out to midfield by a herald surrounded by a bodyguard of men-at-arms.

The assorted players of the Sylvania Walkers shambled up on to the stage one by one, to be greeted by a team of league administrators, before being handed their winner’s medal by the patron of the Bretonnia Conference, the Duke of Lyonesse. Even Ioan, who had quite clearly been decapitated during the match, had been mockingly reanimated so that he could join the celebrations. The disgust on the Duke’s face was clear as he handed over the precious cup to their deathly pale head coach.

When the ceremony was over, the partying could really begin, and for the fans it went on all night. Nobody paid any attention to a strange caravan leaving town, heading east…

When the Walkers failed to turn up to register for the Wildcard Tournament the next day, it was put down to over-exuberant celebrations. After all, who could forget the case of the Numas Shamblers, whose head necromancer was so hungover one morning that he couldn’t muster the required concentration and the entire team crumbled to dust?

However, when the team still hadn’t been heard from a week later, the Duke sent some men to the team’s training ground to see what the problem was. When the men returned, they reported that the training ground had been abandoned. After asking around, they discovered that nobody had seen the Walkers since the night of the final. Most importantly, the Challenge Cup itself was nowhere to be found!

A search party was immediately put together to locate the missing team and trophy. Witnesses from villages to the east claimed to have seen the team trudging tirelessly through town, heading back towards the dark forests of Sylvania. When the news reached the Duke, he called in one of his servants.

“The Challenge Cup must be found! Let it be known that any man who can return it from the depths of Sylvania to its rightful home will be granted a tract of land and a title to go with it.”

“Certainly, my lord. I will inform the town criers at once.”

“Oh, and while you’re about it, fetch me the head coach of that other team…you know, the pirate-y ones. It looks like I’ll need a new captain for the Bretonnia Conference.”

Unfortunately, Tricktickler has decided not to take part in the OWCC again next season. I'd like to thank him and the other departing coaches - Russo, JanekT, and Estika - for letting me know in advance and playing out their remaining matches.

That means however that we are left with a vacancy at the top of the Bretonnia Conference. As runner-up in the Challenge Cup, Chainsaw's Uzkulak Pirates will instead be the Bretonnia Conference Captains next season. The two coaches who will be taking part in the draft will therefore be Uzkulak and Chainsaw.

Post   Posted: Mar 12, 2013 - 12:31 Reply with quote Back to top

The final was fun. Although I hadn't been drinking, I played as if I was drunk. I think maybe Tricktickler spiked the tea! Sadly, since I drank it all, and spent the entire evening urinating behind bushes inbetween streaking through back gardens, there is no way to prove these allegations.

Post   Posted: Mar 18, 2013 - 11:45 Reply with quote Back to top

Well, here it is: The Draft. White smoke is billowing from the chimney of the Drafting Chamber, where the coaches of the Barak Varr Goldlords and the Uzkulak Pirates have been deliberating. Rumour has it that the Pirates have been invoking the will of Tzeentch to determine their half of the draw, but since nobody except the two coaches is allowed in to the Drafting Chamber, we only have the dwarven coach's word for that.

We have yet to hear whether the Marauders will be calling in the favour they earnt from winning the Wildcard Tournament, but in the meantime, here is what the draft looks like:

Round 1
Morgheim Minions automatically drafted to Albion
Tuarec Exiles drafted to Bretonnia
L'anguille Leapers stay in Albion

The only certainty before the draft was that the Morgheim Minions would be playing in the Albion Conference due to the racial balance rules in place. The new dark elves, the Tuarec Exiles, were then drafted in to the Bretonnia Conference to replace the outgoing Pavona Pillagers. They had a rough Wildcard, suffering four deaths in four games. The L'anguille Leapers, who didn't play any games in the Wildcard tournament, were re-signed to the Albion Conference again this season.

Round 2
Grey Mountain Lions transferred to Bretonnia
Sylvania Bonegrinders automatically drafted to Albion
Black Chasm Rush transferred to Albion
Black Chasm Thirteens automatically drafted to Bretonnia

Two of the three remaining "doubled" races were picked in the second round of the draft. First, the Grey Mountain Lions transferred over to the Bretonnia Conference, which meant the Sylvania Bonegrinders were automatically drafted in to the Albion Conference. Then, Black Chasm Rush were transferred by the dwarves to the Albion Conference, meaning the new Black Chasm Thirteens start in the Bretonnia Conference.

Round 3
Uzkulak Marauders transferred to Bretonnia
New Bretonnia Expatriates transferred to Albion

A pair of transfers in the third round: the Marauders (who, remember, have the Royal Pardon) jumped ship to the Bretonnia Conference, while the Expats are forced out of Bretonnia to the Albion Conference. Which means they can play the Black Chasm Rush a couple of times again this season!

Round 4
IFK Marienburg stay in Bretonnia
Black Mountain FORC'ers stay in Albion
Black Mountain Bully Boyz stay in Bretonnia

Following the transfers from the third round, there was a group of re-signings in the fourth. It was confirmed that the elves of IFK Marienburg would feature in the Bretonnia Conference again, before the two Orc teams were also kept in the same conferences from last season.

Round 5
Luccini Renegades drafted to Bretonnia
Nidhoggstad Icedragons transferred to Albion

The Luccini Renegades were the last new team to be drafted - clearly nobody fancies facing their slimy tentacles! And the Icedragons have the honour of being the very last team to be signed, when they were transferred to the Albion Conference.

Watch this space to find out whether the Marauders decide to stay in the Bretonnia Conference, or fancy a change with one of the Albion teams.

Post   Posted: Mar 18, 2013 - 16:29 Reply with quote Back to top

News just in...

Uzkulak Marauders use Pardon to switch to Albion
Black Mountain FORC'ers take their place in Bretonnia

The Uzkulak Marauders have decided to use their Royal Pardon to move back to the Albion Conference. In their place, they've chosen the Black Mountain FORC'ers, creating an Orc-heavy Bretonnia Conference!

New season will kick off imminently.

Post   Posted: Mar 18, 2013 - 17:16 Reply with quote Back to top

For the kickoff of the new season I thought I’d make my predictions for what will happen. I’m starting with the Albion Conference. Don't anyone get offended though, I'm a known terrible predictor, so go and prove me wrong!

Barak Varr Goldlords: We start off with last season’s conference champions. The Goldlords this season have the second lowest TV in the conference, only higher that one of the new additions to the league. In addition the few skills the team does have are placed on injured dwarfs. I still believe they’ll pull out a win or two, but with the team hampered like this, I do not expect them to repeat on their title.

Predicted Record: 1/1/2

Black Chasm Rush: Victims last season of massive casualties, and some poor luck, the Rush has been on fire since the season ended, with an impressive 3/1/0 record. While the natural one turn score of the team has been crippled (hehehehe), their record coming into this season speaks for itself, and, what can I say, I’m a sucker for skaven.

Predicted Record: 3/1/0

L’anguille Leapers: The poor slaan are still without a win in the league, but their +AG blitzer could help them solve that. When that blitzer skills up, he can be a master sacker, and terror of the league. Other than that, nothing really jumps out to me as strong from this team, and considering they are winless and I’ve never been a believer in slaan, I’m going to have to predict the Leapers are in for another tough season.

Predicted Record: 1/0/3

Morgheim Minions: Unholy Hashut, two +ST players for a team that has just started, the Minions are looking like an up and coming team from the start. Unfortunately for them, getting strength early has left them from getting other skills, and pact are a team that can take some time to develop. I see a bright future for the minions, but not this season.

New Bretonnia Expatriates: The lizards don’t have any skills that really jump out to me, and an injured Krox is never a good thing. The skinks have tied up a large amount of TV, having taken most of the skills, perhaps too much if you ask me. I see somewhat of rough going for the lizards until they get the Saurii skilled up.

Nidhoggstad Icedragons: The Icedragons look like a very good team. Most skills of any team in the conference, and a very good team record give me no reason to think the Icedragons will not do well this season.

Predicted Record: 3/0/1

Sylvania Bonegrinders: This is the team I think will fall most prey to just being a new team. With only a small number of skills, to be fair, one of which is a +AG, I just don’t think the Bonegrinders will have to power to push into the playoffs this year.

Predicted Record: 2/0/2

Uzkulak Marauders: Fans were calling for the head of a certain Bull Centaur after last season he literally fumbled away any chance of tying the game against the other Uzkulak team. However that bull is now the league’s leading scorer and was instrumental in the winning the wildcard challenge. The Marauders have had difficulty skilling up their dwarfs, and most of the SPP has gone to the bull. I don’t see a great season for them, rather backing into the playoffs to be knocked out again in the first round.
Predicted Record: 2/0/2

Predicted Final Standings:
1. Black Chasm Rush
2. Nidhoggstad Icedragons
3. Uzkulak Marauders
4. Sylvania Bonegrinders
5. Barak Varr Goldlords
6. New Bretonnia Expatriates
7. Morgheim Minions
8. L’anguille Leapers

I'll post the Bretonnian predictions soon.
Drrek

Post   Posted: Mar 18, 2013 - 17:41 Reply with quote Back to top

Now for Bretonnia

Uzkulak Pirates: Last year’s sort of conference champions are looking strong going into this year. A strong assortment of skills and some extra movement make the Pirates really the team to beat. I think the pirates will make a strong showing.

Black Chasm Thirteens: Two natural 1-turners and Skaven (who we all know I’m an absolute sucker for), these guys should be my obvious pick for number 1 right? WRONG! Don’t get me wrong, I love this team, but I think their conference is very, very strong, and the gutters don’t have the skills to complement their move yet. I do think they still make the playoffs, just not as Champions.

Predicted Record: 2/1/1

Black Mountain FORC’ers: A solid team with a good number of skills, I think the FORC’ers put up a good showing this season. Its still a tough conference, but I think the orcs could be up to it.

Black Mountain Bullyboyz: With the highest TV in the conference I’d love to say I think the bullyboyz will do well this season, but I think the conference is just too strong, and the Boyz haven’t shown enough ability to win in the past.

Grey Mountain Lions: Another team I feel can do very well this season, the Lions are led by some well developing Wolves and a +AG Wight. I just don’t know if, even with a good coach like Murker and a nice team, they can make it in this conference, this season.

IFK Marienburg: And the strength just keeps on coming. I would almost alway think an elf team with both a +ST and +AG catcher would be a lock to make the playoffs, and I do think they make it this year. It’ll be tough though, and we’ll have to see how the elfs survive.

Luccini Renegades: And now we get to the poor teams that don’t have the stars or TV that makes this conference so strong. As a relatively new team, in this conference, I unfortunately have to say the Renegades are in for a tough season.

Predicted Record: 0/1/3

Tuarec Exiles: Again a team I think just falls prey to bad luck in drawing its conference while being a new team. All the wins I’m predicting for the other teams have to come from somewhere, and unfortunately, I don’t think the Exiles are currently strong enough to handle the other teams in the conference.

Predicted Record: 0/1/3

Predicted Final Standings:

1. Uzkulak Pirates
2: IFK Mariensburg
3. Black Chasm Thirteens
4. Grey Mountains Lions
5. Black Mountain FORC’ers
6. Black Mountain Bullyboyz
7. Taurec Exiles
8. Luccini Renegades

I’ll post my playoff predictions soon.
gjopie

Post   Posted: Mar 18, 2013 - 17:46 Reply with quote Back to top

Thanks for the predictions! I think you've been far too generous to me though.
Here's my prediction: if only one team goes unbeaten this season, it won't be the Black Chasm Rush!

Post   Posted: Mar 18, 2013 - 17:59 Reply with quote Back to top

Now for my playoff predictions

Challenge Cup:

Round 1:

Nidhoggstad Icedragons vs. Black Chasm Thirteens: By this point I think the Thirteens have some nice 1-turners developed, and as much as I like the Norse, I gotta go with the skaven in this match up.

IFK Mariensburg vs. Uzkulak Marauders: HAHAHAHA! If anyone thinks I’d win this match, they’d be crazy.

Round 2:

Uzkulak Pirates vs Black Chasm Thirteens: A close match up, but the pirates are probably in full killer mode by this point, and I think win by bashing out the Thirteens.

IFK Mariensburg vs Black Chasm Rush: As much as I like skaven, if the +stats on Mariensburg are still healthy when they reach this point, I have to take them over the Rush.

Championship:

Uzkulak Pirates vs IFK Mariensburg: A match that I think would be very close, but I’m going with the elves to beat out the Pirates for the championship. It all depends on the damage the elves take to get here.

Inter-Conference Shield:

Grey Mountains Lions vs. Sylvania Bonegrinders: In a match up of the Necros, I’m gong with the Lions, who I just believe are the stronger team.

Barak Varr Goldlords vs. Black Mountain FORC’ers: I think the orcs just will have too many more skills and player than the dwarves in this matchup. Gotta go with the orcs.

New Bretonnia Expatriates vs. Black Mountain Bullyboyz: If anyone can match orcs in strength, its gotta be lizards. I think this will also be a close one, but I’m going with the Expatriates.

Morgheim Minions vs. Taurec Exiles: I love the strength in the Minions, and I think they have developed some by the time of this match, which I think they win.

L’anguille Leapers vs. Luccini Renegades: Still not a fan of slaan, and I only put the Renegades down here because of their conference strength. I think the Renegade take this.
Final prediction for the Inter-Conference Shield, Bretonnia wins 3-2.

That’s it for my predictions, go get your games done!
Drrek

Post   Posted: Mar 18, 2013 - 18:00 Reply with quote Back to top

gjopie wrote:
Thanks for the predictions! I think you've been far too generous to me though.
Here's my prediction: if only one team goes unbeaten this season, it won't be the Black Chasm Rush!

As I said, I'm a sucker for Skaven, and think you're in the weaker conference (wouldn't have jumped ship for it otherwise). I've been known to be almost always wrong though.
sann0638

Post   Posted: Mar 18, 2013 - 18:28 Reply with quote Back to top

Right then, let's show you...

Wink

Post   Posted: Mar 18, 2013 - 19:14 Reply with quote Back to top

Thanks for the honor of us being the last draw... this shows that the Icedragons are the most feared team in both leagues. And this time WE BROUGHT A SNOW TROLL (transferring him from Norsca wasnt so easy, so it took a little longer).

I am pretty sure the troll and half my team will die in the first match now. Smile

Post   Posted: Mar 18, 2013 - 20:53 Reply with quote Back to top

Was trying to push all the higher tv teams into the bretonnia Razz thats my excuse anyway and Im sticking to it! So, that plan didnt work.

Drrek, Im going to take your prediction as a challenge - see you on the pitch Smile
Smeat

Post   Posted: Mar 19, 2013 - 23:36 Reply with quote Back to top

Looks like I drew Drrek for round 1, so we'll see if I can't be one of his two predicted losses. Cool

Drrek wrote:
For the kickoff of the new season I thought I’d make my predictions for what will happen...

New Bretonnia Expatriates: The lizards don’t have any skills that really jump out to me... I see somewhat of rough going for the lizards until they get the Saurii skilled up.

<splutters> I... I... I... pretty much have to agree on all points, except possibly about the skinks, but even that you admit is a judgement call. The good news is that you predict our first in-season win, so we're improving!

Winni wrote:
Thanks for the honor of us being the last draw... this shows that the Icedragons are the most feared team in both leagues.

No, you misunderstand - the team captains want to win the challenge cup, so they each pick the best teams first! Better luck next season. Razz

Quote:
And this time WE BROUGHT A SNOW TROLL

<mental image>

Team captain opens door to locker room, looks out, quickly shuts and bars door, turns and announces somberly to rest of team...
    "They have a snow troll..."

I think a lot depends on the starter seeds in the Swiss, and Nuffle's influence on those first couple games. With only 4 games to prove yourself in a conference of 8 teams, the result can be pretty grainy.

More, there are a lot of variables in those first 4 games. One key +stat skill or doubles can suddenly create a standout player where there had been mediocrity - and on the flipside, one key Cas can spell the reverse.

Lots of BB to be played before any predictions are (in)validated, so... let's play some Blood Bowl!

(...and what exactly do you think they do with all those dead players?...)
sann0638

Post   Posted: Mar 19, 2013 - 23:47 Reply with quote Back to top

What? So being picked first is a bad thing? I am so confused. Anyway, I won my first game, so boo to you!

Post   Posted: Mar 20, 2013 - 00:28 Reply with quote Back to top

These are excellent predictions. I'm hoping for a 50% win record. We had a shocker of a pre-season, including an appalling 3-0 loss at the first Black Chasm derby. Only way is up!

I've got a feeling we take an early loss to the Lions though. Murker's boys are strong.