28 coaches online • Server time: 06:09
Forum Chat
Recent Forum Topics goto Post Theory-craft Leaguegoto Post On-spot substitution...goto Post Juggernaut as counte...
SearchSearch 
View previous topic Log in to check your private messages View next topic
JackassRampant

Post   Posted: Jul 17, 2018 - 17:39 Reply with quote Back to top

Hey, all coaches of all levels,

In a recent thread, we discussed a mentorship program. Let's get one started. Here's how we'll proceed.

1) Post here if you are either a qualified mentor or a coach seeking mentorship.

A qualified mentor is a "good" coach by some reasonable estimate. Specific waivers are available for those who can't demonstrate a 55% competitive win rate or an average CR in the 155-160 or higher range over the last year, but who have proven themselves in highly-competitive leagues. A qualified mentor has at least 100 FUMBBL games and 500 Blood Bowl games in any format. More important, you want to take on a student and help him/her improve. That means answering silly questions and PM'ing/Discord'ing/emailing/whatever back and forth. It means watching games, and maybe playing a game or two in League. (The odd Ranked game is okay, but a) observe the rules of the division, and b) only if the student is good enough to be honestly playing you in Ranked.)

A coach seeking mentorship can be anyone who genuinely wants to improve. Seriously. Raw rookies welcome: in fact, you're our primary audience. Emerging Star despite hundreds or even thousands of games? Drop on by, maybe we can help you "git gud" where doing it yourself has failed! Super Star who's tired of knocking on the door of greatness, only to repeatedly not be let in? We'll hook you up with a Legend, see if we can change this. Among the best in the world? We'll at least help enlarge your "sewing circle" of other great coaches.

2) When you post, include your region (Americas, Eurasia, Far East/Australia/Oceania), and as honest a personal skill and style assessment as you want to make online. Tell us your favorite team races, maybe link us to your best/favorite teams. Oh, and tell us your favored divisions/formats. Make it clear whether you're seeking a mentor or a student, or both (both is fine; that's what I'm doing). Even if you see your name when you read this first, because we've already talked, post anyway.

3) When and if this really gets going, I'll move it from a forum thread to a group. But I want to advertise it for now, and we're just getting started.

So far, I've got the following mentors set up:
Americas: Bazakastine, Morehouse,JackassRampant, MenonaLoco, Arcayn, Mrt1212, Asteflix, Jim_Fear, Antithesisoftime
Eurasia: Bghandras, Wreckage, Oly1987, Nachtogen, SiPa, Malmir, Chimp2010, Laskas, Emphasy, PurpleChest, Stimme
Far East: Kondor

So far, I've got the following students set up:
Americas: JackassRampant, MenonaLoco, Jeffro, Paperbag4, Tzalaran, Willowforrest
Eurasia: Seventyone, Det, Sampittu, Joe1982, FinnDiesel, Muaddib68
Far East: DrPoods, Klazam

So far, we've made the following assignments:
Jeffro - Bghandras
Tzalaran - Bazakastine
DrPoods - Bazakastine
Det - Nachtogen
Willowforrest - mrt1212

Last edited by JackassRampant on Jul 19, 2018 - 19:39; edited 30 times in total
mrt1212

Post   Posted: Jul 17, 2018 - 17:44 Reply with quote Back to top

I'll throw my hat in the ring to mentor coaches on some of the non tactical aspects of the game like wherewithal unless they really want to learn how to pull crazy moves out of their butt. I'll do that as dessert.

Timezone: -9 AKA Pacific
Style: Aggressive, Risky, Unconventional, Intricate
Teams: High Elf

Last edited by mrt1212 on Jul 18, 2018 - 20:21; edited 2 times in total
JackassRampant

Post   Posted: Jul 17, 2018 - 17:49 Reply with quote Back to top

Hi, my name is JackassRampant. I'm here for both aspects of mentorship, in that I wanna get better and to help bring new or struggling coaches up. I'm in the Americas. I've been playing for 21 years. I'm solid but not great; the very best take me seriously, and sometimes I beat them, but I'm not one of the very best myself. I'd like to be. I'm really into Humans, Orcs, Underworld, Undead, High Elves, and no-Mutation Chaos Pact. I'm looking for a mentor whose style complements my own (very brawly; kinda passive, but unusually caustic), but who wins more, because I enjoy the upside of my style, even as the downside frustrates me. I'd like a student who wants to learn to win with violence, because that's what I know how to teach. I play all divisions, but my schedule isn't conducive to Blackbox or tournaments, unfortunately.

Post   Posted: Jul 17, 2018 - 18:45 Reply with quote Back to top

Hello, ML here...

I did everything of your mentor-description with the mexican cartel and helped a few other coaches. I would gladly try to get another newcomer to get there and have fun by winning more (instead of potentially quitting fumbbl/bb).

On the other hand i need a mentor who is able to help me to get from "solid" to "great", with any method and style that fits the purpose (make better decisions, make less mistakes, win a major).

Tz: American (server-7).

Style: mostly conservative, mostly bash.

Favorite races: Chaos, Slann, Necro, Chorfs, Nurgle, Skaven, High elves.
Seventyone

Post   Posted: Jul 17, 2018 - 19:11 Reply with quote Back to top

I'd like a mentor if possible. I am UK based and quite possibly one of the worst long time coaches on the site. While my CR isn't that bad in the grand scheme of things if you consider how many people play a few games and then quit it is actually pretty terrible.

My biggest weaknesses are rushing through my turn and so doing silly things. I often realise I have made a mistake immediately after it happens. I don't play that often a week, maybe once or twice, and mainly play in league in the DLE. I also dabble in ranked and black box.

Thanks!

Post   Posted: Jul 17, 2018 - 20:33 Reply with quote Back to top

Hi everyone! Thanks JackassRampant for starting this!

I'm looking for a mentor. My experience in bb/fumbbl is pretty short but I think I've got the basics down, more or less. I'd really like to improve my decision making, drive planning, TV management and positioning above all.
I mostly like leagues, much ranked and little box for the moment unfortunately and I really enjoy secret league teams.
CRP team I'm most fond of are Norse. I played some undead/orcs and little elf.
I started as a bashy coach but I prefer to move the ball and do others things than just bash the opponent. I do have difficulties playing when outstrengthened...this mainly influences my decision making.
I'm in Italy, so server time!
Sampittu

Post   Posted: Jul 18, 2018 - 00:28 Reply with quote Back to top

Hi choaches. I could do really first step mentorship in elves and skaven if is necessary due To mentor lack.
However, i'm searching for a mentor with specific experience with Lizardman and Norses which are races i'm Not able To handle well but also to improve the decision making during important moment of games and to advance a solid cage with bashy teams. I play league, tournaments, blackbox but not ranked.
To summarize:
Favourite races -> All kind elves, Skaven, Chaos Dwarf, Human
Races for which i'm searching an expert mentor To improve: Lizardmen, Norse, Necromantic (marginally Vampires)
bghandras

Post   Posted: Jul 18, 2018 - 00:34 Reply with quote Back to top

Bghandras here, but call me Andras. I am willing to mentor a single pupil, who is obsessed to improve his skills, and willing to put serious effort into it. My biggest asset is pattern recognition. Seeing millions different combinations, and narrowing down to single digit variants. Then putting them into structure.

Base: Hungary, so bbtime
Favorite race: None, play the turn, not the race
Communication with pupil: Tough love
Quirks: Giving general (but true) answer that may not be immediately helpful for the pupil. The pupil is encouraged to ask clever follow up question(s).

Post   Posted: Jul 18, 2018 - 00:48 Reply with quote Back to top

bghandras wrote:
Bghandras here, but call me Andras. I am willing to mentor a single pupil, who is obsessed to improve his skills, and willing to put serious effort into it. My biggest asset is pattern recognition. Seeing millions different combinations, and narrowing down to single digit variants. Then putting them into structure.

Quirks: Giving general (but true) answer that may not be immediately helpful for the pupil. The pupil is encouraged to ask clever follow up question(s).

Define serious effort.

I'd love to get tips from you and would love to move my game up and I am willing to take tough-love, non-immediately-helpful suggestions on what I'm doing as a coach. I am obsessed with Bloodbowl as it's the only game I really play.
mrt1212

Post   Posted: Jul 18, 2018 - 00:50 Reply with quote Back to top

bghandras wrote:

FWIW, your stats page for Ranked and Box tell a different story on favorites Wink
bghandras

Post   Posted: Jul 18, 2018 - 00:51 Reply with quote Back to top

Serious effort: doing controlled practice over and over until progress is achieved. Can be of any frequency within reasonable limits (important is that you can remember those games), but not giving up concentration is key.

Post   Posted: Jul 18, 2018 - 01:14 Reply with quote Back to top

Hi,

I'd really appreciate some mentoring. I would say I'm a fairly average player - know the basics but struggle to find that extra something. More experienced with bash or semi-bash (undead in particular). My stats suggest I am a cautious player, I think, but I'm not entirely sure. I suspect I don't block or foul enough (and perhaps would be better with elves in the long-run, despite the fact I am far worse with them now, probably due to lack of experience). I'm mainly a league player, and if I have a strength it is strategy - picking inducements and a game plan to beat a specific team. Struggle with those messy brawls where a lot of attention to detail is required - usually try and break out and move play on as fast as possible.

Great idea, JackassRampant - hope this takes off Smile

Oh I forgot - European time zone
Jim_Fear

Post   Posted: Jul 18, 2018 - 01:33 Reply with quote Back to top

First off, I have been defeated by several of the coaches who are offering their time and energy as mentors, and enjoyed the experience and learned something, 90% of the time.

I would be willing to mentor those who are interested in learning defensive strategies for any of the CPR teams. Emphasis on kicking off Turn 1, minimising opponent's lanes, and racial defensive strengths. Low to mid level TV (~1650TV) being the optimal range.

US time zone, evenings: 0300 BBTime

Post   Posted: Jul 18, 2018 - 02:40 Reply with quote Back to top

I'd be happy to mentor a student or two. I've got toughly 2400 games on Fumbbl, and closer to 2900 when I include games on Cyanide or TT.

Timezone: American Central, currently, I'm available between 1800 and 0700 server time, which may change soon due to a new job.
Style: Varies depending on race, though I prefer a more aggressive style of play
Teams: Nurgle, Skaven, Necromantic, though I could definitely advise on any race
Mentoring style: Tough love, and trial by fire
Jeffro

Post   Posted: Jul 18, 2018 - 02:51 Reply with quote Back to top

bghandras wrote:
Serious effort: doing controlled practice over and over until progress is achieved. Can be of any frequency within reasonable limits (important is that you can remember those games), but not giving up concentration is key.

I can do this. Teach me. Mold me.

My latest games I have been diligent in logging. Send me a PM on any of them. We can start wherever you think I am weakest or otherwise should alter my style. Been playing Khemri lately, but historically I am an Elfballer.
 Jump to: