49 coaches online • Server time: 19:08
Forum Chat
Recent Forum Topics goto Post Secret League Americ...goto Post Gnomes are trashgoto Post Roster Tiers
SearchSearch 
View previous topic Log in to check your private messages View next topic
Poll
What kind of pirate do ye be?
Yarr!
36%
 36%  [ 12 ]
Collecting booty like it's my duty!
27%
 27%  [ 9 ]
More pie, I don't care what follows the pie!
18%
 18%  [ 6 ]
The kind who thinks that the captain of the highest placing stunty team could write a better poll for the start of next season than this sorry sod!
18%
 18%  [ 6 ]
Total Votes : 33

jamesfarrell129

Post   Posted: Jan 03, 2014 - 15:49 Reply with quote Back to top

Whilst I like these meta-groups, I do wonder if they aren't entirely helping with the purpose of diversity. I tend to activate with (at least) 3 or 4 teams, having set myself goals - usually playing a set number of games with each race, rather than just putting up one team for the scheduler... so will never get close to finishing a "sprint". Although to be fair, I probably struggle to get 16 games in the Box in most 2-month spells anyway... so maybe I'm just not the target audience.

Either way, good to see some different races being played - though why this couldn't have been running when my (pirate-themed) goblins started off by going 3/1/0 I don't know, rather than now when they're in losing mode! Razz

Post   Posted: Jan 03, 2014 - 18:46 Reply with quote Back to top

@jamesfarrell129 Short answer: I agree. Longer answer: It would be great to work out such a system, and that was my original goal - we were working on it before the scheduler change, but such a scheme gets very complex when you start looking at the nuts and bolts. Personally, I like to activate lots of teams and so I have finished few sprints myself, but I think a larger number of players do like to activate one or two teams at a time. If we take just a few games from some teams and cobble them together (like a reverse E.L.F.) into a score, then what teams do we include? Does getting lucky and winning three games in a row with a team you are going to have a great score and a string of a tie and two losses mean you have no chance? How do we automate such a thing? I have been dreaming of it for over a year now, but in practice there are quite a few hurdles.

So with the scheduler change and koadah's existing (excellent!) work setup to grab sprints already this seemed like something that would help that we could also put into effect quickly, even if it isn't perfect. And just a word on sprints: yes it's tough to get 16 games with a challenging race, but there are a number of good reasons to pick a number like 16 games over a two month period: coaches who regularly play the box *could* get that number of games if they try. It's large enough to moderate short runs of good/bad luck, and since the games have to be consecutive it doesn't cater as much to coaches that have time to play over and over until they get 16 total wins (or the coaches who play the most would usually win).

So with all that said, I have hopes that we can find a way to give some badges for playing a few games with a bunch of races (Something like 5-8+ games with each of the 3 stunties, etc.), but we're working on basics first. Hopefully stuff will continue to expand in future seasons, so stay tuned (and thanks for the feedback, I think you have a valid point)!

EDIT: One final point - at the end of the day if we get just a handful of coaches to do something like play 16 games of High Elves when they would have played Chaos or Dwarves or Chaos Dwarves instead, then that is worth it to me. Worth handing out a badge I think!

Post   Posted: Jan 03, 2014 - 19:25 Reply with quote Back to top

I want a badge. Give me badges!
happygrue

Post   Posted: Jan 03, 2014 - 19:51 Reply with quote Back to top

baelnic wrote:

Finish a sprint with any ARR race and you will get one! Do more than that and get more than that! It's still as secret as buried treasure so I can't tell you just yet... but wait for it!

Post   Posted: Jan 03, 2014 - 19:56 Reply with quote Back to top

happygrue wrote:
baelnic wrote:

Finish a sprint with any ARR race and you will get one! Do more than that and get more than that! It's still as secret as buried treasure so I can't tell you just yet... but wait for it!

I will gladly pay you Tuesday for a badge today.
happygrue

Post   Posted: Jan 03, 2014 - 22:26 Reply with quote Back to top

News Flash: The overall 1st/2nd/3rd place badges are on display on the group page. Be sure to join the group with a team to get the PMs about season start/end, rules changes and winners!

Also, a reminder that scoring is now 4/2/1 (Win/Tie/Loss). The group page has been updated as well.

Post   Posted: Jan 04, 2014 - 02:18 Reply with quote Back to top

Many thanks to the very kind Admins who renamed my elfs

To: Grrl PowARR!

Let's go ARR! Elf!

Two dead in the first two games! This elfing is an expensive business.

Edit: It only took two games to get into the Elf top 10. Wink

Post   Posted: Jan 04, 2014 - 02:26 Reply with quote Back to top

I'm in with Vampires, just chalked up a win too!
Kondor

Post   Posted: Jan 04, 2014 - 02:40 Reply with quote Back to top

Ok. When does season 2 start. This is just the inspiration I need to run with my elfs/vampire/high elf teams. Or, when does season 1 end? Do I have time to go for season 1?

Played a match against Jumboparagon's flings. Inspired me to get playing.
koadah

Post   Posted: Jan 04, 2014 - 02:42 Reply with quote Back to top

Kondor wrote:
Ok. When does season 2 start. This is just the inspiration I need to run with my elfs/vampire/high elf teams. Or, when does season 1 end? Do I have time to go for season 1?

Played a match against Jumboparagon's flings. Inspired me to get playing.

Season ends end of Jan. New one begins immediately at start of Feb.

Elf/High Elfs have not played many games so far so it will be easy to catch up. I only started Friday night.

Post   Posted: Jan 04, 2014 - 03:38 Reply with quote Back to top

Perfect. Thanks Koadah. My family is out of town this month so I will be getting in a good deal of BB time. Time for some elf ball.
Jumboparagon

Post   Posted: Jan 04, 2014 - 04:02 Reply with quote Back to top

cya in there Kondor. just finished (on a limp) the fling sprint. time for some elf ball of my own \o/
Overhamsteren

Post   Posted: Jan 04, 2014 - 17:19 Reply with quote Back to top

We got ourselfs a shiny!

Thanks to the BBRC for all the great work you did.
happygrue

Post   Posted: Jan 04, 2014 - 18:24 Reply with quote Back to top

ARR! Looking fierce like a High Elf on the high seas!

Post   Posted: Jan 04, 2014 - 19:43 Reply with quote Back to top

First ARR game in me hearties. Drew it up against some fellow pirate ogres captained by none other than Kryten. Twas a fine skirmish and one I be a might satisfied with the draw I scored. The first half he was deviled by snakes but passed the rot on to me at halftime. The lads had no land legs and could not dodge to save thar souls. The bloomin oversized strength six clod of an ogre managed an interception in a pair of tackle zones to give em a shot at the draw.

ARR. I smell the sweet odor of revenge in the works on the high seas.

----------------------------

Couple of questions. How does scoring go? Do I need to report matches somewhere or are they updated automatically?
 Jump to: