30 coaches online • Server time: 10:35
Forum Chat
Recent Forum Topics goto Post Gnomes are trashgoto Post Cindy is back?goto Post ramchop takes on the...
SearchSearch 
View previous topic Log in to check your private messages View next topic
Ehlers

Post   Posted: Aug 03, 2012 - 00:46 Reply with quote Back to top

Seems like the community is split on my commentating a match and putting it on youtube. As the blog is not really a good tool to use to debate, I am going to move the debate over here.

Blog: https://fumbbl.com/FUMBBL.php?page=blog&coach=33239

First of all I quite surprised by the respond I got.
Before you judge me, then watch the whole video. I don’t act all high and mighty that I am a better player to Purplechest. I don’t either sit and bash or trash talking him.

First of all, should I have asked if it was ok to record the match?
I should maybe have done that, but then again you can spectate game live.
Yes it would have been polite to at least inform about it, I agree on that.
You can watch the replay of the games.
People are already using the comment on matches to put a lot of details in there. Threads have been made in the past and even the GLN have articles about matches.
I use IRC a lot doing matches to talk to coaches who might spectate it. They sometimes give suggestions or comment on how I play or my opponent play.

Concerning chatlogs:
Fair point. I can block those so that it won’t be shown in the recording which goes on youtube.

The video and content in it.
I almost don’t do any analysis of what Purplechest did or if one of his moves was stupid or good.
Yes I do say that he dodges too much, but that is linked together with my own reasoning of putting players in everyone of his tacklezones. I am reasoning why I force him to dodge, as more dice are rolled the bigger chance of him rolling those 1.
These matches are commentated through my viewpoint. What are my thoughts and how am I going to react to what Purplechest did. Why I do that action over another action.

Was I being rude?
I don’t think so. Go on youtube. Watch every person who make a video of them playing. Are they being rude towards the people they are playing vs with not telling them they record the video?
Husky? Guardmanbob? Day9? Elementz? SyndicateProject?
These are just what I can remember right now.
So they recording LoL, SC2 or what ever game, Are they rude people? They don’t ask for permission and should they?

Comment other matches:
So someone made a point that I should comment other matches than my own. First of all I find it much more rewarding to watch someone and be able to hear his opinion of why he did as he did (Why I encourage others to record too). Secondly if I everytime need to seek permission from BOTH players then it will most likely become too time consuming. So if you want me to do a commentary on your match, then you approach me in the future. Will wait and see how this debate is going.
PainState

Post   Posted: Aug 03, 2012 - 01:14 Reply with quote Back to top

Here is what I have learned from all the years of doing my Milford reports for majors.

1)When I first started doing the reports/picks/commentary. I put some focus in on the actual coaches. Had CR and so forth. Had back page editorials about the actual match giving milfords perspective on actual in game tactics.

I got some negative feed back from the coaches. I addressed some of these issues in chat with a lot of coaches.

2) The general feed back was that talking about coaches tactics/choices in the milford posts was just not "right" akin to making accusations that the other person could not respond to.

3)They also felt it was just bad "form" talking about other coaches choices in an open forum. Once again back to the perception that you are taking a "shot" when the other coach has no option for a retort.

Now some coaches could care less. Others get really testy about such matters.

So I made a change. Which might IMO make your recordings more fun and have a lot less chance of wading some coaches panties.

Example: That AG1 mummy has the ball and attempts to dodge through 2 TZ, 1TZ and break for the endzone. It fails of course. Instead of talking about the rational of why a coach would do such a thing. Because his rational would require some sort of discussion.

This is a better approach

Instead approach it from the fluff perspective. Oh My! That Tomb guardian made a epic break for the endzone. Oh MY!!!!! He threaded the needle on a awesome dodge....Going for the break out!!! DENIED!!!!!!!!! Oh looks like some of those wrappings came off....he is down for a KO!!!!!!!!! Ball is loose........

It is all about fluff and fun. Every coach loves fluff and fun.

Not every coach likes in game disection of the rational of why coach did X instead of Y. No matter what your intentions for some it will allways wad the panties so tight it will turn into a thong....Boxers into thongs...it is never a good scene.

In the end if this is something you really like to do, it is fun for you. Then change your approach to strictly talking about the match in a fun and fluff filled way. Steer clear of any ingame disection of the actual tactics used by the coaches.

I think you would find the feed back very positive and coaches pinning for more.

Just my 2 cents of advice.

Post   Posted: Aug 03, 2012 - 01:27 Reply with quote Back to top

i have no interest myself in this kind of broadcast, but i wouldn't mind having my games commented.

I actually think it would be a nice input to have a feedback from fellow coaches.

Anyway, we all comment while specing games, may they be BB, football or whatever real sports we watch on TV.

Post   Posted: Aug 03, 2012 - 01:39 Reply with quote Back to top

I wouldn't mind participating as a player in a match with two chatty commentators who could comment, criticise and joke as much about the plays, player names and what not going on on the pitch. Surprised

Just throwing that out there because it's that kinda format that would make me interested to watch one hour of recorded blood bowl. Smile

Thanks to the BBRC for all the great work you did.
Araznaroth

Post   Posted: Aug 03, 2012 - 02:28 Reply with quote Back to top

I always liked the idea of having two coaches doing fluffy comments during final tourny games, for all to read, kinda like Bob and Jim. Offcouse they should only comment on things that just went on and not contemplating possible +'s or -'s on rolls. Smile

And Miford rocks!!!
Macavity

Post   Posted: Aug 03, 2012 - 05:01 Reply with quote Back to top

Yes, before putting something someone else does on youtube you should ask. Beyond that, no issues. I'd be happy to participate, personally. My chatting is incredible and the world should know!

Post   Posted: Aug 03, 2012 - 05:12 Reply with quote Back to top

In my opinion it's not much to discuss really.

BB commentary is good stuff for the community.

To improve the product, comment on a game you are not playing yourself, and get permission from both coaches (takes two minutes to ask).

No need to be this defensive about it Ehlers, it's a good initiative Smile

Putting the romantic in necromantic since 2010

Last edited by Balle2000 on %b %03, %2012 - %05:%Aug; edited 1 time in total
licker

Post   Posted: Aug 03, 2012 - 05:14 Reply with quote Back to top

I guess he asked himself...

What the hell people you cannot possibly be serious complaining about this.

Ask permission... that's farking ridiculous. You don't want anyone to see your play? That's unpossible you realize. Short of just not playing.

You're worried about what YOU say in the chat? Good lord it's as though no one here understands what it means to be on the internet. Don't say anything you don't want anyone else to hear/say.

It's not that freaking hard. Ehlers did something awesome for FUMBBL, and the girls are crying about spilt milk.
Balle2000

Post   Posted: Aug 03, 2012 - 05:16 Reply with quote Back to top

licker wrote:
Ask permission... that's farking ridiculous.

The best reason for asking permission, it only takes two minutes, and it avoids any unpleasantness like we are witnessing in this very thread. Relax guy.

... and what PainState said!

Putting the romantic in necromantic since 2010
licker

Post   Posted: Aug 03, 2012 - 05:35 Reply with quote Back to top

I'm the one who needs to relax?

right, because I'm the one crying about something awesome that someone did on THEIR OWN GAME to hopefully generate more publicity for the site.

I cannot fathom why anyone is complaining about this. Well actually I can, but I'm being polite tonight :p
Woodstock

Post   Posted: Aug 03, 2012 - 06:08 Reply with quote Back to top

Ehlers, you do know even the big guys need to ask permission to do live casts? Doing replay casts however is something different.
Severedunit

Post   Posted: Aug 03, 2012 - 06:14 Reply with quote Back to top

The only issue I have with this is recording of a assumed private conversation even though we should all know better. While getting chatty with a friendly coach one may offer a bit of personal info that he never wanted broadcast on Youtube. Simply informing both coaches that this game will be recorded and/or blurring out the chat window will fix this issue and then I really couldn't care less after that.
krysskroz

Post   Posted: Aug 03, 2012 - 06:25 Reply with quote Back to top

We can see when we have a spectator, so there shouldn't be any presumption of privacy at that point. You see that little 1 appear, you start talking in a manner that you don't mind strangers witnessing. I happen to think it is a great idea. Asking permission to post the video might not be too bad though as a simple courtesy to the coaches involved, but again it shouldn't matter since anyone can watch replays and spectate.

Post   Posted: Aug 03, 2012 - 06:49 Reply with quote Back to top

Ehlers wrote:

Was I being rude?
I don’t think so. Go on youtube. Watch every person who make a video of them playing. Are they being rude towards the people they are playing vs with not telling them they record the video?
Husky? Guardmanbob? Day9? Elementz? SyndicateProject?
These are just what I can remember right now.
So they recording LoL, SC2 or what ever game, Are they rude people? They don’t ask for permission and should they?

Guys like Husky DO get permission before they post matches on YouTube. It's not like it takes a long time to type "Hey, do you mind if I post this on YouTube?". Some people aren't going to want their games posted on a site like that and you should respect that. Some spectators aren't going to want what they said in chat posted on YouTube. You should respect that. Blur out the chat. If you don't want to take the 45 seconds to type "Hey, do you mind if I post this on YouTube?" then blur out the opposing team name. Most people won't care and many will be happy to have their games posted on YouTube, but some won't and you should respect that. You weren't the only one playing in the game.
danielcollins

Post   Posted: Aug 03, 2012 - 08:24 Reply with quote Back to top

Woodstock wrote:
Ehlers, you do know even the big guys need to ask permission to do live casts? Doing replay casts however is something different.

and part of the reason why it is different is because people have to "release" their downloads of starcraft2. They aren't available to the public, which is a big difference to here on fumbbl.
 Jump to: