22 coaches online • Server time: 07:19
Forum Chat
Recent Forum Topics goto Post Theory-craft Leaguegoto Post On-spot substitution...goto Post Juggernaut as counte...
SearchSearch 
View previous topic Log in to check your private messages View next topic
Archpeasant

Post   Posted: May 12, 2021 - 21:35 Reply with quote Back to top

Records are fun. Not just "highest ever" records but also "what has been happening" records.

Since BB2020 fundamentally changes some team- and player-persistence related mechanics, I have been wondering about a few things:

1.) Will the player "top" leaderboards start over (perhaps keeping the old version as separate archives)?

Since agent fees will make it impossible to maintain old players past a certain point, a lot of the current top positions may become unbeatable - or in any case, would require even more sacrifice to beat than they currently do.

It may be difficult to find a good "cutoff" rule to make this happen (for example, debog can be redrafted into 2020), but a fresh rush at leaderboards might be fun for everyone involved. Maybe exclude all players redrafted from 2016 from the new ladders?

2.) With SPP being "spent", will there still be a "total SPP earned" stat somewhere? How else would we know the brightest stars?

3.) Will teams keep track of their total games played and W/D/L ratios, as well as the current season's?

4.) Will there be a "reset" button alongside the "redraft" button? Sometimes one might like to reset back to 1000TV and start over fresh. All new players, nothing carried over but the name and logo (and the "total games played and total W/D/L").

From a purely mechanical point of view, you might as well make a new "throwaway" team - but teams with history and fluff are fun to look at, and this would allow them to persist. If the season mechanic is coming anyway, would there be any harm?

5.) How will large tournaments work? Will the games played during not count towards "games played" in terms of forcing a redraft? Does that mean there would be a forced redraft whenever you fail out of the tournament, otherwise you could go tourney-to-tourney and still reach 3000TV like today?

Since I'm already on the soapbox I'd like to say, I feel like the "20k agent's fee per redrafted season" should say "but no more than the base cost of the player", so your Legend Snots could live eternal, shiny and green. But that's beside the point.

Finally, I should stress I understand it's an enormous undertaking to transition over to BB2020 at all, might not happen very soon, and the points above probably don't rank very high in the to-do list regardless. The above is just thoughts I wanted to share in the hopes that people had their own thoughts to respond with. FUMBBL is an amazing platform, regardless of rulesets et al.
C0ddlefish

Post   Posted: May 12, 2021 - 22:41 Reply with quote Back to top

Isn't no.4 an option with every redraft anyway, just don't spend the full redraft budget?
pokrjax

Post   Posted: May 13, 2021 - 00:25 Reply with quote Back to top

I feel like 5 has been answered somewhere.
Nelphine

Post   Posted: May 13, 2021 - 01:07 Reply with quote Back to top

I think 1 would be fairly difficult to implement, unless you did it purely by time - and even that could have badly unintended consequences. For instance, I plan to redraft Shindahl until he dies, even if I end up only drafting 10 skinks with him. So, in theory he could be 8 or 10 seasons (of bb2020) old, PLUS 150+ games in bb2016. How does that fit into your leaderboards? Should he really not be on it because he was around for bb2016? If he has 150+ games under bb2020 isn't that still worth being on the leaderboard? (Assume for the sake of argument he manages not to die of course)
Fuel

Post   Posted: May 13, 2021 - 10:08 Reply with quote Back to top

Honestly i would wipe all teams or put every team in legacy format if coach wants to keep it.
for stats i would put old records in record book of old times and start new record book.
cause even with redrafts its possible to keep old legendary players for 4-5 seassons maybe even 6. so we are not losin them anytime soon. Coaches will cling to them for Tournaments no matter what. And the longer you keep them the more usefull they become.
I thinks this is the main problem with letting old teams redraft and not wipe them out.
Archpeasant

Post   Posted: May 13, 2021 - 11:50 Reply with quote Back to top

The difference with 4 and a "low redraft" is that a "reset" team could be eligible to participate in RRR tournaments, if it were automatically flagged as a fresh start from zero. I don't know how difficult this would be to implement of course, or whether it fits the RRR concept (since IRL teams can move to lower conferences in some sports it seems OK?).

Perhaps the difference between "old" and "new" leaderboards could be made up so that the players redrafted from 2016 can still reach higher spots in the "old" leaderboard for as long as they are alive. Meanwhile only new hires can go into the "new" one. This might be a colossal headache to implement.
mekutata

Post   Posted: May 13, 2021 - 11:57 Reply with quote Back to top

Just save the old records as a legacy and start counting for every player anew under BB20 rules.