57 coaches online • Server time: 15:52
Forum Chat
Recent Forum Topics goto Post Gnomes are trashgoto Post FUMBBL HAIKU'Sgoto Post Gnome Roster - how a...
SearchSearch 
View previous topic Log in to check your private messages View next topic
James_Probert

Post   Posted: May 31, 2010 - 19:45 Reply with quote Back to top

Reisender wrote:
edit: i remember someone posted sth about a tool for discussions like this - does anyone remember where as it would be really helpful

Yep. It was playcreator.com

Post   Posted: May 31, 2010 - 19:54 Reply with quote Back to top

I often use the "everybody stands on the back line" defence because it is quick, easy, and hard for me to cock up. It also protects vital players from unlikely but unfortunate accidents.

Eventually you are going to have to consider the effects of frenzy and grab but lets keep it simple for now.

Purplegoo wrote:
There is a fashionable setup amongst some TT types I play with that looks something like this;

_ _ _ _ | X X_ X _ _ _ | _ _ _ _

_ _ _ _ | _ _ _ _ _ _ _| _ _ _ _

_ X _ _ | X _ _ X _ _ X| _ _ _ _

Those mancs are funny Smile How about...

_ X _ _ | X _ _ X _ _ T| _ _ _ _

Extending the double line trades a 4+ dodge for two 3+ dodges (if the oneturner is AG4) so is better as long as the oneturner is not AG5 or higher. Potentially they could slip out of the right side of the trap with one dodge less but if you have a single dedicated tackler (DT/tentacles) then placing it in either of the T positions would resolve this problem.

PS, having looked at the issue briefly I think that the most important thing to consider is the correct formation of the LOS. You can only start to think about the best way to block the oneturn attempt once you know where the oneturner is going to be starting their run and what squares an attacker needs access to to setup the pushes in the first place.

"There are those to whom knowledge is a shield. There are those to whom it is a weapon. Neither view is balanced."
Purplegoo

Post   Posted: May 31, 2010 - 19:56 Reply with quote Back to top

Celyn wrote:
4/36 for a 9, not something I really take into account. If it happens, it's not good but it doesn't invalidate the defense completely.

Well, adding a 1/9 to proceedings is worth thinking about. I have to admit, I always assume the QS is coming, so I rarely have the guys only a square back. That's not something I've ever sat and worked out (hence the thread), it's just seemed natural to me to assume QS is coming, if that makes sense? When we get the 'best' setup, the 1/9 will be factored in, I guess.

Agreed, Reis. We can do better than everyone a square away from the EZ. I'll have a bash at #2 later, it looks tough at first look.

SillySod wrote:
Those mancs are funny Smile

I can't remember now whether that line is there or not (the free row), I'm doubting my memory, but I have heard it described as the 'best' D. I think we have a wider pool here to see if that's true. Wink
Celyn

Post   Posted: May 31, 2010 - 20:02 Reply with quote Back to top

The way I see it is that QS will always help the offence, at least somewhat, regardless of defensive plan, and it's rare enough that optimising for the other 8/9 cases has better value.
Reisender

Post   Posted: May 31, 2010 - 20:14 Reply with quote Back to top

just had a short look at my #2 myself (thanks for the playcreator link) -> i guess its nice vs ma 8 but fails vs ma9...

@ sillysod: shouldnt the guys in row 2 be directly behind LOS to make pushs harder?

DukeTyrion

Post   Posted: May 31, 2010 - 20:22 Reply with quote Back to top

I sometimes use;

_ _ _ _ | _ _ X X X _ _ | _ _ _ _

_ _ _ _ | X X _ _ _ X X | _ _ _ _

_ _ _ X | _ _ _ X _ _ _ | X _ _ _

_ _ _ _ | _ _ _ X _ _ _ | _ _ _ _

Works quite well for me with a couple of guards in among them.
Reisender

Post   Posted: May 31, 2010 - 20:28 Reply with quote Back to top

i like this duke tyrion

have seen sth like this for chaos and orcs

_ _ _ _ | _ _ 5 X 5 _ _ | _ _ _ _

_ _ _ _ | G G _ _ _ G G | _ _ _ _

for rats it is a pain to push st5 (or4) with 2 guards (with 5 being a troll and a +st chaoswarrior or the like) and G being guarders
asharak

Post   Posted: May 31, 2010 - 20:37 Reply with quote Back to top

not a fan of the 2-gap-1 LOS, doesn't make pushing all that much harder and makes QS much more useful. Also, as observed, vs woodies they'll happily run round the empty side, easy enough to push that far. Still one bad dodge. Woodies with a frenzy would love you for that setup Smile no bad dodges at all. That said, you did say no stat ups or doubles.
Skaven with ROgre would still be a threat to that setup, though relying on a big guy for anything = trouble.

Open up a few doubles though and I actually prefer that to the straight line across the back - daunt (+horns if possible) blitzes can totally stuff the line at the back approach.

Generally I go for making the initial push hard but vs wardancers this still isn't great. I quite like having a spread LOS with...
Code:

____|x__x__x|____
___x|_xx_xx_|x___
__x_|_______|_x__

Again, QS makes this horrible though, and its not particularly resilient. Generally they'll set up to one side though so you can kick deep to the opposite corner (assuming Kick skill) and it'll add a slight extra bit to the rolls. Not much though, given its only a couple of squares further over than a standard setup.

Last edited by asharak on %b %31, %2010 - %20:%May; edited 1 time in total
Purplegoo

Post   Posted: May 31, 2010 - 20:37 Reply with quote Back to top

I quite like it if your oppo can't get 2D somehow pushing the edge guy of the LOS (Duke). Although, if you've got enough games played to have a couple of ST5s, I assume the Rats will have a couple of Guards and a RO to do the business!
DukeTyrion

Post   Posted: May 31, 2010 - 20:40 Reply with quote Back to top

Purplegoo wrote:
I quite like it if your oppo can't get 2D somehow pushing the edge guy of the LOS (Duke). Although, if you've got enough games played to have a couple of ST5s, I assume the Rats will have a couple of Guards and a RO to do the business!

It's not perfect by any means, but with the guards in place it causes alot of problems.

Also, with the 2 wide players and the 2 middle players (row 3 and 4) even if they get a couple of pushes in, they still have a headache trying to find space for the next stage.
asharak

Post   Posted: May 31, 2010 - 20:43 Reply with quote Back to top

Ohhh, just seen something very wrong about my setup, ignore it! Bleh.

Post   Posted: May 31, 2010 - 20:57 Reply with quote Back to top

Purplegoo wrote:

believe, at the end of the half rats wont be able to field all of them... in addition, depending on the RO for the push is very risky 1/6 fael, plus no RR on faelpush
CircularLogic

Post   Posted: May 31, 2010 - 21:33 Reply with quote Back to top

Rawlf wrote:
Purplegoo wrote:

_ _ _ _ | L L T_ C _ _

_ _ _ _ | X X_ X L _ _ | _ _ _ _

_ _ _ _ | _ _ _ _B _ _ | _ _ _ _

Purplegoo, as your woodelf opponent I'd try to attack like this.
B would push the sigular LoS guy between tree and catcher, and from there I'd chain the Catcher towards the tile above the rightmost X. From there it would be 4+2+ dodging and gfi.
So basically I'd need one push more but I get easier dodging compared to the standard EZ defense.
Or do I have this wrong somehow?

It's even easier: block down the pair and then blitz from the empty square that was formely inbetween and move the lone guy to the right and into your half. That way you can push so that the catcher just has to do a single 2+ dodge.
SillySod

Post   Posted: May 31, 2010 - 21:53 Reply with quote Back to top

Could you lose one of the back defenders? If you can do without the one on the left then you ought to be able to secure it, especially with one or two dedicated tacklers.

"There are those to whom knowledge is a shield. There are those to whom it is a weapon. Neither view is balanced."

Last edited by SillySod on %b %31, %2010 - %22:%May; edited 1 time in total
DukeTyrion

Post   Posted: May 31, 2010 - 22:02 Reply with quote Back to top

Of course, the other OTS defence to mention is Stunties.

I always setup my line 5 squares from the end zone, leaving the opponent 3 choices;

1) Land short and GFI,
2) Land on my line and have the chance to land diminshed, or
3) Aim long, but take increased chance of a fumble.
 Jump to: