42 coaches online • Server time: 10:55
Forum Chat
Recent Forum Topics goto Post Gnomes are trashgoto Post FDL only 3 spots lef...goto Post Secret League Americ...
SearchSearch 
View previous topic Log in to check your private messages View next topic
Pentalarc

Post   Posted: Jan 21, 2013 - 05:16 Reply with quote Back to top

Hmmm, that's true. I was thinking of wrestle more as a (personal defensive skill) i.e., being able to avoid the armor roll on a both down.
Smeat

Post   Posted: Jan 21, 2013 - 18:39 Reply with quote Back to top

DrDeath wrote:
Blitzers are expensive for their price...they make very good 'Safeties' for marking ballhandlers ('Blitzer' is a terrible description for this player, unless skilled up appropriately)...

+1

Diving Tackle + Jump Up = marker/sweeper, not traditional "Blitzer". When unskilled, their main advantage is adding another four solid MA 7 to the team, and the fact that they can go several different directions from there (as the_Sage points out).

Also, for anyone (OP or other) who wants more reading material, I'll toss these out - some are better than others, and few (if any) are "bibles", but they can offer some good insights and pointers from Coaches who have played a lot of that Race.

(...and what exactly do you think they do with all those dead players?...)
licker

Post   Posted: Jan 21, 2013 - 18:53 Reply with quote Back to top

nm,

I resemble that remark
DrDeath

Post   Posted: Jan 23, 2013 - 19:31 Reply with quote Back to top

@Sage - yes I see your reasoning on the blitzers, they do become good players in time and yes you need to skill them up. But personally I'd still focus on the catchers first. Buying all 4 blitzers early on would cost you a whopping 440k - a massive part of a young team's value. And for that huge outlay they aren't very effective to begin with - neither good scorers or blitzers.

Slann aren't that squishy apart from their catchers (AV8 for a 60k linemen is fine), so I'd give the catchers some blodge and sidestep protection asap before your opponents get too bashy. The catchers can then help the others stay in play by reliably dodging away and lending assists, instead of being a liability by getting squished and leaving the team outnumbered. Yes you do need to skill blitzers too, but you can always do that with hand-offs on easy walk-in touchdowns. I just think if you don't start with lots of catchers you probably won't get many TD opportunities anyway, the team will lose a lot of opening games, and when you do finally buy in rookie catchers they will be even more vulnerable to higher tv opposition... but that's just my opinion.

If you're in for the long haul your approach might build a nice high tv team (at the expense of opening losses), you're a good coach so that might well work for you. But I think a coach who's struggling with slann (as Pentalarc has posted) would find your build very hard.
happygrue

Post   Posted: Jan 23, 2013 - 20:17 Reply with quote Back to top

As someone who has started a lot of slann teams (more than 5) that have gone on to do fairly well, I would suggest that the slann roster is one that you can take in very different directions. Ask yourself, is my goal to win more early on or to build this team up for, say, a major? Krox and 3 catchers is a great build for winning early games, but is bound to take a beating early too, and it's hard to add blitzers to a team at 1400-1500 that already has nice developed catchers.

I don't like starting with that build, because the goal of all of my teams is to develop them to high or at least mid level TV (high enough that they could play in a tournament), and to have a good shot at that I personally think they need developed blitzers. My favorite starting roster is krox and 2 blitzers (no catchers). Score only with the blitzers and DON'T leap around a lot unless you really need to. This is hard to do, and many not help your record at the start, but once the blitzers have a few skills then you can add catchers and skill them up quickly and easily.

Obviously catchers are great at what they do, but (and it's a bit BUT) they are hands down THE squishiest non-stunty player in the game. Starting your roster with three of them on a team that doesn't have any skills and is likely to be down players early means that they are just big fat targets at low TV.

Slann catchers are the only player that checks off ALL the boxes:
    1. st 2 (so can be easily blitzed with 3d even from rookie teams)
    2. no defensive skills (other catchers and stunties at least have dodge)
    3. slower than all other st 2 catchers
    4. av 7

Even elf teams look bashy against you with their 7 ma blitzers with block. Personally, I love to play against a catcher slann build at low TV with almost any race. If their dice are hot, perhaps there is not much you can do because you lack skills and may turn it over (and those slann catchers do love turnovers), but if you force them to dodge and leap they *should* run out of RR, and you CAN force them to do that because they have few skills and little blocking game. I take a block or better yet a block/MB blitzer and just hit the catchers with 3db until they don't get back up again.

In summary, if your goal is to keep them alive I would consider a catcherless build (or maybe one just to run the ball). If your goal is to win at low TV without any real plans to keep them alive or build higher than krox and 3 catchers is the way to go.
PaddyMick

Post   Posted: Jan 24, 2013 - 16:46 Reply with quote Back to top

I just started a Slann team. I'll be giving the ogres a rest as these guys seem like even more fun Smile

My play style tends towards high risk/high reward so they are ideal for me.

Went with 3 catchers, krox, 4rr. I'm gonna get some blizers asap.

In my mind they are most effective at low tv vs slow bashers (running rings around dwarves for example) or passing elves (better armour and interception threats).

The bogey team though has gotta be High Elves right? Armour, higher strength catchers, good blitzers, better agility. At least safe throw is wasted (and a coach who hasn't read the rules for VLL might get a surprise). Close second would be Humans and third Orcs.

All changes at higher TV obv but I'll see what it's like when I get there.
PaddyMick

Post   Posted: Jan 24, 2013 - 16:56 Reply with quote Back to top

Question: what's all this I keep reading about Diving Tackle stacking well with Jump Up? Why's that? From what I can make out, you can't jump up and dt in your opponents turn.

I guess jump up helps you get your dt where you need it in your turn though......
gjopie

Post   Posted: Jan 24, 2013 - 17:00 Reply with quote Back to top

PaddyMick wrote:
Question: what's all this I keep reading about Diving Tackle stacking well with Jump Up? Why's that? From what I can make out, you can't jump up and dt in your opponents turn.

I guess jump up helps you get your dt where you need it in your turn though......

Exactly. You dive and tackle them in their turn, and then on your turn you can stand up and have full movement as if nothing had happened!

Post   Posted: Jan 24, 2013 - 17:04 Reply with quote Back to top

You can dt in your oppos turn, and then with jump up get a full turn in your next turn (bar tackle zones) (and providing JU works) (and you remember he has JU) (and you know how it works) (And you don't want him to catch a ball and move on). But apart from that it's a perfect combo!
PaddyMick

Post   Posted: Jan 24, 2013 - 17:05 Reply with quote Back to top

ah
right
gotcha Wink

same with PO and Wrestle then I guess, good stuff

Jump Up = most underrated skill eva imo
harvestmouse

Post   Posted: Jan 24, 2013 - 18:03 Reply with quote Back to top

PaddyMick wrote:
ah
right
gotcha Wink

same with PO and Wrestle then I guess, good stuff

Jump Up = most underrated skill eva imo

Dunno, I've really gone off of it in CRP.
gjopie

Post   Posted: Jan 24, 2013 - 18:09 Reply with quote Back to top

I think you're being a bit unfair to it as a combo.

harvestmouse wrote:
(bar tackle zones)

Yes, but that is an issue with or without jump up.

harvestmouse wrote:
(and providing JU works)

Which it always does if all you want to do is move. If you want to block, fine, you need to pass the roll - but as with all these kinds of things in blood bowl, if it is really important, use your blitz.

harvestmouse wrote:
(and you remember he has JU)

Well that is on you I'm afraid. I suppose we could add a popup to the client to remind you. Wink

harvestmouse wrote:
(and you know how it works)

Again, you should have read the rules.

harvestmouse wrote:
(And you don't want him to catch a ball and move on)

Fair enough. But without jump up, you still have that problem, only now your DT is lying on the floor and has to move 3 less squares.

And it is worth considering that without DT, in lots of cases you wouldn't have had a shot at moving the ball around anyway.

I think it is a good combo. Certainly if you are going to use diving tackle, jump up helps.