56 coaches online • Server time: 17:09
Forum Chat
Recent Forum Topics goto Post Gnome Roster - how a...goto Post How open file jnlp?goto Post Gnomes are trash
SearchSearch 
View previous topic Log in to check your private messages View next topic
Unlife

Post   Posted: Sep 30, 2008 - 05:00 Reply with quote Back to top

Hello Smile

I recently gave a try at playing MtG over the internet (using free softwares). I didn't find any site that allow you to manage a "virtual" collection of cards tho ... But all the tools are available.

Quick description:

Players who join the "league" will have some credits to buy some boosters. They will build a deck with the cards they got and play against each other in a tourney or for casual games. After a tourney, everyone who gots in will get some more credits but of course the better they did the more they'll get. When a tourney isn't running, players will be allowed to trade.

The client that will be used to play the games, there is two possible ones. But let me state something important first: since they are free they almost don't provide rules enforcement ... Means it's up to the player to play the cards as they should be. However they provide a lot of visual tools for it to go smoothly, I tested it and it works great. In fact it's faster and maybe even smoother than softwares that enforce the rules (like shandalar or mtg: online).

Magic workstation (MWS for short) is probably the best one, but isn't 100% free. You can play quite ok with the evaluation version but you have limited features.

Apprentice isn't far behind and is 100% free. That's my pick atm.

To get it running, there a few steps to check ...

Step 1: Such a league on FUMBBL?

Idealy, each player would have a team created on FUMBBL to represent their mage. Hence we can have a group and all the good things that come with it (group PM, tourney schedule, team's bio for trading information, etc). However I'm not sure it would be ok with Christer. What do you guys think about it?

Don't forget that, as bloodbowl, they might be copyright issues ... However there is already several sites that provide a structure to play MtG without being bothered by WotC. But none of them allow the gestion of a "virtual" collection. Not like the league will allow a few thousands of players to do that tho Very Happy

Step 2: Players?

Are some of you interrested in joining such a "league"? Without players it would be meaningless Wink On the other hand I don't think I can manage too many ... I won't get past 16 for sure but I doubt this problem will arise Wink Also don't forget you have to know the rules ... Those softwares are easy and smooth to use IF you know how to play tabletop MtG. It might be very difficult if you have to learn both.

Step 3: What rules/extensions?

Those familiar with MtG should already know about T1, T2, etc ... To put it the short way, T1 means you can play with (almost) all the cards and other formats have custom limitations.

I'd say we go T1, with all the available extensions. Even if you can play all the cards, the most powerful ones are restricted (not more than 1 of each in a deck). I stoped playing when vision came out, means there is a LOT of cards I never saw, and it might be fun to discover them. But to stick with the "old" ones is another good option. Those interrested in joining, tell me what you think.

About deck's format, we could have two different kind of tourneys with 40 or 60 cards limitations.

Step 4: Some other details

- Should the collections be reseted once in a while to allow new players and/or replacements?
- How should the credit system exactly work?
- Tournament format? I was thinking something like round robin, but will depends on how many players the league gets.
- Game deadlines? A MtG game is faster than a bb to play, even tho the winner would be decided to the best of 3. Might be easier to find a schedule ... Even if I doubt it, so probably 1 week deadline.
- How the files should be hosted? There is some free site that allow file hosting around, but would probably better if we get a FTP ... Well those free sites will do well to have things started Wink

To put it short, MtG on Fummbl:
- Yes / No
- Interrested / Not
SillySod

Post   Posted: Sep 30, 2008 - 14:23 Reply with quote Back to top

When I get bck online (next monday) I'll definately want in. However I think that running it publicly from FUMBBL would be a bit of a no, certainly you should restrict yourself to offtopic/wikis/groups Smile

I dont know how to play tabletop MtG but I'm pretty quick at picking up rules and stuff so it shouldnt be a problem, there are some handy get you started videos on the Magic website in any case.

"There are those to whom knowledge is a shield. There are those to whom it is a weapon. Neither view is balanced."
CircularLogic

Post   Posted: Sep 30, 2008 - 14:35 Reply with quote Back to top

I`m in. I could get my bro to play, too... we both played tabletop, but buying cards and managing the collection takes too much cash and time.
Kinks

Post   Posted: Sep 30, 2008 - 14:41 Reply with quote Back to top

Dunno
Interested

Smile

Post   Posted: Sep 30, 2008 - 14:49 Reply with quote Back to top

ill sign up Smile

i also liked the Vampire, the eternal struggle tourney format...

you attacked the person on your right, and the person on ur left attacked you. you only got a point, if u killed ur target. if you killed someone else's target, it was their point, not yours...

The Congregation - Always Recruiting
[url=http://igolocal.net/badge.php?user_id=1949]Image [/url]
SeraphimRed

Post   Posted: Sep 30, 2008 - 14:51 Reply with quote Back to top

I'd give it a shot. I was into it in a big way a long time ago, before they spoiled it by bringing out a million expansions a year. Sad

Enhance YOUR FUMBBL

Rijssiej

Post   Posted: Sep 30, 2008 - 15:13 Reply with quote Back to top

I wouldn't mind giving it a try.
I sold my mtg to pay my university tuition a couple of years ago. Wink
Unlife

Post   Posted: Sep 30, 2008 - 15:57 Reply with quote Back to top

Well, seems there is enough players around to have something running Wink

SillySod wrote:
I think that running it publicly from FUMBBL would be a bit of a no, certainly you should restrict yourself to offtopic/wikis/groups Smile

I aggree, I'd still like to get a firm answer but I also doubt it would be possible. I don't see a way to manage this efficiently thru a forum thread only tho ... Unless we restrict ourselves to sealed deck tournaments without being able to manage a collection. I didn't think about the wiki tho, might investigate a bit but ideas are more than welcome here.

Maybe, the best option is to start a simple tournament as stated above. In a thread, off-topic. Then depending on how good it was, take it a step higher or not.

SillySod wrote:
I dont know how to play tabletop MtG but I'm pretty quick at picking up rules and stuff so it shouldnt be a problem, there are some handy get you started videos on the Magic website in any case.

Basic rules are easy, but it can soon become very complicated. However, I don't think it will be a problem indeed, might loose you some games tho Wink But make sure you know the basics !

LordSnotball wrote:
i also liked the Vampire, the eternal struggle tourney format...

Never tried it, sounds like fun Very Happy How do you pair the players after first round?

SeraphimRed wrote:
I'd give it a shot. I was into it in a big way a long time ago, before they spoiled it by bringing out a million expansions a year. Sad

I felt the same Laughing Didn't play since vision, just came back from some free online play. No more spending money !

What you should read:

So, in a few days I'll start two threads in the off-topic section. One with the links to the software and tutorials with some explanations (no worries, nothing complicated really) and another with a signup thread for a sealed deck tournament. Basicaly it means everyone will get a given number of boosters and will have to build a deck with. Basic lands are free. About the format I'm thinking about something along those lines:

- 40 cards minimum in a deck, 4 of the same card maximum (but basic lands)
- 10 cards in a sidedeck (to switch depending on what you face beetween rounds)
- No other limitations, call that T0 Wink

And about the cards:

- 4 boosters and 2 starters of the extension(s)/edition(s) you choose (usualy everyone gets the same, why not like this?) ...

or a fixed format mixing both the older and newer cards like:

- 1 Alpha starter, 1 Shadowmoor starter, 2 arabian nights boosters, 2 shards of alara boosters (that would probably be my pick anyway, sounds like fun)

If you'd like something different, say it now Wink
shadow46x2

Post   Posted: Sep 30, 2008 - 16:02 Reply with quote Back to top

while the idea looks fun and i hope it works out...

this belongs in off-topic

--j

ImageImage
SeraphimRed

Post   Posted: Sep 30, 2008 - 16:35 Reply with quote Back to top

What client are you proposing to use?

As for format, I think any to get the ball rolling would suffice then we could modify as required.

EDIT:: You're likely right Shadow, but now it'll get little exposure due to not appearing on recent topics on an otherwise slow posting day. Sad

Curse your moderating efficiency, didn't you used to be a slacker? Razz

Enhance YOUR FUMBBL

SillySod

Post   Posted: Sep 30, 2008 - 18:37 Reply with quote Back to top

The wikis could be very useful to keep deck information with - you could have a main wiki which held all the rules and had links to a personal wiki for each player. The player pages would then display all of the cards they currently held and maybe some deck inormation or something.

Although I dont know a great deal about MtG, how about.....
- we each start with a certain number of boosters (or whatever)
- each week we get given a new booster (maybe from a different expansion)
- we are allowed to trade cards at any point but can only use any new cards gained in this way in the next round rather than the current one
- we play some sort of tournament, either round robin or swiss style

This way you might not have to give people so many boosters - they'ed be forced to trade between each other to get full blue/green decks etc, potentially limiting the amount of each colour in the league (which seems interesting and helps add banter and chat). The new boosters each week would add a bit more to the mix to help keep it varied and give rookies like me some new good cards to squander after I blow them all in week 1 Very Happy

I have no idea about what deck formats should be used or how much should be concealed from other players, I think we should at least be able to see their collection.

"There are those to whom knowledge is a shield. There are those to whom it is a weapon. Neither view is balanced."
Chewie

Post   Posted: Sep 30, 2008 - 20:30 Reply with quote Back to top

SeraphimRed wrote:

As for format, I think any to get the ball rolling would suffice then we could modify as required.

EDIT:: You're likely right Shadow, but now it'll get little exposure due to not appearing on recent topics on an otherwise slow posting day. Sad

Curse your moderating efficiency, didn't you used to be a slacker? Razz

USED to be???? Razz
Unlife

Post   Posted: Oct 01, 2008 - 13:54 Reply with quote Back to top

SeraphinRed wrote:

Magic WorkStation most probably. After some more games I'm now convinced the "limited" and free version is a lot better than the full (and free too) version of apprentice ... And by quite a large margin.

I'm decided on the format now, the signup thread will be posted soon.

@ SillySod:

It might be the way things will work after the first tournament. But to get things started, I'll start with a sealed deck one. You all will get like 150 cards (wich isn't that much) with some control over the extensions they are from, will build a deck with those (no trading yet), and play a 4 rounds tourney. Players will be able to keep those cards for later use, and the wiki sounds like a very good thing to deal with that indeed.

As we already agreed, to use a FUMBBL group to handle the tourney wouldn't be a "good" idea ... But in your oppinion, one to be able to send group PM only? Or use the one dedicated to forum games? Not sure everyone here wanna be updated about what happens in the magic tournaments.
Kill-Kill

Post   Posted: Oct 02, 2008 - 02:15 Reply with quote Back to top

I played back when 6th edition was still new, still have a killer green deck lying around (Living Terrain with 10 forrests <33). If you need more players, and have someone willing to reteach me the rules I could do it

But you made up the reasons to fight
 Jump to: