30 coaches online • Server time: 10:23
Forum Chat
Recent Forum Topics goto Post All Star Bowl!goto Post FUMBBL HAIKU'Sgoto Post Record the length of...
SearchSearch 
View previous topic Log in to check your private messages View next topic
Tomay

Post   Posted: Dec 10, 2014 - 10:42 Reply with quote Back to top

I was just having a chat in #swl on IRC which is still buzzing with activity these days about the old system of finding a game in ranked.

Now that we have the new gamefinder, it seems as though #fumbbl on irc is much quieter. I definitely think that this has resulted in less of a community on the site.

I really do like the new gamefinder feature for its ease of use. Looking back it seems crazy new people were forced to learn to use irc just to get going.

I think that the loss of community is a little sad. I used to enjoy the odd conversation in #fumbbl and felt in touch with the going ons of the site.

So overall, do you think FUMBBL is better off for the changes?

Post   Posted: Dec 10, 2014 - 10:49 Reply with quote Back to top

Yes its a shame IRC is on its last legs, as IRC was a great part of the community. However the new game finder is unquestionably better for the site. I have introduced people to the site in the past (LRB4 era) and they found getting IRC up and running a MAJOR pain in the backside.

The new gamefinder means its no longer required and while that's a shame for us old folk, the newcomers to the site have a far easier customer journey (to use a business phrase), its all far more intuitive. Getting and keeping new people is the most important part of a sites continual growth.

/thread Razz

Post   Posted: Dec 10, 2014 - 10:58 Reply with quote Back to top

yup mentioned that as well, as we recognized a huge drop in community activity at our channel and league (DFFL).

as a soultion it would be very cool to have something like an "autojoin" in the irc, when coaches logon to the site.
even better would be a chat window/section on the page, where you could see a query and whats going on in chat.
koadah

Post   Posted: Dec 10, 2014 - 11:08 Reply with quote Back to top

I think that Christer is looking into a chat replacement. Maybe based around the gamefinder page.

Even so, part of the problem with the old chat was that knobheads were allowed to rule it for too long. It wasn't a place for everyone.

Fumbbl may be quieter but to me it feels a lot nicer.

Post   Posted: Dec 10, 2014 - 11:12 Reply with quote Back to top

I use the top link HERE

I am sure it wasn't there a while ago when I was first trying to get IRC up and running.
harvestmouse

Post   Posted: Dec 10, 2014 - 11:15 Reply with quote Back to top

FUMBBL has got so much easier to use, which is probably missed a little with the vets. I think how difficult it was to set up for those that had no computer literacy probably put people off. I know at the time I found it a bit daunting. I think Christer noted correctly that IRC was dropping off anyway, and needed replacing.

I think overall it's better, I do think that open League (which remember replaces academy and unranked) and Stunty do suffer with the new finder. Stunty is such a polished product now (rather than a bolt on) that it deserves more games.

My only wish is that we had the options. I'm happy to see the new stuff, but I would like the opportunity to play the old stuff too.
Verminardo

Post   Posted: Dec 10, 2014 - 11:17 Reply with quote Back to top

I hated looking for games over IRC.
Christer

Post   Posted: Dec 10, 2014 - 11:18
FUMBBL Staff
Reply with quote Back to top

One of the major contributors to the new gamefinder being developed was a decreased use of IRC. People were increasingly using PMs to organize games, which was not a good way to do it and I felt a need to come up with a system that was not reliant on IRC.

It absolutely reduced the IRC traffic since a set of people were only there for the match finding, which is a bit sad given that IRC is a really good way for direct chat.

Now, once I get past some of the more pressing things I need to do (NAFC tournament support, custom rosters in league), I have been considering an update to the gamefinder system, which will hopefully improve things even further.
Tomay

Post   Posted: Dec 10, 2014 - 11:22 Reply with quote Back to top

If there is a new gamefinder system, will the be a space for #swl?

#swl on irc is still as active as ever and it would seriously cripple the league if support was removed.

Post   Posted: Dec 10, 2014 - 11:31 Reply with quote Back to top

How would it affect SWL? If you are arranging fringe games via IRC that wouldn't change.
Tomay

Post   Posted: Dec 10, 2014 - 11:36 Reply with quote Back to top

I mean if irc was pulled down completely. SWL coaches still use irc to organise games and just generally chat.

Post   Posted: Dec 10, 2014 - 11:39 Reply with quote Back to top

It's good to hear there's plans for the future though to harness the community. I personally enjoyed the chat, even if there were some suspect characters.

Post   Posted: Dec 10, 2014 - 11:47 Reply with quote Back to top

I think Christer means he'd replace IRC with another chat function. However FUMBBL isn't really linked to IRC much anymore, so it might not make much difference to continue but with another server. Added complications though, no matter how little, does put people off.
Joemanji

Post   Posted: Dec 10, 2014 - 11:50 Reply with quote Back to top

I avoided FUMBBL for years because of what I perceived to be technical hurdles. When I did join I played only Box because of the pain of trying to arrange a game over IRC. The new GameFinder is so much better for newbies IMO.

Post   Posted: Dec 10, 2014 - 12:07
FUMBBL Staff
Reply with quote Back to top

I have no intention of removing IRC. What I want to do is to improve the layout of the gamefinder to make it better overall. In particular, I am exploring a way to do direct communication on the site (like a simple version of Facebook and Google's chat offerings).

Potentially, I'll also add some form of group chat on the site as well, but maybe only if I can find a reasonable way to do this and have it integrate with the IRC chat.

Mind you, this is long-term stuff so don't hold your breath.
 Jump to: