15 coaches online • Server time: 08:59
Forum Chat
Recent Forum Topics goto Post Secret Stunty Cup IVgoto Post ramchop takes on the...goto Post Blackbox Teams
SearchSearch 
View previous topic Log in to check your private messages View next topic
Kondor

Post   Posted: Jun 06, 2015 - 17:11 Reply with quote Back to top

So, Flings are awful blood bowl players. I think we can all agree on the. Add a couple of skills and they still suck, but they suck a little less. Many coaches fire them after their second skill if there is no stat increase or double.

I have seen that the general consensus is to take Diving Tackle and Side Step. Still, I don't know many coaches that age going to dodge away from Flings unless it is an emergency. So, they will stand there and pound the little beggars.

Consider this. Why not take sure feet as a first skill. It gives you quasi M7. For a second skill take sprint for quasi M8. For midget tossing the effect is obvious. But this will also help get that additional assist or stretch for a boot.

Again, the improvement would be marginal, as flings still suck at blood bowl but....
Lorebass

Post   Posted: Jun 06, 2015 - 17:18
FUMBBL Staff
Reply with quote Back to top

jump up all menz. then move is less of a problem.

Don't forget the +Str/mighty blow guy.
selfy_74

Post   Posted: Jun 06, 2015 - 17:18 Reply with quote Back to top

Well, you send a few down both routes. First one to skill gets SS (or DT if you prefer), second goes the sure feet route. Bob's your uncle and Fanny's your proverbial aunt. Best of both worlds.

Selfy_74: Verified Stunty Leeg Master

uzkulak

Post   Posted: Jun 06, 2015 - 17:20 Reply with quote Back to top

sidestep is always a good skill as it makes running away less necessary and combined with stunty allows more surfing opportunities.
MattDakka

Post   Posted: Jun 06, 2015 - 17:22 Reply with quote Back to top

Actually if you play in Box you should fire them if the first skill up is not a +MA,+AG or double.
I agree about Sure Feet and if you should roll +MA, +AG or a double you suddenly have a decent ball carrier/one turner.
Zed

Post   Posted: Jun 06, 2015 - 17:35 Reply with quote Back to top

as mattdakka said, at the start you can add a couple of diving tackle at least but fire as soon as you get some tv bloat.

Post   Posted: Jun 06, 2015 - 17:39 Reply with quote Back to top

Flings suck, yeah, that's why people love the team. Races are NOT meant to be balanced, and that's a good thing.

I'm not sure what you're talking about. Are you suggesting they should have a few more starting skills? That would be bad idea IMHO for the reason stated above. And if you mean "skilling up rookies", that makes sense in a league, not in Ranked or Box. Whenever you take SS or DT, your next opponent takes Block, Tackle, or Mighty Blow. If you want to be competitive, you have no choice but firing normal rollers, baring eventually 1 or 2 SS/DT.

Post   Posted: Jun 06, 2015 - 18:17 Reply with quote Back to top

Hey Kam, I don't want to make any changes to Flings. They are fun exactly as they are. I am just musing about what skills I want to take on the little fellas as a few of them do get skills before they die.

It just seems that most players go the SS/DT route. I am starting to think of going the Sure Feet/Sprint route. That gives them three chances to roll either +stat or Double before I fire them.
Wreckage

Post   Posted: Jun 06, 2015 - 18:27 Reply with quote Back to top

sure feet is always my first choice, it just happens to have a poor synergy with SS and Dt and I'm not a fan of sprint... so the player is effectively wasted after 1 skill...

so just to mix it up a little i tend to build a couple of ss,dt after i have some sure feeders...
MattDakka

Post   Posted: Jun 06, 2015 - 18:32 Reply with quote Back to top

The skill build procedure is simple:
- if the first skill up roll is either +MA, +AG or a double keep the Halfling and build him as ball carrier/1TTD player with Sure Feet, Sprint, etc.
- if the first skill up roll is a normal skill then fire the Halfling.
You really need +MA, +AG or a double before starting to add regular skills, since basic skills are not worth their cost on a MA 5 ST 2 AG 3 AV 6 Stunty player, you need a stat freak to perform the game changing miracle plays.
Wreckage

Post   Posted: Jun 06, 2015 - 18:48 Reply with quote Back to top

MattDakka wrote:
- if the first skill up roll is either +MA, +AG or a double keep the Halfling and build him as ball carrier/1TTD player with Sure Feet, Sprint, etc.
You really need +MA, +AG or a double before starting to add regular skills, since basic skills are not worth their cost on a MA 5 ST 2 AG 3 AV 6 Stunty player, you need a stat freak to perform the game changing miracle plays.

i'm not so sure +ma is even worth the extra cost over sure feet...
pubstar

Post   Posted: Jun 06, 2015 - 19:02 Reply with quote Back to top

Wreckage wrote:
MattDakka wrote:

i'm not so sure +ma is even worth the extra cost over sure feet...

I think a big difference between MA and Sure Feet is OTT potential. Even without factoring in future skill rolls, you have a greater chance not to scatter out of range with MA. Nothing worse than a successful pickup, handoff, and non-fumble throw only to find the fling scattered 8 squares away from the end zone.

Kam

Post   Posted: Jun 06, 2015 - 19:06 Reply with quote Back to top

Yup, any experienced Fling coach will tell you how bad MA5 is for OTTD. From the los, you have 60% chances to throw a MA5 fling far enough (baring 2 GFI, eventually). With MA6 (or Sprint), you have about 83% chances. That's huge.

Post   Posted: Jun 06, 2015 - 19:42 Reply with quote Back to top

I generally think of any that don't get +MA or +AG as disposable, and give them dt to keep the opponent away from the good ones.

An AG5 MA7 fling is a thing of beauty, add in sure feet and sprint...

Fumbbl Image Library - Free images to make logos, player bio pics etc
MattDakka

Post   Posted: Jun 06, 2015 - 19:53 Reply with quote Back to top

akaRenton wrote:
I generally think of any that don't get +MA or +AG as disposable, and give them dt to keep the opponent away from the good ones.

An AG5 MA7 fling is a thing of beauty, add in sure feet and sprint...

The point is you shouldn't increase your TV if possible, the higher the TV the more skills you are going to face, Diving Tackle on ST 2 players is not so effective, they can simply blocked away, yes, you can get Side Step too, then you have a 70 TV player easily removed from the pitch.
You should try to hover around TV 1050 or lower if possible.
At that TV most teams have not yet developed tacklers and killer players.
 Jump to: