33 coaches online • Server time: 12:33
Forum Chat
Recent Forum Topics goto Post Secret Stunty Cup IVgoto Post FUMBBL HAIKU'Sgoto Post Gnomes are trash
SearchSearch 
View previous topic Log in to check your private messages View next topic
CorporateSlave3

Post   Posted: Feb 05, 2009 - 16:02 Reply with quote Back to top

Having never made it through a Major qualifier, there is one thing I'm not certain about having (mostly) read all these posts...Is it normally the case that you have to apply again to the main tourney after winning your qualifier? Or was that 'new' for this W.O. due to the lack of admin powers available? Not that a crud coach like me will probably ever need to know this for personal use... Confused

Post   Posted: Feb 05, 2009 - 16:07
FUMBBL Staff
Reply with quote Back to top

The procedure has always been that you had to apply. however Angie was able to use her admin status to circumvent this and force join anyone that didnt apply. I cant.

People probably got used to her doing that. I do not have those powers.

Edit: And nor do i seek them.

Last edited by PurpleChest on %b %05, %2009 - %16:%Feb; edited 1 time in total
Diddyboy

Post   Posted: Feb 05, 2009 - 16:09 Reply with quote Back to top

so lets give PurpleChest more power to avoid this in the future even tho its the coaches own fault that they missed the end of the tourney
rostern

Post   Posted: Feb 05, 2009 - 16:27 Reply with quote Back to top

If they miss it it's sad but ti's their own problem so no more power to purple
Meech

Post   Posted: Feb 05, 2009 - 16:40 Reply with quote Back to top

Purplechest Power grab!!!!!!

Post   Posted: Feb 05, 2009 - 16:43 Reply with quote Back to top

Uberskiller wrote:
There are 2 choices now:
a) Punish these 4 for a minor mistake and have a less exciting major.
b) Excuse the minor mistake of these 4, make a re-draw and have a very exciting high-classed tournament.

Guess that's not it. If I am not completely mistaken Purple doesn't want to "punish" anyone.
He applies the rules that were made not to punish but to ensure the smooth running of the tourney.

A sad loss nonetheless.

Suggestion:
Have them play a tourney- maybe even among them and other "golden tickets"- for the (inofficial) right to challenge the winner of the WO IV. Of course this wouldn't be an official part of the WO IV- yet it would be quite fluffy and entertaining. Just the stuff legends are made off ;-]
harvestmouse

Post   Posted: Feb 05, 2009 - 17:17 Reply with quote Back to top

Agreed. This is a game for fun, lets not ruin it. 1 coach maybe his dumb, 4 obviously a misunderstanding. Redraw it.

koadah wrote:
If almost 1/3 of the qualifiers are missing due to a misunderstanding surely there should be a redraw.

I think people should hold off playing until it is sorted.
Bytez0r

Post   Posted: Feb 05, 2009 - 17:42 Reply with quote Back to top

this is sad. it was lucky that i applied to the group, i was chilling threw chat and saw emphasy talking about it, otherwise i wouldent have applied eather.
that information wassent easy to get around.
a redraw should deffently be made..

and no, i dont care who i draw, so dont suggest that. just replace those lottery tickets with those who earned it the fair way. this way the turney is ruined..
shadow46x2

Post   Posted: Feb 05, 2009 - 20:32 Reply with quote Back to top

harvestmouse wrote:
Agreed. This is a game for fun, lets not ruin it. 1 coach maybe his dumb, 4 obviously a misunderstanding. Redraw it.

koadah wrote:
If almost 1/3 of the qualifiers are missing due to a misunderstanding surely there should be a redraw.

I think people should hold off playing until it is sorted.

and what about the other coaches who won their qualifier who *did* apply to the tournament?...

did they misunderstand the rules as well?...

--j

ImageImage
UberEvil

Post   Posted: Feb 05, 2009 - 23:51 Reply with quote Back to top

I really think a few PM's could have been sent out. And now that no PM's were sent, the draw could have been delayed a single 24 hours to try to catch the missing coaches. It's the main draw ffs! Of course it was ultimately their own faults for not applying, but I'd like to see some slack being cut, if only in tiny pieces.
Wreckage

Post   Posted: Feb 06, 2009 - 00:04 Reply with quote Back to top

I talked with purplechest about my offer to replace my team with a finalist champion and he was very helpfull and tried to explain the situation to me...

it seems that despite all errors that were made on both sides, the draw has been made and the result stands as it is. if the procedure itself was a good idea is very questionable but it was made that way and we have to live with it. if you have read purplechest latest news you will know that he will try to avoid this from happening in the future ...its time to move on
Haxtor

Post   Posted: Feb 06, 2009 - 00:12 Reply with quote Back to top

This is just my opinion, and it comes after the fact that it was stated a redraw would not be happening, but having a redraw would be the worst option to choose from Purplechest's perspective. For whatever reason those four coaches did not follow the rules to make the main draw, it doesn't matter what those reasons were. To redraw after the fact is to start down the proverbial "slippery slope" of having to deal with a possible redraw in every consecutive major, with the alternative being that those four are showed preferential treatment as stated by calcium. In order to maintain a fair an unbiased, as much as possible, tournament system we as a community have to support and abide by the rules as stated.
Again it's my opinion, but the optimal solution is to proceed with the WO as drawn and in the future take the additional steps as outlined by PC of sending out PM reminders if that is not too cumbersome.
As a sidenote it's kind of funny to see noobs asking questions and just getting links posted to them to refer too, but in a situation like this most people feel the vet coaches should have been pampered by getting pm's about the site rules.
Jokaero

Post   Posted: Feb 06, 2009 - 11:37 Reply with quote Back to top

Bytez0r wrote:
just replace those lottery tickets with those who earned it the fair way. this way the turney is ruined..

so applying for the lottery was unfair then and deserves punishment by taking away again their spot? Confused
I felt the same when I had to face TR400 multi-claw-rsc birthday teams in round 1 or 2 in 3 majors in a row.
JanMattys

Post   Posted: Feb 06, 2009 - 12:01 Reply with quote Back to top

Haxtor wrote:
As a sidenote it's kind of funny to see noobs asking questions and just getting links posted to them to refer too, but in a situation like this most people feel the vet coaches should have been pampered by getting pm's about the site rules.

When four (out of thirteen) long time members and veterans of Fumbbl who have taken part in multiple tournaments and Majors fail to spot the right procedure, that speaks a lot in favour of a communication problem as opposed to simple lazyness or n00bness, though. I think this is a fact.
And it's not about pampering the veterans... it's about finding what went wrong (which, again, doesn't seem to be just a case of lazyness and n00bness) in order not to let it happen again. Which means a safer procedure to save *all* coaches in the future (and not just vets) from making the same mistake.

That said, of course it's their fault more than it's a communication problem's fault. The "strike one to educate one hundred" is as good an answer as any other.

Post   Posted: Feb 06, 2009 - 14:48 Reply with quote Back to top

JanMattys wrote:
When four (out of thirteen) long time members and veterans of Fumbbl who have taken part in multiple tournaments and Majors fail to spot the right procedure, that speaks a lot in favour of a communication problem as opposed to simple lazyness or n00bness, though. I think this is a fact.

and what about the other 9 long time members and veterans who have taken part in multiple tournaments and majors that *didn't* fail to spot the right procedure?...

jesus christ people....have we really gotten to the point that every coach on here needs their hand held through everything?...what about personal accountability?..

the info was posted multiple times, and had its own news story on the front page of the site *AND* on every coach's home page...

if you were involved in a tournament, and you saw a news article that had news about your tournament in bold text, no less, listed on your home page, wouldn't you go read, to see what's up?....wouldn't lack of reading insinuate "laziness"?...or maybe apathy?...

there was no communication problem....the information was put out there in plain view for *everyone* to see...and obviously plenty of people saw it and acted on it....

--j

ImageImage
 Jump to: