50 coaches online • Server time: 00:05
Forum Chat
Recent Forum Topics goto Post New Gnones vs Old Gn...goto Post FUMBBL HAIKU'Sgoto Post Custom Icon, Portrai...
SearchSearch 
View previous topic Log in to check your private messages View next topic
pac

Post   Posted: Aug 08, 2007 - 15:43 Reply with quote Back to top

There have been mutterings among a number of White Isle League coaches for some time about wanting the league to run on a faster turn-around than the current 10/11 days. I myself would quite like this - however, I have to accept that the majority of league coaches feel that they need that extra margin which a week and a half allows. The 10-day turn-around also makes it much easier to work around holidays of two weeks (or even longer), allowing the league to continue all year round.

However, I have been considering setting up a parallel league for the 'hard core', with a faster turn-around of 7 days, to satisfy the desire of many coaches for more [L]eague action in a similar format.

In addition, the White Isle League is rapidly reaching the point (64 coaches) where it would be difficult to see how it could continue to expand without becoming unwieldy, and without promotion to the top division (let alone winning it) becoming an unrealistic target for most of those in the league. A second league system would open up more slots and more opportunities.

The main questions at this point are:

How many coaches would be interested in a league with a faster turnaround like this? (This includes both current WIL coaches and potential new coaches.)

What other features could this league have to distinguish it from the White Isle League? There are lots of possibilities here, but I don't want to preempt discussion by putting down everything that occurs to me yet. One thing that would be necessary, in conjunction with the 7-day turn-around, would be a 'zero tolerance' attitude to those who miss games.

All discussion is welcome here - at some point we could also schedule an IRC debate about it in #whiteisle (or just have one off-the-cuff there at any time, in fact).

A set of draft rules is being drawn up here.

Confirmed applications and picks:

1 Chewie: Skaven
2 Wotfudboy: Chaos Dwarves
3 pac: Wood Elves
4 MrNomad: Humans
5 Purplegoo: Amazons
6 Unstoffe: Lizardmen
7 AndyBurns: Orcs
8 Cpt_Fluffy: Skaven
9 PandaPower: Elves
10 PeteW: Chaos Dwarves
11 spubbbba: Nurgle
12 Mirascael: Lizardmen
13 Russo: Undead
14 phil78: Norse
15 DukeTyrion: Orcs
16 zombificus: Undead
17 Emphasy: Humans
18 GrinningD: High Elves
19 Astarael: Ogres
20 Ludovicious: Norse

Some coaches did not give me a pick from each category - they got a random pick for the empty categories! Very Happy

Draw will be Sunday, 1700 bb time in #WhiteIsle. Be there if you want to make the roll to determine your own fate!

Last edited by pac on %b %12, %2007 - %17:%Aug; edited 12 times in total
PeteW

Post   Posted: Aug 08, 2007 - 15:51 Reply with quote Back to top

Zero tolerance ftw!

/me is in! Can I have CDs please pac?

Post   Posted: Aug 08, 2007 - 15:54 Reply with quote Back to top

\o_ Would join up. I'm less likely to retire DFTS if they go down and there's another quality WIL type affair running in parallel!

As for distinguishing features, opening it up to the rest of Europe is the one that sticks out immediately. Team skill restrictions I firmly believe should be a no-no in a scheduled league.

I'm available for dogsbody action too.
DukeTyrion

Post   Posted: Aug 08, 2007 - 16:09 Reply with quote Back to top

I would be quite happy in a league with a 3 day let alone 7, I am forever waiting for other players to catch up!

If there is a space, I would like to join with Orcs ... apart from anything, the option of a fresh league start appeals.

I would need to ask if I have to maintain team in both leagues though, as I am considering retiring my Rats at the end of the season.
Russo

Post   Posted: Aug 08, 2007 - 16:10 Reply with quote Back to top

I am interested in playing too, I will have Undead if you please.

7 day rounds are good.

On the idea of foreign coaches I only think the 7 day round will work if they can play 1800-2300 GMT on the whole.

By allowing different timezones in we start hitting the biggest problems with scheduling games quickly.

Purplegoo wrote:

Well Purps mine is a tea, no sugar and milky..or is that..."bitty"

[21:35] <@Purp|away> why is it whenever I come to check the PC, Russo is lowering the tone?! Razz
================================
[22:59] <princevaliant> NBL has gotten to be such a dirty channel
[22:59] <princevaliant> ty Russo Very Happy

BiggieB is my idol
pac

Post   Posted: Aug 08, 2007 - 16:12 Reply with quote Back to top

DukeTyrion wrote:
I would need to ask if I have to maintain team in both leagues though, as I am considering retiring my Rats at the end of the season.

I think coaches would be free to run teams in one, both (or neither!) - subject to availability of spots in each.

Edit: BTW, the three requests for teams so far have all been for bashy (Rock) ones (and I wanted Dwarves too!). Some kind of draft system, although not necessarily the same one or the same categories/quotas as WIL, would be needed.

Last edited by pac on %b %08, %2007 - %16:%Aug; edited 1 time in total
Kyyberi

Post   Posted: Aug 08, 2007 - 16:12 Reply with quote Back to top

Purplegoo wrote:

I'm not british, so I don't know what this means. But it sounds like something 18+ rated stuff...

Post   Posted: Aug 08, 2007 - 16:14 Reply with quote Back to top

LOL dogsbody, is someone who does all the running and fetching for the master...as in servant.

But knowing what I know about pac and Purps I can assure you kyyberi you are right!

Laughing

[21:35] <@Purp|away> why is it whenever I come to check the PC, Russo is lowering the tone?! Razz
================================
[22:59] <princevaliant> NBL has gotten to be such a dirty channel
[22:59] <princevaliant> ty Russo Very Happy

BiggieB is my idol
Purplegoo

Post   Posted: Aug 08, 2007 - 16:16 Reply with quote Back to top

Kyyberi wrote:
Purplegoo wrote:

I'm not british, so I don't know what this means. But it sounds like something 18+ rated stuff...

General helper outer. Smile

I think the term means somebody from the Navy who had to shut up and do as he was told, even when the job was crappy, but I use it in it's more light-hearted context! Razz
Emphasy

Post   Posted: Aug 08, 2007 - 16:24 Reply with quote Back to top

sounds cool, im game if the human spot is still open:)
MrNomad

Post   Posted: Aug 08, 2007 - 16:24 Reply with quote Back to top

I for one would welcome any league that has a fast turnaround on league games. While I am not European I have no problems getting my games in with European players. In fact all my current leagues I am waiting on others to play. Smile
Wotfudboy

Post   Posted: Aug 08, 2007 - 16:47 Reply with quote Back to top

Count me in... As long as the coaches are reliable and not likely to drop out after a beating.

Chaos Dwarves for me! Wink

Post   Posted: Aug 08, 2007 - 17:22 Reply with quote Back to top

Yeah I would love to get involved in this... could play with something a bit more exciting than dwarves this time too... Although long live the stunts!
koadah

Post   Posted: Aug 08, 2007 - 17:45 Reply with quote Back to top

Umm... Good luck Pac. This will be as big as White Isle in no time. Wink

Post   Posted: Aug 08, 2007 - 17:46 Reply with quote Back to top

It would be good to be really harsh too, imo. If a coach can't get his game played then there has to be considerable effort made in the first place and a good reason, or the coach gets booted! Hopefully with WhiteIsle as a proving ground we can start things off with committed coaches.