27 coaches online • Server time: 02:14
Forum Chat
Recent Forum Topics goto Post All Star Bowl!goto Post FUMBBL HAIKU'Sgoto Post Record the length of...
SearchSearch 
View previous topic Log in to check your private messages View next topic
JimmyFantastic

Post   Posted: Apr 09, 2014 - 20:55 Reply with quote Back to top

I can see that, which is why I can see that the only thing that the vast majority of coaches care about in perpetual environments is survivability.
It's why Orcs and Dwarves dominated LRB4 and why Clawpomb dominates now.
People say they want "diversity" and "competitiveness" but mostly just want to keep their precious mens alive.

Post   Posted: Apr 09, 2014 - 20:58 Reply with quote Back to top

PainState wrote:
This team has played 81 total games and used J-men in 78 of them

One time League Champion and 3 time runner up in a league of HEAVY BASH.

A league team from a coach with how many games under his belt?

Apples to Crab Apples.
JimmyFantastic

Post   Posted: Apr 09, 2014 - 21:02 Reply with quote Back to top

https://www.fumbbl.com/p/team?op=view&showmatches=1&team_id=740962

This team got 2 players killed in their first match and I played every game after the first with at least 2 or 3 JM. It doesn't even matter. I didn't bother wasting money to replace them.
In Box or Ranked it may have become a problem due the silly "strive for 11 players" rule which seems a rule specifically designed to screw over Elf team building for no apparent reason.

Post   Posted: Apr 09, 2014 - 21:03 Reply with quote Back to top

JimmyFantastic wrote:
I can see that, which is why I can see that the only thing that the vast majority of coaches care about in perpetual environments is survivability.
People say they want "diversity" and "competitiveness" but mostly just want to keep their precious mens alive.

*YAWN*

Same tired argument eh?

It's not that people are tired of seeing the same kind of team over and over, the same boring game play over and over.

Oh you won the toss? Here's 8 turns of hoping for KOs so that I can possibly enjoy the last 8 turns.

It's really not got nearly as much to do with pixel hugging as you make it out to. Besides it's been established that the biggest pixel huggers are the cpomb spammers.
PainState

Post   Posted: Apr 09, 2014 - 21:05 Reply with quote Back to top

mrt1212 wrote:
PainState wrote:

Apples to Crab Apples.

LOL...oh this is classic stuff

Post   Posted: Apr 09, 2014 - 21:09 Reply with quote Back to top

Even more important, Both my example s dont even involve clawpomb, just bad luck and potentially worse positioning. I own up to my skills being a factor in my absurd death rate.

But neither of these situations are something that involve long lived teams and clinging to a storied history, they are frustrating situations unto themselves that less patient people will react to poorly (I.e. stop playing or play with teams that can dish and take Cas).

I dont think the answer is toughen up sallie, I think its fibd a way to encourage people to stick with adversity through reward.
JimmyFantastic

Post   Posted: Apr 09, 2014 - 21:11 Reply with quote Back to top

licker wrote:
JimmyFantastic wrote:

It's not that people are tired of seeing the same kind of team over and over, the same boring game play over and over.
Besides it's been established that the biggest pixel huggers are the cpomb spammers.

Yes, that's what I said.

Obviously the desire to keep their team alive is why most people use Chaos.
This results in people playing mostly vs Chaos.

It's just the same as LRB4 and it ain't ever gonna change cos what most people want from online matchmaking is just survival.

Post   Posted: Apr 09, 2014 - 21:23 Reply with quote Back to top

PainState wrote:
Well I think it is time to throw a match on this thread and blow this up.

Dump 5 gallons of gas on top of all this and strike the match

MERGE RANKED AND BOX!!!

Allow all open play teams to pick and choose to enter the scheduler every 15 minutes or arrange matches on the game finder.

Solves every single issue related to getting a match.

This + Give each team that has only played matchmade games a badge, and allow an option in the matchmaker to only play vs other such "pure" teams.

That has the con that it splits the MM up a little bit (though less split up than it is today), but it has the benefit that fans of the box as it is today get the option to play on in the exact same way.

For the players there are literally no downsides to this option, though it would require work by Christer.
mrt1212

Post   Posted: Apr 09, 2014 - 21:23 Reply with quote Back to top

PainState wrote:
mrt1212 wrote:
PainState wrote:

Apples to Crab Apples.

LOL...oh this is classic stuff

I just dont see how your anecdote is indicative of user experience in box play and end user frustration with constantly picked apart teams. If these ailing teams make it to 15 then ill have a whole new kettle of fish to tangle with.

You and jimmy have almost 4000 games between you. It shouldnt take half that amount to push through the frustration fair game you voluntarily play for fun
JimmyFantastic

Post   Posted: Apr 09, 2014 - 21:28 Reply with quote Back to top

backelie wrote:
PainState wrote:
Well I think it is time to throw a match on this thread and blow this up.

Dump 5 gallons of gas on top of all this and strike the match

MERGE RANKED AND BOX!!!

Allow all open play teams to pick and choose to enter the scheduler every 15 minutes or arrange matches on the game finder.

Solves every single issue related to getting a match.

This + Give each team that has only played matchmade games a badge, and allow an option in the matchmaker to only play vs other such "pure" teams.

That has the con that it splits the MM up a little bit (though less split up than it is today), but it has the benefit that fans of the box as it is today get the option to play on in the exact same way.

For the players there are literally no downsides to this option, though it would require work by Christer.

To be honest I am as hardcore box as you can get and I don't even think the "pure" badge of honour thing is required.
I think some combination of this idea with Garions "unranked" division idea would solve a hell of a lot of the issues people have.

Post   Posted: Apr 09, 2014 - 21:33 Reply with quote Back to top

Yup - unranked is the future. However I'm looking forward to the league changes much more than anything. They're gonna be awesome.

Post   Posted: Apr 09, 2014 - 21:39 Reply with quote Back to top

[L]eague is the new [U]nranked. I don't think we need two of them.

Post   Posted: Apr 09, 2014 - 21:40 Reply with quote Back to top

Garion wrote:
However I'm looking forward to the league changes much more than anything.

Iam looking forward to that also...It will take the KPL league to the elite level of leagues and my work load to run the thing will triple as to many coaches want in on the action.

Post   Posted: Apr 09, 2014 - 21:44 Reply with quote Back to top

SzieberthAdam wrote:
[L]eague is the new [U]nranked. I don't think we need two of them.

Naaa, league is really fir that, leagues. If there was a ranked division fir competitive play and an unranked one where people could just get quick games with no effect on cr or win percentage. A division that is specifically about fun, learning the game, trying out silly builds and so on and so on

Post   Posted: Apr 09, 2014 - 21:46 Reply with quote Back to top

mrt1212 wrote:

You and jimmy have almost 4000 games between you. It shouldnt take half that amount to push through the frustration fair game you voluntarily play for fun

Ok, here is the thing for me. Is Blood Bowl frustrating as hell some times, oh, yeah, I had loads of fun on that 14 game losing stretch, Shocked

FUMBBL is so much more that playing "the game".

I found my frustration went away real fast once I found my niche on the site.
1) I love the majors so I put a lot of effort into covering them and doing Milford updates.

2) I like running and playing in the League DIV. So I have focused all my attention on getting the KPL off the ground...it takes a lot of work to start a league from scratch and make it last.

3) I love me some Blood Sea Buccaneers. That is my main team and I play them when ever I can. I love team building and rebuilding them when they slagged. I no longer care if they go from TV 2260 to 500TV, which they just did about 50 games ago.

Find the aspect of FUMBBL you like and focus in on it and forget all the other stuff going on.