42 coaches online • Server time: 12:15
Forum Chat
Recent Forum Topics goto Post Speccing and Playing...goto Post Southern Wastes Leag...goto Post Theory-craft League
SearchSearch 
View previous topic Log in to check your private messages View next topic
Lorebass

Post   Posted: Aug 21, 2019 - 01:24
FUMBBL Staff
Reply with quote Back to top

Foul all menz, turns 1 through 24
harvestmouse

Post   Posted: Aug 21, 2019 - 01:48 Reply with quote Back to top

For me:

You should foul to win games/competitions. Fouling for almost any other reason shows character flaws.
Lorebass

Post   Posted: Aug 21, 2019 - 01:55
FUMBBL Staff

harvestmouse wrote:
For me:

You should foul to win games/competitions. Fouling for almost any other reason shows character flaws.

+1 to flaws
Antithesisoftime

Post   Posted: Aug 21, 2019 - 02:02 Reply with quote Back to top

Foul all menz
You have 16 turns and can foul once per turn
So foul 16 times
More in OT, or if Riots allow
Foul often, foul hard, just $%&@ing foul

If there's a question of if you should foul, then the answer is yes, yes you should.
VSwift01

Post   Posted: Aug 21, 2019 - 04:13 Reply with quote Back to top

Foul all menz, but not elves, it messes up their hair and isn't polite.
tussock

Post   Posted: Aug 21, 2019 - 04:58 Reply with quote Back to top

Just remember, kids, the hardest thing about fouling for 16 turns, is having an opposing player on the deck and in reach every single turn. Even with a riot it's hard to foul 16 times in a game.

It's especially hard with a few DPs about the place, because odds are pretty good you'll pitch clear them long before that.

Post   Posted: Aug 21, 2019 - 08:11 Reply with quote Back to top

I take the same approach as I do with voting in elections.

Foul early. Foul often
PurpleChest

Post   Posted: Aug 21, 2019 - 10:19
FUMBBL Staff

There are times not to foul.

I have no problem with being fouled every turn, even turn 16, or 24. I don't mind people fouling legends or rookies, monsters or minnows. Foul for position, advantage, pleasure, fluff or character. Foul for revenge, all good with me. I even get that when people say 'I'll leave them down, please stop fouling' they may be lying, so foul if you like.

And I have always agreed that if it was called 'Ground Blitz' instead of 'foul', people would have less of an issue with it.

But there are times not to foul.

When exactly is up to you and your personal choices, and I try not to think badly of people for exercising their right to a choice within the game.

But:
Any time the risk to your game winning is greater than the reward from fouling. Don't foul maybe?
A league game where the opponent will next face your biggest challenge for the season. Fouling? not so smart.
A game against someone who loves their team and has expressed that, and all threatening pieces are off the pitch. Fouling? Maybe no.
A team you are role playing as trying to win with honour? then fouling shoudn't be default.
A game vs a new player, who is attached too their very first team and already well beaten. Fouling? I wouldn't.

Now you can argue with each of those extreme examples. I might even agree the noob needs to learn to let the pixels go, that fluff playing is stupid, and that anyone huggling a pixel and dreaming of it at night deserves it dead. But hopefully as you read them through you contemplated at least one scenario and thought, yeah maybe not then.

It seems we are racing to be coolest fouliest coach. There are times not to foul.

Post   Posted: Aug 21, 2019 - 11:20 Reply with quote Back to top

Its been so long since I have seen a fouling thread here... /// gets the popcorn ///

Wasnt the biggest thread on fumbbl about fouling? 120 pages or so?? We're just getting started!
koadah

Post   Posted: Aug 21, 2019 - 11:48 Reply with quote Back to top

I would have expected the longest thread to be about CPOMB, but I expect that fouling threads would have been popular under LRB4.

Our threads are pretty lightweight compared to some of the old Cyanide CPOMB threads.

Post   Posted: Aug 21, 2019 - 12:13 Reply with quote Back to top

Fouling well is hard so everyone should be glad when the opponent does it. You have to have enough assists to counter the risk of getting sent off. In order to have enough assists you often have to make sacrifices with positioning.

Getting it all right is often beautiful. The perfect foul.
bghandras

Post   Posted: Aug 21, 2019 - 16:05 Reply with quote Back to top

Foul. Then apologize for the rudeness of your player having committed the foul. Then state the last sentence was a joke.

Post   Posted: Aug 21, 2019 - 17:24 Reply with quote Back to top

I think more than someone fouling being annoying it can be that it is annoying when they appear to be lucky with fouling. If someone does 3 fouls with no sending off and takes 2 or 3 of your players off the pitch it can seem like the game is going against you. A bit like the kick off table that some randomness can cause big problems some times. But the option for the foul randomness is there, so can't really criticize those who try it.
T16 is always up for debate, but if you want someone to be wary of your boots next time..

PC's points on not going too hard on new players, or perhaps considering if your opponent is playing another key league opponent next match, make sense.
New players should understand fouling is allowed, but don't need people pitch clearing them before they find their feet.

Last edited by garyt1 on Aug 22, 2019 - 00:08; edited 1 time in total
MenonaLoco

Post   Posted: Aug 21, 2019 - 18:57 Reply with quote Back to top

Last edited by MenonaLoco on Oct 23, 2021 - 23:35; edited 1 time in total
Gaurhir

Post   Posted: Aug 21, 2019 - 20:04 Reply with quote Back to top

I don't like fouling so perhaps what I say next is therefore subjective

New players / newish players do not need to be stomped into the ground. This is bad for growing the popularity of the game and the site.

To all of the above who have advocated "wash your teeth and foul" "have your tea and foul" "go for a walk and foul" regardless of any other consideration you are to my mind [Please see above for my own personal view on fouling] creating a real issue along the lines of "This is not fun for me I have better ways of spending my free time".

My two cents
 Jump to: