41 coaches online • Server time: 13:05
Forum Chat
Recent Forum Topics goto Post FUMBBL HAIKU'Sgoto Post Gnomes are trashgoto Post Gnome Roster - how a...
SearchSearch 
View previous topic Log in to check your private messages View next topic
uuni

Post   Posted: Dec 22, 2011 - 12:24 Reply with quote Back to top

Rabe wrote:
So Safe Throw is actually a bad thing, since it increases the chance of a fumble... ;-D
Well, maybe thats why it lets you cancel the interception with an unmodified AG check, effectively giving you a reroll to the interceptions? Wink
JimmyFantastic

Post   Posted: Dec 22, 2011 - 12:31 Reply with quote Back to top

Safe throw prevents fumbles other than a natural 1 though so overall it probably reduces them.
In the old rules you could only intercept if you were near the thrower or catcher which made sense.
It's a bit silly intercepting a long bomb at the highest point!

Post   Posted: Dec 22, 2011 - 13:18 Reply with quote Back to top

JimmyFantastic wrote:

What if you are a treeman?
zakatan

Post   Posted: Dec 22, 2011 - 13:33 Reply with quote Back to top

pythrr wrote:
JimmyFantastic wrote:

What if you are a treeman?

There's a metagroup of intercepting treemen. It's on hold until the pass block skill is operational, but then they'll be the terror of the fields.
Rabe

Post   Posted: Dec 22, 2011 - 13:49 Reply with quote Back to top

Indeed! Still looking for a good name though...

Post   Posted: Dec 22, 2011 - 13:53 Reply with quote Back to top

I have been intercepted 12 times to my 6 and made 279 completions from 852 attempts though its hard to say how many pass attempts were made giving the option of intercepting, i am very concious of intercepts now and make extra rolls to avoid giving one up.

Post   Posted: Dec 22, 2011 - 14:54 Reply with quote Back to top

divino77 wrote:
I have been intercepted 12 times to my 6 and made 279 completions from 852 attempts

If the 852 is attempts then it sounds like you are playing far too much high risk play.
Cyrus-Havoc

Post   Posted: Dec 22, 2011 - 19:12 Reply with quote Back to top

On tabletop it saves making extra rolls for pass Catch scatter etc only to find they were all canceled by an interception.

Seems silly if you try to think of it as 'real' but then so does alot of other rules.

Try to forget 'real', it's about gameplay & as others have already said making interceptions slightly more common.

I have made 55 & conceded 59 in 1949 games thats .03 so hardly worth having now. If you change it it would be even less.

Post   Posted: Dec 23, 2011 - 05:16 Reply with quote Back to top

divino77 wrote:
i am very concious of intercepts now and make extra rolls to avoid giving one up.

Yeah, that's what you're supposed to do though. If I can avoid a 6+ interception by taking a gfi I do it, because in the end a 6+ interception is really just another 2+ for you, but you don't have the option to reroll, and instead of just dropping the ball, the other player has it and is ready to run.

Post   Posted: Dec 23, 2011 - 05:31 Reply with quote Back to top

Rules are made to be dumb.
On1

Post   Posted: Dec 27, 2011 - 23:07 Reply with quote Back to top

zakatan wrote:
on the bright side, if your pass is intercepted you are potentially saving a reroll for the possibly missed pass

if your pass is intercepted, the diceroll that intercepted the ball would probably be good enough for a pass. Just saying Wink
Chainsaw

Post   Posted: Jan 23, 2013 - 15:42 Reply with quote Back to top

From the rulebook:
Designer's Note: Many coaches argue over the realism of rolling to intercept before rolling to pass. Like many rules in Blood Bowl it is an abstraction to make the game work better. Think instead of the interception/passing rolls as a complete series of rolls to determine the outcome of a pass rather than sequential steps.

I personally think this is a cop out. For whatever reason, they're sticking by their guns on it, even though it makes no sense. Sure the game isn't realistic, it is a fantasy game, but it all makes sense - except for this.

I mean, really, what if a throw is fumbled? How can you intercept a fumble?

Or if a throw is inaccurate - shouldn't that contribute to the interception? The new destination square determining the potential interceptors for starters. I don't buy the excuse that, "Breaking out the pass ruler again takes too long." It takes a few seconds and you just had it in hand for determining the pass - therefore it's not exactly going to get lost in the next few seconds.

Post   Posted: Jan 23, 2013 - 15:47 Reply with quote Back to top

Holy moly thread necro Chainsaw!

There's plenty that doesn't make sense. For one, turnbased. Why are his players standing still to let my guys through once I blitz a hole? They should be able to see the blitzer coming and move to cover the gap he's going to create! I say that we should do EVERYTHING AT THE SAME TIME!

Post   Posted: Jan 23, 2013 - 16:17 Reply with quote Back to top

Hitonagashi wrote:
Holy moly thread necro Chainsaw!

This.

Chainsaw wrote:
I personally think this is a cop out... it all makes sense - except for this.

It trades one "unrealism" for one "realism".

It prevents the defense from deciding if they'd rather have the ball NOT intercepted if the pass is "inaccurate", which does make some sense.

If someone is in position to Int and the thrower fumbles, that changes little, but to say "Well, since the receiver probably won't catch it and I have a better position back there, I'll let this one go" doesn't. Either you want to Int or you don't, before you know where the ball is likely to land, at the feet of the Passer, or the hands of the receiver, or on the field at his feet (and in the case of Pass Block, knowing in advance which end of the pass the ball bounces!).

More, I'm thinking there's a practical on-line aspect to it - to avoid multiple pop-ups alternating between both coaches every time there's a pass -
    O: <Pass Y/N? Select Target>
    D: <Int Y/N? Select Player> ( & any Pass Block etc.)
    O: <Resolve Pass - RR?>
    D: <Resolve Int Catch - RR?>
    O: <Resolve Safe Throw RR?> (& Catch etc.)
Oy.

This system saves waiting for one pair of popups in the middle, so Defense has everything done in one and only one "phase" and then it's all back to Offense, done.

Good choice.

(Good for online, at least - if you're playing Table Top w/ CRP, I see little problem with using exactly the flow listed above - both coaches are right there, no waiting.)

(...and what exactly do you think they do with all those dead players?...)
zakatan

Post   Posted: Jan 23, 2013 - 16:32 Reply with quote Back to top

It also says somewhere that it's kept that way to have a better chance at intercepting something. Ints are rare enough with the rule like that.