57 coaches online • Server time: 16:27
Forum Chat
Recent Forum Topics goto Post Gnomes are trashgoto Post FUMBBL HAIKU'Sgoto Post Gnome Roster - how a...
SearchSearch 
View previous topic Log in to check your private messages View next topic
mrt1212

Post   Posted: Apr 09, 2014 - 23:33 Reply with quote Back to top

So in the general thread an idea occurred to me:

Why not make a gold prize lottery for teams that suffer from death so they can restock faster and participate more.

Mechanics:

Entry: For every death you suffer in game you gain one entry into the lottery. The entry is connected only with the team that suffered the death. So if you had 4 deaths on Example Team you would gain 4 entries into the lottery for Example Team. If you had 4 deaths on Example Team 1 and 2 deaths on Example Team 2, you would have a total of 6 entries but they would still be bound to their respective team.

Prize Pool:

The amount of gold is fixed and based on lineman level replacements - if you suffered 4 deaths on Example Team and Example Team was Skaven you would get 200,000 gold if your entry won.

Alternative idea might be you are awarded enough gold to replace all journeymen up to the amount of death suffered, minus whatever gold you currently have on hand. This way teams that purposefully play with journeymen aren't rewarded any gold if they can actually afford replacements for them.

Draw Method:

Somebody with a stronger math background and implementation of random picking would need to develop this in detail but the general gist is, every entry would be associated with a team, and like the lottery for the NBA the number of entries increases proportional to the amount of pain you suffered. Furthermore you can scale the lottery to the amount of teams affected by death - maybe 25% of teams entered will win compensation.

Draws happen once a month at a specified time and people are notified of compensation via PM.

Why I think this is a good idea:

1. It doesnt change any in game rules or mechanics, and is merely a league house rule.

2. It has an inherently interesting angle to it - a lottery where your participation and misfortune are aligned together.

3. It's hard trying to exploit the lottery since death is hard to purposefully induce and the compensation is only lineman level replacements and theres the entire possibility that you whiff while tanking.

4. It doesn't reward teams with cash already since for the most part those teams don't suffer death based attrition and can easily replace killed players. using my secondary idea for cash where you deduct any award from current cash balance it would be impossible for a high level chaos or dwarf team with lots of gold to benefit from this.

5. It keeps people interested in a regularly occurring event to see if their team is affected. If a good portion of coaches are receiving compensation gold, it stands to reason that interest will be retained and games will be played with those ailing teams instead of kicked to the dustbin.

6. It sends a positive message which is Box is here to be competitive without being punitive in that pursuit. It provides at least some hope to coaches who have been wrecked that they might be able to press on with their team. It would happen infrequently enough that death is still felt.

I know this is a longshot to be implemented but it seems like a balanced way to prevent washout while not being easily exploited and it doesnt have dire consequences if it doesn't pan out or it gets too out of hand. You simply turn it off again.

Last edited by mrt1212 on %b %10, %2014 - %00:%Apr; edited 2 times in total
Wreckage

Post   Posted: Apr 09, 2014 - 23:38 Reply with quote Back to top

Quote:

1. It doesnt change any in game rules or mechanics, and is merely a league house rule.

You're posting this in the blackbox section of the forum. So I take it this is not merely a league house rule.

It's a major rule change and shouldn't happen. If this route is taken there are still far better solutions that have been already proposed.

Last edited by Wreckage on %b %10, %2014 - %00:%Apr; edited 2 times in total
mrt1212

Post   Posted: Apr 09, 2014 - 23:45 Reply with quote Back to top

It would be applied to black box but the point with that statement is that its not an integral rule change like affecting Piling On or changing rosters. It is an...unobtrusive mechanic that benefits only adversely affected teams. It doesn't interfere with match making in the same way that other ideas would such as Licker's which I fully support.

It might not be the best idea but it certainly isn't the biggest change, an obvious change, or an easily exploitable change. I certainly don't think it is inherently offensive to any one particular person except the rule set purist - but hey, dirty trick cards are coming.

Last edited by mrt1212 on %b %10, %2014 - %00:%Apr; edited 1 time in total
robocoyote

Post   Posted: Apr 09, 2014 - 23:48 Reply with quote Back to top

Or get on IRC make some friends and play ranked.

I dont like Blackbox so i dont play there. sounds like that should be you too
mrt1212

Post   Posted: Apr 09, 2014 - 23:57 Reply with quote Back to top

robocoyote wrote:

It's more of me looking out for other people who play box and would like to foster as much interest in it as possible. I like a lot about box's random part, I just don't like the inability to get games at my leisure and having to face similar teams again. This dovetails with lessening the burden of bad fortune for other players who I believe are turned off from playing Box by increased odds of bad fortune.
Wreckage

Post   Posted: Apr 10, 2014 - 00:02 Reply with quote Back to top

Ok, to not appear rude, I'll make some arguments.

1. Accessing linemen isn't the issue. A lot of people are perfectly content playing with loners. In this ruleset you'll be mainly worried about building players up. I have a box pro elf team with 800k. Money ain't the issue.

2. Even if money was the issue, a lottery wouldn't fix the maintenance issues in the league because it isn't a reliable instrument for anyone.

3. In case of doubt there is no reason whatsoever to take an agile team. Bashy teams get outbashed all the same.

Now the real reasons.

1. A lottery is complex. It's not something that could be implemented with two lines of code. I don't think the owner would bother with it.

2. The community doesn't make the rules. We have sometimes a decent shot to see stuff happen in league. If something works out in league that is maybe a basis for making something work in an official division. But I don't see in what sense that suggestion could be done in league.

3. The whole idea is still very obscure. There is no real suggestion about what you actually have in mind in terms of mechanics for it to work.
Of course one could argue about it, ironing out the details but previously said reasons make it pointless, because unfortunatly it's just not going to work or happen.
mrt1212

Post   Posted: Apr 10, 2014 - 00:17 Reply with quote Back to top

Oh, I don't take it as rude at all, no worries.

I don't know how to elaborate on my idea any more than I have, honestly. I guess its kind of half baked but what parts are unclear? I am terrible at explaining things sometimes so maybe I'll take some time to flesh this out more but I think the basic principle is a good one - you have a unobtrusive mechanism that puts a ceiling on team suffering.

Maybe it isn't ready for Box, now or ever. I would at least like to get some indirect and fun ideas out there to at the very least spur some unconventional thinking and conversation.
mrt1212

Post   Posted: Apr 10, 2014 - 00:23 Reply with quote Back to top

Furthermore, I think the general idea of raffles to induce activity is a good one even if this specific idea is off the mark. You play more, you have a higher chance to win a prize.
robocoyote

Post   Posted: Apr 10, 2014 - 00:26 Reply with quote Back to top

so ranked raffles then too?

and ones for tournaments ect ect ect......
mrt1212

Post   Posted: Apr 10, 2014 - 00:30 Reply with quote Back to top

robocoyote wrote:
so ranked raffles then too?

and ones for tournaments ect ect ect......

I don't see why any division besides Box is in need of it but the merits for each division would need to be considered. I don't think ranked is hurting for activity nor are tournaments about maintaining a team over months long periods. Tournaments usually do have some award tied with it which is arbitrarily determined by organizer.

If we accept that there is a certain level of arbitrariness at fumbbl when it comes to structure of divisions, why ignore that when considering a specific and arbitrary side rule?
pythrr

Post   Posted: Apr 10, 2014 - 00:34 Reply with quote Back to top

tl;dr no

Post   Posted: Apr 10, 2014 - 00:35 Reply with quote Back to top

box and ranked are equal besides the scheduling device so any changes would probably need to be both or one of the divisions wouldn't be considered official or competitive
mrt1212

Post   Posted: Apr 10, 2014 - 00:43 Reply with quote Back to top

robocoyote wrote:
box and ranked are equal besides the scheduling device so any changes would probably need to be both or one of the divisions wouldn't be considered official or competitive

Saying box and ranked are equal looks at it from the perspective that seems unconcerned with the outcomes of that difference. I think the health of each division is more important than considerations to maintaining parity, either for the sake of comparison, or the sake of mental order.

We probably won't ever agree on that I guess, but I get what you're saying.
harvestmouse

Post   Posted: Apr 10, 2014 - 01:56 Reply with quote Back to top

robocoyote wrote:

Without wishing to derail the topic, I'd say it's more important to have IRC for blackbox. It's the most effective way to see your match come up. And if you keep missing match ups, you'll be punished for it. So it's a safety net you should use if playing box.

Back on topic. Not sure it's good or bad. I've already decided what I think should happen to box. However it's an interesting and novel idea, so kudos for that and ideas like this shouldn't be discouraged.
Cloggy

Post   Posted: Apr 10, 2014 - 06:50 Reply with quote Back to top

I will stand by my comment in the other [B]ox improvement threads. It's all about a small number of coaches who need to stop behaving like douches.

We have an adapted scheduler (mostly) because of a single guy (who shall not be named but we all know who) behaving like an absolute **** with a minmaxed Pact team.

Now people are calling for all kinds of changes to the [B]ox because a small number of coaches spams ClawPOMB and ruins everyone else's fun.

This kind of sociopath problem can NOT be fixed within the system, simply because this type of coach sees no value in the other guy's enjoyment. The [B]ox will evetnually die out and there's only a handful of people to blame for that.